Carrying with an empty chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbhobby

It all comes down to training and how you carry. I personally have to draw 2 handed due to how I carry. I train several times a week on doing so. I can draw and rack action with virtually no difference in time it takes to get on target. So however you carry practice and train accordingly.
And because of how I choose to carry I am not going to win any quick draw scenarios. But I have situational awareness and try to avoid situations like that in the first place
Just my opinion and it is worth what you paid

I personally have to draw 2 handed due to how I carry. I train several times a week on doing so.
I presume that you mean "practice".

I can draw and rack action with virtually no difference in time it takes to get on target.
Think about the differences between drawing who planning to do so when signaled, and drawing for self defense in a real-life situation against a target whose position you already know.

And because of how I choose to carry I am not going to win any quick draw scenarios.
That sounds worrisome!

But I have situational awareness and try to avoid situations like that in the first place.
Good.

However, that will not have helped a bit once the situation actually unfolds.

And when it does, it will most likely happen extremely quickly.

Try some realistic FoF simulations both ways and see how well you do. If you have to, change the way you do things.

Glenn E. Meyer

Try the unchambered two handed draw when you break one arm. Been there on that and I didn't stop carrying in a manner which only takes one hand.

Or if in a fight, the fight takes out one arm. I've seen and other report lots of folks getting shot in an extremity in force on force.

Here's a fun exercise. Have your dominant hand taken out of action. You have to draw with your nondominant hand and rack the gun to get it into action. Practice that many times and you will be a firm believer in chambered carry.

Carry a 12 lb trigger weight revolver if you are scared of the 5 lb pulls and your own ability to handle such a gun.

zincwarrior

Here's a fun exercise. Have your dominant hand taken out of action. You have to draw with your nondominant hand and rack the gun to get it into action. Practice that many times and you will be a firm believer in chambered carry.

Indeed. One variant of this is, when you take your dog for a walk (if you don't have a dog I know three wiener dog rescues that will hook you up with nature's perfect predator) when you're tugging at them to come along NOW TRY TO DRAW NOW (ok don't actually draw). But you'll see the difficulty right there. Thats literally why I converted over.

PlatinumCore16

(if you don't have a dog I know three wiener dog rescues that will hook you up with nature's perfect predator)

This made my day, but I also never really thought about having to draw with the dogs, thank you for the idea. Just attempting to draw with my left hand (I'm a righty) definitely is weird, but it appears doable. Also I'm pretty sure I'll only be holding my wieners with my left hand... wiener DOGS, I meant DOGS. :D

zincwarrior

I note it because the only times I have drawn have been related to animals attacking my doggies (oh and once the couch got uppity and I had to shoot it as a warning to the other furniture).

Pro-tip if you are an animal and you attack one wiener dog out of a pack you just messed up. The other ones will be on you in seconds, usually from the side.

K_Mac

We keep coming back to some people are uncomfortable with some guns. I understand this. My concealed carry method is inside the waistband appendix carry. It is by far the best method for me, and for that reason I choose to carry a pistol that is either DA with a longer trigger pull or an external thumb safety. My point is if you're uncomfortable with carrying your gun loaded, find another gun and/or method of carry that allows you to do so.

There are many here that will tell you an external safety adds an unnecessary complication in a life or death encounter. That is another discussion. It is a far better option than carrying an unloaded weapon.

The above fails to mention that proper training and practice, along with experience are necessary for most of us to be comfortable carrying a loaded handgun. There is no substitute for that.

Danoobie

Here's a simulation you all can try.
Grandchildren reaching into your clothing and
grabbing at any and everything they can reach.

OOOOH!. Hope that's NOT a loaded glock they just
pulled the trigger on! OOPSIES!

Here's a simulation you all can try.
Grandchildren reaching into your clothing and
grabbing at any and everything they can reach.

OOOOH!. Hope that's NOT a loaded glock they just
pulled the trigger on! OOPSIES!
If that represents a realistic scenario for you, it may well be the case that you should not carry a gun.

JoeSixpack

I've Had similar scenario.

1. Don't let people grope my carry gun.
2. Every holster I own requires the guns removal to access the trigger.

Danoobie

That's proactive, Joe.

In the cases where there are young children
(a perfect example of all cases are different)
I'm a little reluctant to carry with one in the
pipe, even with redundant safeties, and a holster
which covers the trigger guard.

OldMarksman, I feel sorry for you, you haven't
experienced the joys of Grandparenthood. What
wonderful times await you.

BTW, did I piss in your cheerios, in a prior life, or
something? You're coming off as somewhat of a
post stalker, here.

Last edited:

Targa

To each their own but my advice to anyone that carry's without a round chambered is to not draw your unchambered firearm, comply with the dirtbags demands and hope that dirtbag doesnt kill you for the heck of it.

In the cases where there are young children
(a perfect example of all cases are different)
I'm a little reluctant to carry with one in the
pipe, even with redundant safeties, and a holster
which covers the trigger guard.
And I'm a whole lot more reluctant to have the gun somewhere where anyone can get to it. If I am carrying it and I am awake, no one can. It is secure.

I control it--not the holster.

Carry without "one in the pipe"? Why carry at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.