Can we get a single action picture thread??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester_73

Where's the real single actions at?

This whole thread is Rugers and repros! Geez guys, where's the real stuff at?

Here are some more old school single actions.

In top pic, upper left is a Great Western No 3 38 rimfire, bottom left is a Colt Open Top 22 short, top right is a Premier 32 rimfire (serial #4), bottom right is a Marlin XXX Standard 32 rimfire, and center is a Merwin and Hulbert single action revolver in 38 S&W.

antiquespurs1.jpg

Below: There are 4 different ideas here on reloading. The upper 2 have a solid frames with removable cylinders and a loading slot. You would have used the cylinder pin to know the empties out. The colt had an open frame, and you would have used the cylinder pin to knock the empties out. The Marlin is a tip up, and so you would remove the barrel and use the ejector pin under the barrel to get the empties out. The Merwin was the most advanced, with the twist open method.

antiquespurs2.jpg

The Merwin and Hulbert to some of you may look like a S&W 38 SA / Baby Russian. Pictured is the Merwin and Hulbert top, S&W 1st model SA "baby Russian" and last a 38 SA 2nd model. The similiarities are all on the outside between this Merwin and the S&W SAs (aside from cal and capacity). Notice how radically different the Merwin ejected. The idea with the Merwin was if you tipped it up, and twisted it open, the shells would fall out. Merwins are neat revolvers, and I wish I had more. They were owned by the same company as Hopkins and Allen and Merwin later went out of business in 1891.

SWvsMH2.jpg

Overall I prefer the S&W system, but the Merwin is a close second.

SWvsMH1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.