can't decide: glock or HK

HK or Glock

• HK USP .45

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • Glock 30

Votes: 35 28.9%

• Total voters

meat

After doing some research and shooting, I've decided on getting a .45 for home defense. I really like the HK USP .45 and the glock 30. I've shot both, like both, but can't afford both (at least not yet) ;) . I wanted to conduct an opinion poll (about which one to choose) based on the following criteria: 1) quality of constuction 2) reliability 3) service life / durability. Any owner stories would be appreciated as well.

meat

I'm sorry, it's the full size HK USP. Tried the compact, but didn't like the grip as much. Strange how the glock 30's grip was fine though huh?

i personally would not even consider the Glock and go all out for the USP. it is a magnificent weapon, the performance out of the box will blow you away. just be careful not to catch HK-itus.
good luck with your new weapon.

gryphon

It's not that the Glock is a bad weapon, I just cannot shoot them very well. I would pick the HK USP .45 over the Glock for that reason.

It does seem that you like the feel of the Glock more than the HK. Have you shot either of them yet? I'd go with the one that you shoot the best as they are both quality firearms.

Mr. James

What gryphon said... I've fired both and found the USP 45 full size a far, far superior firearm - at least, for me. Both are fine guns as far as your stated criteria are concerned, but my vote's with the HK USP.

12-34hom

H&K all the way.

See the results of your poll as of 12:30 pm central standard time.

I've owned both weapons you refer to, the H&K is a better weapon than the Glock.

12-34hom.

Shake

If it were between 9mms, I'd take oh, say about 3 more seconds to contemplate. . . then say H&K.

Since you are asking about the .45, its H&K (without hesitation).

Shake

(I do agree, however, that you should select the one you shoot the best and are the most comfortable with)

Rickmeister

Depends on what you prefer: Austrian or German. Aesthetically both suck. But nobody will ever deny either one's worth as far as reliability and service life.

That being said, go for the H&K. ;)

CastleBravo

In general, HK has more snooty cachet compared to a Glock. But the Glock 30 in particular has a real cult of extremely happy fans. Tough call in this case. I'd say that if you care about concealability, get the Glock. If it doesn't matter, get the bigger HK; full-size guns are usually more fun to shoot than little ones.

Rebel Gunman Hk

Put something in your hand that feels like a weapon. The Glock feels like a toy. I own a Hk .40 and if the .45 is anything like it, id bet my life on it any day. Hk rules!:cool: :cool:

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Another vote for the H&K USP; as it's the best of the
polymer frame pistol's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

speed

USP.......................Unless concealability is an issue.
I put my USP.45 compact on the shelf and shot others for a while ..........several months actually..............and when I took it too the range the other day it it was like I had never shot any other pistol.
Maybe it's the grip?.....I don't know exactly but it fit's my hand like a glove.
I have put many thousands of rounds through it and had failure to feed problems only once with "win clean" ammo.
I listen to the advice of the old timers and have learned that as long as we are talking about high quality handguns .....choose the one that fit's your hand the best.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
For home defense:

(ie, concealability is not an issue) then I'd say go with the full-size USP.

If we were comparing the full-size USP to the G21, I'd say "flip a coin".

Either the USP or the Glock possesses more than enough durability, reliability, quality, etcetera, to suit your needs.

(I can't see how Glock/USP partisans get all weak in the knees over one chunk of injection-molded polymer and denounce the other as junk... :confused: )

Another vote for the USP45F.

Both are excellent guns. I'd pick the one that fit me best, which in my case would be a USP45F.

My vote was based upon personal taste, and the USP just "does it" for me.

1) quality of constuction both
2) reliability both
3) service life / durability both

Jim

HKguy9

If you like cock & lock, go with the USP.

As much as I try to like the Glock 30, 21, I really can't stand the grip every time I hold it. I really want one though.

As everyone else said, if you have to conceal it, go Glock 30. I never tried concealing a USP45C though.

1goodshot

HK if you do not carry concealed otherwise the glock.Both are good guns but are to different to compare side by side.