Carrying with an empty chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

45_auto

For everyone who likes to carry their semi-auto chamber empty, check out how this robber's gun jams (but no one seems to notice) as he racks it to rob a Jimmy Johns sub shop.

About 35 seconds into the video he does a poor job racking the slide (holds it back then pushes it forward instead of letting it go) and the round fails to chamber, slide is held back. He probably doesn't have any problems chambering a round when he's not under pressure.

Would have been real interesting for him if the clerk had noticed it and pulled out his own gun with a round already chambered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xdtZ-ZksDc&feature=youtu.be

JoeSixpack

That's actually kinda funny.

"Would have been real interesting for him if the clerk had noticed it and pulled out his own gun with a round already chambered!"

Hell he could have just grabbed it from him when he stuck it in his face.
Free gun! rofl

peggysue

Or you can find a 9MM Norinco M77B. Carry non in the chamber and cock it using the trigger guard on handed..like a Lignose pistol. Photos attached.

Attachments

• Norinco 2.jpg
    Norinco 2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Norinko 1.jpg
    Norinko 1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 76
The store worker is so calm, he either knew the gun was jammed or he has been through this before.
I carry for the one in a million chance I might need a gun, always have one in the chamber or a fully loaded revolver.

jdc1244

Carrying a pistol with an empty chamber is obviously an attempt to avoid a catastrophic ND, where the gunowner doesn’t trust the safety, is uncomfortable lowering the hammer on a chambered round, or otherwise has no faith in the ‘safety features’ of his striker-fired pistol.

Such concerns can easily be eliminated by carrying a hammer-fired pistol with a decocker and a round in the chamber.

random guy

Such concerns can easily be eliminated by carrying a hammer-fired pistol with a decocker and a round in the chamber.

...or by carrying a DA revolver, OR by carrying a true DAO semi-auto, the latter of which is less common than most people seem to believe. I'd bet that most current striker fired designs are in fact single action.

Personally, I'm happy to let each make his own choice and bear responsibility either way. There are handguns that I choose to carry chambered and some that I do not.

I will not sue anyone if I come to be victimized because I did not feel comfortable with a round chambered and likewise I hope no one sues when they shoot their hind end off holstering a cocked and UNlocked single action pistol. A pistol which THEY are responsible for knowing and operating safely.

joe sixgun

If you don't trust your weapon then don't carry it. A defensive arm isn't much good if it has an empty chamber. If you draw soon enough to rack the slide you have probably acted too soon to avoid trouble with your local prosecuted. JMHO

Danoobie

In any event, the chances of your needing your gun for
SD are rare. If I didn't trust a gun with the round in the
chamber, I'll admit I would rather carry without a round
in the pipe.

Yeah, the wrong caliber ammo, what you get, when you refer to
your pistol's loads as "glock bullets".

TXAZ

There's a major difference in being an idiot who knows little about guns, much less how to load them or identify and fix an FTE / FTL, and someone who also realizes that not having one in the chamber helps prevent AD's and is a surprise to someone who attempts to take the gun away and use it against you.

It's easy to come up with specific scenarios that favor one particular method but are not universal. Ultimately, everyone has to make their own decision as to what works for them.

Last edited:

ShootistPRS

There is no gun that I would want to carry for SD without a chambered round. It is too much like having all your guns in the safe and needing to protect yourself in a home invasion. Either way you are unarmed.

Danoobie

That all sounds great, until you are on the ground,
bleeding, with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. It took me
a while to trust my guns enough to carry with a round
chambered.

Danoobie

Nothing changed, physically, with the guns.

After a while, when I was sure the safeties stayed engaged,
the gun didn't fall out of the holster, the holsters were covering
the whole trigger guard, etc, I started chambering a round.

You just trusted your holster, gun, and belt, the first day you
started carrying? You had absolutely no doubt, that using all this
untested equipment wouldn't result in a ND?

Badgerstate

I certainly understand those who dont like to carry with a round in the chamber, especially if they have a striker fired gun.
Its a risk either way. Either you carry with a round in the chamber and run the risk of the gun going off accidentially or you run with the chamber empty and run the risk that maybe you wont have time to pull out your gun and chamber a round.
Personally, I prefer hammer fired guns for carry because you can run with a round in the chamber and the hammer decocked. If its a single action, double action, the first trigger pull is going to have a harder pull but at that point your adrenaline is going to be pumping, so you wont notice.
Thats one instance where a compact 1911 is nice. You can run it cocked and loaded and still trust in the fact that you have 2 safeties protecting you from an accidental discharge. In the case of the 1911, which has been carried safely for over 100 years with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked, as it was designed to be used, you really dont have much to worry about because the gun wont fire unless the safety is off, its being held in the hand and the trigger is pulled. The 1911 has its flaws but it is one of the safest handguns ever made.

JoeSixpack

After a while, when I was sure the safeties stayed engaged,
the gun didn't fall out of the holster, the holsters were covering
the whole trigger guard, etc, I started chambering a round.
And that's fine you eventually came around.
The problem is someone who's been carrying for a while and is still stuck in this mode.
Honestly my advice to anyone looking to get their license/permit (unless you live in a constitutional carry state) start carrying around the house while you wait for your approval.
I know I carried for about a month before my license finally was approved and by then carrying in public was very anti-climactic, sure the nerves was still there but not as much as you'd think.
By then hopefully anyone who is scared to carry chambered will have worked out the kinks and nerves of it.

You just trusted your holster, gun, and belt, the first day you
started carrying? You had absolutely no doubt, that using all this
untested equipment wouldn't result in a ND?
I'll be honest the first week I carried, which was at home and of diminished danger I did not.
It was not that I did not trust the gun.. actually pretty much every gun made since the 80's has at least 1 sort of drop safety.. firing pin block, sear block, etc
Even the lowly hi-point has a counter weight (HP rattle) for drops and a sear block on safe.

I once seen a test where a glock was dropped out of a plane into a farmers field, no discharge, dragged behind a truck, no discharge, tossed off a 3rd story building.. no discharge.

I do not have a glock but the story would be much the same with many handguns these days.. long guns are a different story.. but hand guns.. they're MADE to be carried, and can take a hell of a lot of punishment before they'd discharge from rough handling.

It also helps if you know the design of your gun and can see for your self how it works.. either via diagrams, online take downs, or doing it your self.
Once you see the kind of safety build into modern handguns you won't have any worries as far as the gun it self goes.

Belt.. did not worry, again I knew the gun was safe.. if it fell to the ground I was not worried.

Holster.. was never worried the gun would fall out.. I carry OSB and started with a Fobus Evo w/loops, These holsters have passive retention on the gun, it's adjustable, You stick it in the holster and shake it upside down.. you adjust tension until it no longer can fallout due to weight.

Those with open tops and no retention at all I can see the concern for it slipping out, But again, gun would not discharge.

As far as trigger guard.. now this I admit had me a little worried when I started.. the holster I had was plastic but it just barely covered the rear of the trigger guard, infact there was a small gap.

One thing you brought up is safties.. In my exp they generally can not be trusted to stay on.. OR even off.
If your gun has a safety practice your draw with it on.. even if you carry it off.. you never know when it'll get bumped on, although rarely, it's usually on -> off that's the more common.

I stared with a Taurus pt92, cocked 'n locked, I kept noticing the safety getting bumped off.. it's ambi so honestly that's the problem.. if you have a safety only on the side closest to your body it's much less of a problem.

So I stopped carrying it that way and now carry hammer down with the safety off.
Honestly the holster would probably do it's job just fine cocked w/safety off but I was not comfortable.. 92's have a long DA pull.. but the SA is quite nice and light on them, but unlike guns like the 1911.. no grip safety or secondary safety.

You'll really have to figure out how comfortable you are with your setup.
But my advice is this, There is no excuse for not carrying chambered.
If you are not confident in your belt, buy a new one.
If you are not confident in your holster, buy a new one.
If you are not confident in your gun, CARRY SOMETHING YOU ARE.

P5 Guy

I guess that my starting by carrying a revolver made for an easier transfer to carrying a fully loaded DA/SA with a decocker to a striker fired fully loaded.
Modern handguns are pretty safe and an investigation into an 'accident' usually proves that some negligence was involved in having the trigger pulled.

adamBomb

One thing that should be mentioned is that many of these guys just bought a gun off the street and don't even use the right ammo. They probably never fired the gun and barely know how to use it. At least thats what an LEO that I am friends with said. Take it for what its worth as its obviously anecdotal evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.