can't decide: glock or HK

HK or Glock

• HK USP .45

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • Glock 30

Votes: 35 28.9%

• Total voters

Arcadian62

Each time I go from 1911 to that USP I always think "Man, this is a HUGE pistol!"
huh ?

Mr. Administrator,
Are you comparing a USP45F (and not a MK23) to that (Gov't?)1911:confused:
Sure, the USP45F is a bit wider but I would not call it HUGE after shooting the 1911 by any stretch of the imagination. Now as for that trigger guard that's a different matter.:D

OF

Get the HK.

The mag release is a bit weird, but it's ambidextrous and easy to get used to. Use the middle finger of your strong hand to hit it and you don't have to change your grip in any major way.

- Gabe

FotoTomas

I go for the GLOCK. Mntneer357 had some good points and I concur. In addition the simplicity of the GLOCK appeals to me.

The added advantage of a smaller pistol that can be easily concealed is a bonus. Remember, home defense is not just a bedside pistol. If you have threats from people at work or such, having a piece you can carry about easily around the house is a bonus. Emptying the trash collecting the mail, all duties where the defensive weapon, well hidden excell.

Save the money and buy practice bullets. A better choice in my opinion.

gbelleh

I voted for the HK USP.
My USP .45 Compact is so accurate it's scary! I trust it 100% for home defense.

I would also trust a G30. Like everyone else said, you need to pick the one you shoot best. For me, that would be the USP.

HKguy9

The Glock 30 kind of appeals to me but every time I pick it up, I can't get myself to like it. I still really want one though.

farmboy

I wanted an HK, but after picking one up at a local gun show, I changed to Glock. The HK felt chunky to me. I have smaller hands, and after I stumbled onto a G23 last weekend I bought it. I guess it's just personal preference, but my feeling was that the HK is over-engineered and the Glock is just plain simple. What really tossed me over the edge is when a buddy rfeferred to Glocks as "dummy guns".

Upon my inquiry, he said that "dummy gun" meant that just about anyone under any circumstance could effectively use the weapon due to it's simplicity. I'm not sure if his intent was to insult me or not, but it got me to thinking about high stress situations, and I was truly sold.

The HK's are indeed engineering and design marvels, but I love my Glock!

SVTNate

The USP mag release is superior to the traditional mag release, because you can get to it without shifting your grip at all. Also, it's not in the way of your grip. I really love the ambi lever that HK uses.

I own a Glock 30, a USP9, and a USP45. My first gun was a Glock 21. I can tell you, in my opinion, all the ups and downs of both brands of firearms. I would say my opinion is both informed, and takes into account the pros and cons of both brands. Obviously I think highly of them, as I have spent my money on two of each.

That said...HK all the way.

Last edited:

The Jackalope

Being the owner of a Glock 21 and an USP .45, I have to say since you are making this a home defense gun, I would recommend the USP.

You can easily add a tac-light to the USP, which makes it a great night firearm. For the grip, I would add a hogue rubber sleeve to it, makes mine much nicer.

Now...PERSONALY I resonate with my Glock 21 more than my USP, and I intend to get a 30 as well. But when I am around the house, I have a Glock 22 on me. When I'm asleep, I have my Mossberg 590 next to the bed.

On the debate of the mag release, I personaly find the H&K's to be a sure way to constantly pinch the hell out of your finger.

Another thing to think about is that you can use the Glock 21 full-capacity mags in your G 30, giving it 13 + 1 cartridges.

I'm sure none of that was of any help on clearing things up. :D

Shake

Skunkabilly,

I'm with you.

I've tried and tried to like Glocks, just haven't liked one enough yet to buy it. Every time I get all worked up into a buying mood for one, I go look at them and they just don't do it for me. I can get excited when I'm not looking at them, but when I actually handle them its like taking a cold shower (maybe I need counseling?).

My main hang-up is the way they point in my hands. Every Glock I've ever picked up points high for me. If the grip angle were changed, I'd probably buy one in a heart beat.

The H&K on the other hand points better for me than any other handgun I've found yet (Kahrs, 1911s, Berettas, and CZs are all a tied for second).

One of these days I'll end up with a Glock.

Shake

HKguy9

Shake:

I've tried and tried to like Glocks, just haven't liked one enough yet to buy it. Every time I get all worked up into a buying mood for one, I go look at them and they just don't do it for me. I can get excited when I'm not looking at them, but when I actually handle them its like taking a cold shower (maybe I need counseling?).

My main hang-up is the way they point in my hands. Every Glock I've ever picked up points high for me. If the grip angle were changed, I'd probably buy one in a heart beat.

The H&K on the other hand points better for me than any other handgun I've found yet (Kahrs, 1911s, Berettas, and CZs are all a tied for second).

I am ALWAYS in the mood for a Glock .45, or even a 9mm. The idea of the 30 really appeals to me, but yeah, the ergonomics just don't do it. I decided to get over the ugliness thing by hardchroming the slide and getting new sights, but the ergonomics on the .45 just don't do it for me, even if I really want one. The 19 isn't so bad (it's blocky, but more rectangular than squarish like the 30) and it's a good size for a house gun.

I really like the simplicity of the Glock and I absolutely love the trigger reset, but I can't get over the ergonomics. Not to say that they are bad, they just don't work for me :(

The best shooter I own is a Beretta 92G Elite II. The 92FS has a crappy trigger, but the 92G is sweeeeeeeet. I sold my USP40 because of it.

harrydog

I own Glocks and USP's and I like them both. Both are pretty darn equal in terms of durability and reliability, as others have said.
The Glock is a simpler design, the HK seems like it is more expensive to manufacture and it's nicer to look at, if that matters.
Since it is not for concealed carry, I'd recommend the USP45F. It is a great gun.
And then you could send it to Teddy Jacobson, who would transform the trigger for you and make it even better.
This guys whole life for the past 30+ years has been studying and working on making improvements to trigger actions. A great number of his clients are law enforcement, because reliability is his utmost concern. The USP trigger will come back smooth, with a 9 lb. DA pull and a 4 lb. SA.

Shake

Skunkabilly,

Funny. . . I own a Beretta Elite II as well, and an H&K USP .40. Only thing is I shoot the USP much better than the Beretta (I don't think its the Beretta's fault). Love both of them.

I'll end up with a Glock some day, I'm sure. I'm just going to have to force myself to do it one of these days. . .

Shake

python1340

Beretta makes .45s?

Last I knew Beretta wasn't making .45s, so trying to compare them to a Glock 30 or HK USP 45 is moot.

Futo Inu

Ya know, that brings up the subject of: Just WHY IN THE HELL DID Gaston make his pistols point so high? Do Austrian people have wrists that angle downwards or what??? Doesn't make sense to me. He's sold a jillion of them, but he might have sold 2 jillion by now if he'd have made a 1911 type grip angle...

HKguy9

Skunkabilly,
Funny. . . I own a Beretta Elite II as well, and an H&K USP .40. Only thing is I shoot the USP much better than the Beretta (I don't think its the Beretta's fault). Love both of them.

I guess the moral of the story is what work for you ain't the same as what works for me. I shot the USP just as well, but it just took me a lot longer. My gun control ain't that good, I get a lot of muzzle rise shooting factory loads. The light gun and snappy round made for a lot of flip. The Beretta is a heavy-ass gun and a light, little round and it kept it down. I liked the trigger reset on the gun better, though. I loved the cock & lock on the USP though. It was like the speed of a 1911 with the reliability of a Beretta.

Beretta makes .45s?
Last I knew Beretta wasn't making .45s, so trying to compare them to a Glock 30 or HK USP 45 is moot.

They make one in the Cougar format, which is a squat, ugly thing with a full slide. It's functional as hell, but lacks the 92 beauty. I think Ernest Langdon may also do trigger jobs on them. I hear only good things about them, but can't get over the looks. (Yes, looks matter, it's a hobby for me, as well as a defense thing.)

p_8000cougar_L.jpg

They also make a Mini Cougar like the one above, with a smaller grip.

Ya know, that brings up the subject of: Just WHY IN THE HELL DID Gaston make his pistols point so high?

It's so amateurs who keep flinching and dropping the gun anticipating the recoil can think their shots are on target!! HAhahahaa

Shake

python1340,

Not to light a fire here, but Beretta's been making .45s for some years now. Comparing them to the Glock .45 and the H&K USP .45 is entirely reasonable for people who are familiar with Beretta's .45s.

I mentioned that the Beretta was very pointable for me, which post compared it to the H&K or the Glock?

:rolleyes:

Shake

HKguy9

Even though I am a Beretta fan, I don't like the Cougar line...it doesn't feel...Beretta to me. Then I never liked their stock HEAVY triggers or the safeties.