CCDW: one go to gun or multiple?

tallball

Small - P3AT
Warm weather - LCR (38 special)
Cool weather - Glock 43
Walking dog - Taurus 85 in back pocket
Cold weather - CA Bulldog in coat pocket

The Glock 43 will be replaced with my newly-acquired G26 by this coming fall.

Note that all are "aim, squeeze, bang" with no safety.

I shoot a lot of different handguns regularly. It doesn't bother me to carry or shoot a variety, especially if there's no safety involved.

Bob Wright

Ruger Blackhawk .45 for me, summer, winter, spring and fall. Rain or shine. There have been a few times I stuck a S&W Model 642 in my pocket for a quick trip outside.

Bob Wright

fastbolt

CCDW: one go to gun or multiple?

Depends on the user, the anticipated conditions and the clothing being chosen ... and the user's skillset, training and experience with even just ONE handgun.

I spent a lot of my 26 years as a LE firearms trainer burning up ammo to become/remain familiar with using a fair selection of issued and personally-owned weapons.

As an older revolver and 1911 user, and then having transitioned to Traditional Double Action (DA/SA) for duty for many years, and then finally adding various DAO-ish/striker-fired makes/models to my training (and personal safe), I tried to remain versatile and flexible in my handgun skillset.

I also tend to consider all the years I was a DA revolver shooter, combined with a 1911 aficionado, to have helped make me better able to adapt to virtually any type of pistol.

Although I took a sabbatical from serving as an instructor more than a year ago, I still made sure I took a representative sampling of different revolvers and pistols to the range, including for LEOSA qual.

Nowadays my priority is not so much on building and developing new skills, but on trying to keep the rust from dulling the skills I worked so hard to acquire during my younger years. ;)

lee n. field

Just wondering if others who CC have one firearm that is the go to no matter the clothing and master that one gun as much as possible? Or having multiple different that you might carry depending on weather and such. I exclusively carry a glock 19 no matter the situation myself, but have been toying with the idea on a Kimber micro 9 for the warmer months.

Multiple. I tend to carry a larger gun on weekend days, when I don't have to care.

kenny53

I have been carrying M&P 9 IWB. M&P 9c right front pocket, Sticky holster. Left front pocket LCP or LCR 22mag. Sometimes I carry 1911 IWB. Depends on my mood.

OhioGuy

I"ve heard strong opinions on this before. Some people rotate through an entire collection, while others consider "carry rotation" to be as good as suicide.

I train and compete with my primary gun, CZ P-07, very frequently and year-round. It's G19-sized. I've found that with the right holster (thank you JM Custom Kydex!) at the appendix position, I can conceal that sucker under surprisingly light clothing. The biggest challenge is shirts that ride up, moreso than printing. Any shirt that isn't fitted or especially thin will usually do the trick, and your "average guy" button-up checkered short sleeve shirts conceal that as well as they'd conceal a squirt gun. So that's my go-to almost always. I'm willing to dress around that rather than switch guns so I can carry under a thin T-shirt.

I also have a Walther PPS M2 that I can carry under much lighter clothing, and in a 3 Speed Holster (look them up, great products) it disappears under tucked-in dress clothing, with a spare mag! That's about the only time/reason I carry anything other than my P-07.

So my logic is: carry what you train with, and vice versa. I know people who shoot all the time with full size target pistols, and then carry snubbie revolvers that they never shoot because ammo is expensive and .357 hurts their hands.

If I'm used to shooting a Glock 19 and suddenly have to reach for a Glock 43, will I fumble it all because they're different? Maybe, probably not too bad.

If I'm used to shooting a Beretta 92 and suddenly reach for a 2" revolver? I'm guessing I'm screwed, they're nothing at all alike.

So I think having a very limited number of options to carry, and training regularly with them all, is a good compromise.

A similar manual of arms (i.e. DA/SA on both, similar sights, both semi-auto or both revolvers, etc.) would seem to help, but I'm speculating. Makes sense that if I spend 95% of my time shooting a 6 lb Glock trigger, I shouldn't be reaching for a 14 lb revolver trigger?

But "hmmmm....which gun do I feel like carrying today? My 1911 Commander or my Ruger LCP?" is probably going down the wrong path :)

Nathan

I follow the rotation concept. I like thumb safeties on all, but break my own rule with my pocket pistol.....because I reholster outside my pocket!

Pocket - Kahr CW380

Easy carry - Shield w/ safety 9mm

Max size - DW CCO 1911 45 auto

Charlie98

After doing some informal training using a few different pistols I carried as EDC, I decided the best path was to pick one system with no doo-dads and stick with it. I love the 1911, but what I found was in stress testing I was actually knocking the thumb safety off before I even had it out of the holster... which just isn't a good idea. I also had trouble making the DA/SA transition (PPK/s, any DA auto) under duress, so that was out, too. I also don't have the range availability some do... I'm lucky if I can make it to the range once a month, and, simply, you have to train with what you are carrying if you expect to perform at the Moment of Truth.

I finally wound up with a Kahr CW9... which I consider a 'gross motor skill' type of pistol... no external safety, no switches, no nothing... draw and pull the trigger. Thankfully, the Kahr grip profile is very similar to a 1911, or at least it fits my hand as well as a 1911, and the trigger, while long, is smooth and linear... so I can draw and present it well.

I carry the 7-round CW9 as my EDC, but I swap it's smaller 6-round brother, the CM9, in when I need proper concealment. They both use the same holsters and the same magazines, and shoot the same ammos to basically the same POA.

fastbolt

You know, this reminds me of the arguments often heard in some dojos back when I was a younger practitioner, just getting started.

Some guys would argue that they only needed to really master one solid, well executed technique for virtually any situation that might require them to defend themselves against an attacker. It might be a punch, or it might be a kick, depending on the practitioner. Usually it was something immediately offensive, with little thought to defensive techniques.

Other guys argued that a small selection of techniques, learned pretty well (if not all of them "mastered"), would be more practical, making for a better rounded potential defense and offense.

Yet others argued that the unpredictability of any attacker, or attackers, required learning to use all of the techniques taught within the style, both defensive and offensive. That would take much more hard work, and wouldn't necessarily allow someone the "comfort" of sticking with just one or two of their favorite techniques, or at least their most used technique.

Well, sparring ... and the occasional unexpected instance of actually needing to use their skills outside the dojo ... seemed to result in some disillusionment for some of the folks over time. Nothing ever really happens as we might expect, despite any of our preparations for it to happen that way.

Sometimes a one-trick pony can amaze ... but will being limited to that one trick always be enough, or make the pony better rounded?

Dunno. Probably depends on the pony.

As far as the arts question, though ... I eventually decided my "self defense" needs were probably better served if I expanded outside the Shotokan style I started in, and I also trained in Muay Thai (it turned out my original instructor had also been on one of the Japanese kickboxing teams at the beginning of the 70's), and then I later invested many years in some Chinese arts. I liked them all, and wanted to train hard in all of them.

That might help explain why I did the same thing with guns after I became a working cop and then a firearms trainer. Maybe.

Last edited:

Armybrat

My rotation:

Ruger LCP
Kahr CT380
Kahr CW9
Kahr CW45

All function alike with same long trigger pull and no "safeties".
All are reliable.

jrothWA

Depends what I'm carrying?

If on long trip,usually have a J-frame,on me, but might add a 4" in side pocket or fanny-pak with credit card wallet and extra loaders [speed or strips].

If just CPL'ing a semi then IWB carry or panny-pak, with two spare mags.

Had a situation, when I pulled in a MT state park for night, and sprea the sleeping bag in the back of the Caravan and fell a sleep.
4:30AM got woke up by a V-8 engine firing up, look out the back window, a black pick-upturned on its lights then 180 to leave the campground, about 30 yrds higher in the campround, then stopped nexted to my car.

Reached around the drivers' seat and turned on my parking lights [to let the driver know I was awake and preclude any accomplice from coming up behind me and give me a low-level lighted field.] and did a quick 360 sweep, from where he came from to his cab. My Ruger SS6 in the hand, and the J-frame
between my feet. Had a shotgun but still in its case, with box of buckshot.
he pick-up thought about it roared away, gave it 30 minute headstart and drove out to finish my trip. Shotgun was riding "shotgun" and fully loaded, in case the pick-up might have made an road-block to catch me, coming out.
Made it to the interstate and did stop till Bozeman where I had breakfast.

RETG

EDC is where the day is not what I'm wearing. When into town, H&K P30SK, out in the wilderness camping/hiking, PX4 .40.

kymasabe

P32 in my pocket holster every day. Except when I feel that I need a little more, then I iwb a charter arms .38.

Kirosha

Multiple. I don't rotate so much as carry depending on the situation. I sometimes want to open carry and other times I need a true pocket gun. I do mix semi autos with revolvers and mixing a safety in doesn't bother me.

CDW4ME

P32 in my pocket holster every day. Except when I feel that I need a little more, then I iwb a charter arms .38.

Missing the reasoning, unless "feels" is a reason.

Rationale: "Best I can do in work attire is pocket carry a P32, other times I carry a 38 IWB".
(When I was limited by work attire a 380 was best I could do, work is not an issue for me anymore)

As stated, can be surmised as: "Usually content to bet my life on a P32, but when the possibility of a lethal threat is anticipated, a 38 snub is preferred".
(If a threat was anticipated one would avoid the area or situation in the first place; caveat: psychos & criminals are mobile and not nocturnal)

Unless limited by work attire, seems one would strive to carry the pistol they felt most capable of quickly incapacitating a lethal threat.
(I know, my logic is invalid) ;)

Kirosha

As stated, can be surmised as: "Usually content to bet my life on a P32, but when the possibility of a lethal threat is anticipated, a 38 snub is preferred".
(If a threat was anticipated one would avoid the area or situation in the first place; caveat: psychos & criminals are mobile and not nocturnal)

I have been forced to ignore the "avoid the area" on quite a few occasions. In which case I switched from a snubby .38 to a bit more rounds despite the size increase.

raimius

Ideally, carry the gun you are most competent with. If you do have to go to an alternate, try to get it to have the same controls, point the same under stress, and have similar sights.