CCDW: one go to gun or multiple?

Cosmodragoon

Another multiple here. I'm a big fan of having the best tool for the job, or at least the closest fit possible. Things like power and capacity are good but are largely controlled by size, which generally competes with our ability to conceal and carry comfortably throughout the day. It's a simple fact that jeans and a T-shirt in sweltering heat is a very different situation than multiple layers and/or a cover garment in colder weather. The best available tool will be different in each situation, so I have a few options in the "go to" roster.

JDBerg

cslinger: said:
That being said my SD pistols are HK P2000’s in V3.

I really think my own P2000 v3 trigger variant is my best & favorite CCW, my Walther PPS-M2 is a favorite EDC option. And I like my Gen3 19.

Red Devil

The small gun you took with you is better than the .45 at home.
And the fullsize pistol I carry is better than a mouse gun.

And the Compact slimline .45 ACP GLOCK G36 is the best of both.

That's why it's GLOCK's premiere CC pistol.

:D

(Unless it's too big. Then the P938 goes.)

Red

EM44052

Multiple guns for me. It depends on what I am wearing. If I am tucked, I like to carry a pocket pistol Ruger LCP 2, and in the summer months I usually like something lighter like my Glock 43 or S&W Shield, but depending on the clothing, I like to carry my Cajunized CZ P-01 w/ defensive carry package or my G-19. I try to carry my P-01 as much as possible. It is a fairly new hand gun for me, but it has become my favorite.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I have only one carry gun, and have had the same gun since... 2009, I believe... one holster too, since day one.

I carry a Glock 33 in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

fastlane

I carry one of three guns P938, Glock 30 sf, CZ P01. The Sig gets carried most of the time. The CZ gets carried if I’m wearing a lite coat. The Glock gets carried in the Winter months if I’m not carrying the CZ.

MINSH101

My preferred CCW is my Kimber K6s or SP101. I practice with each. Neither presents issues with carrying with the proper holster. During the summer, thinner clothing, months I carry IWB. I switch to OWB during the colder months when I have thicker jackets and/or thicker clothing on.

1MoreFord

From little to larger:

Seecamp .32
Ruger LCP
Sig P290RS 9mm
Sig P250 Compact 9mm
Sig P250 Full .45

Since I work for an unfriendly, with regards to weapons, company I don't carry much these days. The 290 is my normal carry and the newly acquired 250's are for heavier days. The .45 is my version of a car gun. Locked away in a lock box for a heavier gun to retrieve if needed.

If and when the Sig P365 becomes trustworthy I see getting one of them for normal carry.

As others have mentioned all of these are all point and shoot. No safeties. I'm not adverse to safeties though. The 2 P250's retired a Browning HP and a 1911. I've shot 1911's so much I swipe off imaginary safeties.:eek:

2wheelwander

Cold weather, hoodie, over shirt I carry a Mod 2 .45
Most carried is a CZ PCR in an Alien Gear IWB
When I was a smaller foot print its an SP-101, leather rig.
REALLY small foot print its a Smith Airweight .38 in a pocket DeSanti's holster. But I gotta have bigger pockets to fit it

Used to carry a CZ 85 or a Beretta model 84. Still liked carrying that pistol but its so nice its been shelved.

Mine is the SIG Sauer P229 chambered in 9mm.

AIWB for places I can and cannot carry. When I have to conceal carry but with a tucked shirt, I still have the option with my tuckable holster to carry my P229 concealed.

I carry it OWB at gigs where I can and seldom carry strong-side anymore as I sold my back up gun (Smith and Wesson 360PD) and got one that I'm much less fond of (Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380).

Used to do strong side with the primary and appendix with the secondary.

Anyway, yes. The SIG P229 is the one for me. Even in my hot and humid climate that feels like walking through a hot bowl of soup.

M88

ONE gun so you're always familiar with it

As stated in another post, since I often have to cross the river from PA into NJ or down into MD, I don't carry every day. Neither of those states, nor NY to the north of me, recognizes my CC permit. In fact, in NJ it's a $1000 fine PER hollow point bullet you are caught in possession of, along with the felony. Even if I don't plan on going East or South crossing state borders, when I'm out and about things come up and IF I'm carrying that day, I'm in a bind. When I do carry it's ALWAYS the little Sig P938 in 9mm. Summer, Winter... no matter, I like how concealable it is even in summer shorts and T-shirt and how it doesn't cramp my style sitting/ driving as some of my larger guns do concealed. I also agree with the premise that if you carry several guns, there is always the chance, especially in a stressful seconds count situation, that you forget which gun you have, and what to do with it for it to go bang. I'm used to my sig, I know exactly how it feels every time I pull it out so it becomes second nature if I ever have to use it.

mlk18

My primary carry guns include S&W M&P M2.0 Compact, S&W Shield PC, Ruger LCP Custom, and S&W 642 Pro. I shoot and train with all of them often and carry them based on what I am wearing or have going on that day. Much of the time I am carrying more than one. The Shield/LCP combo is probably my most frequent pairing.

Muscle memory is a real thing and I can help save your life, but so is manual of arms adaptability. So I train with many different guns with varying manuals of arms. Which brings you back to muscle memory.

pete2

Mine is a 642 revolver. Fits in nearly any pocket. I have an LC9, 2 lightweight Commanders and a G19. I may carry a Commander at some point and I may consider the G19 if I put a safety on it. The LC9 will fit in a pants pocket but I can't draw it from a pocket. If I'm gonna use a holster I'd rather carry a Commander.

RickB

I believe in the theory of always carrying a gun with the same manual of arms.

90% of the rounds I've fired in my lifetime have been through 1911s starting cocked and locked, so I've always carried a gun of that type.

When I was shopping for a compact 9mm, I tried the Walther PPS, handled a friend's S&W Shield, mulled the Springfield XDs, but ended up getting a SIG P938, which operates just like ol' familiar.

I don't think changing to a safety-less, striker-fired gun would get me killed, but I'd choose a DA revolver over a DA/SA auto.

gwpercle

One Gun.

Beware the man with one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

I practice often , know it intimately and can shoot it well.

stephen426

There is a lot to be said for familiarity with your carry weapon if the proverbial poop hits the fan. That is why people forget to switch off safeties or empty mags and fail to hit their target. I'd say this is much more likely if the guns are very different in terms of grip angles and safeties. For me, I prefer no active safeties. I carried a Glock 26 for a while, switched to a Kahr PM9 for size, and then to a Glock 43 for the trigger. I do practice with different guns because I enjoy shooting them, but I always try to practice more with my carry gun.