Camping/sleeping while armed

As I mentioned, even with a large bear population where I live, a attack is such a small concern, if any. I believe a tree limb coming down, or a heart attack as example as bigger threats. even though I consider myself fit for my age. But some of the places I travel are quite stressful to make it through. And in most places cell phones have no service. Never thought about it much before, but perhaps a SOS GPS system might be a good investment.
Given the information of the story above, "IF" Bears were a concern for me, I would not only carry my firearm, but would carry Bear Spray.
(although I do not know much about it, never met anyone that does in my area, nor have even seen it on a shelf for sale in any LGS or Stores) Beside if I buy any spray it is Tick repellent and I buy a ton of it. Yes, TICKS are actually my biggest concern of all. That little tiny Tick is much more scary than bears for the folks where I live.

Last edited:
I would carry if legal--no exception--I grew up in the Alaskan bush,and you would be an idiot not to carry,due to bears and being in a total remote location.Now i live in Ga,and often hike/scout for hunting-i still carry.You never know what is going to happen in the wilderness--period.Be prepared.
Carrying every day is a habit for me, regardless of in the woods, or concrete Jungles. Nothing new. Violence with humans is obviously growing faster than the Bear Population. When going to the woods etc. I travel some remote roads. Usually at night. The thought of having car trouble etc. makes me feel particularly vulnerable. I think women would feel even more so. Especially certain roads that have been known for attacks over the years.

JustJake

I'm truly grateful I dismissed advice similar to yours ,relied on my own judgement and was not helpless when faced with this 6 foot 6 in nose to tail predatory old boar black bear. I had my Win 97 12 ga and my Ruger SBH.
Well, good thing you ignored the tree-huggers who say you only need a bit of bear spray. :rolleyes:

I would carry if legal--no exception--I grew up in the Alaskan bush, and you would be an idiot not to carry, due to bears and being in a total remote location. Now i live in Ga,and often hike/scout for hunting-i still carry.You never know what is going to happen in the wilderness--period. Be prepared.
Wise insight right there. Pay attention, Bucky.

corneileous

I've been hiking/camping in N. GA since the 1970's. While it is true that 2 legged predators are by far the most likely problem black bear are common in the areas where I spend most of my time.

I've also spent a fair amount of time in the Smokys and have camped all over the west including Yellowstone. Most bear don't want any trouble and while I've seen many, I've never felt threatened. But bear do attack. There have been 3 people killed and several more injured by black bear within a 2 hour drive from my house in the last dozen years.

Virtually all problem black bear are those who have been fed by other humans. It isn't uncommon for hikers to see a bear and put out food to get a better picture. Then the bear expects food from every human they see. Most aren't actually attacking you, just aggressively trying to get your pack for food. But you could still end up injured or dead.

We had a bear a few years ago that got good at sneaking up behind hikers and stealing the packs off their backs as they walked. It was eventually killed.

With that in mind I choose a gun for 2 legged predators 1st, but something big enough to work on bear in a pinch. I used to carry a 3" or 4" 357 mag revolver and that still isn't a bad option.

But anymore I prefer some sort of semi. A 9mm loaded with some of the heavier 147 gr hardcast bullets from Buffalo Bore and Double Tap work pretty well on bear if you have to use it. I think the gun you have is a sensible minimum, but if in bear country would advise looking into the better loads for it.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=155

They worked on an Alaskan Brown bear.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

But I just feel better with a 10mm or 45 loaded with similar bullets. I used a G29 in 10mm for years, but wouldn't sleep with a loaded chamber.

I thought about keeping it in a holster, but still needed 2 hands to get it out of a holster not attached to my hip. I found it just as fast and a lot easier to just leave the chamber empty. Another reason for a semi is the ability to attach a light for night time use.

My go-to camping gun more recently is a Smith M&P 45 Compact with a 1911 style safety. I can attach a light, leave the chamber loaded with the safety on and use 8 round mags loaded with 255 gr Buffalo Bore ammo when carrying. Or use the longer full size 10 round mags at night. One mag loaded with conventional HP ammo, another with bear loads.

I haven’t tent-camped in a long time and being that I live down here in hot sticky Oklahoma, I probably won’t ever will unless it’s in the winter time but if I did, my 5” Sig 10mm P220 Elite would be right beside me in it’s custom-made leather holster cocked and locked with the thumb break unsnapped with a magazine full of Underwood full-power 220 grain hard casts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zincwarrior

If I'm woken up in my sleep needing a gun I want it fully loaded and ready to go. I simply strip the holster off my belt and sleep with the holstered pistol somewhere within easy reach.

If you have a good holster it will cover the trigger and have good retention. Nothing more is needed.
I would proffer this is the best method. Have a good holster with thick leather or hard plastic, and keep it in the holster.

Last edited:

Ton

I camp and backpack often and generally sleep inside of a sleeping bag. After asking myself this question a number of times over the years, I've settled with sleeping with my pants on with my P365 in a pocket holster in my pocket, chamber empty. I toss and turn alot in my sleep and often wake up a little bit disoriented, especially when sleeping somewhere unfamiliar or after a hard day of hiking. I assume that if I was attacked in my sleep by the time I became aware of what was happening I would have little to no time to respond. The last thing I want to be doing is pawing around on the ground trying to find my pistol, especially if I was actively fighting something. Keeping the chamber empty is a hard choice, however as I mentioned before I move alot and it seems to be the best compromise I can think of between safety and accessibility.

armoredman

Last time I went tent camping was a LONG time ago in Southern Arizona, and IIRC I had an EAA Witness full size in 40SW. Nothing happened. If I was to go camping NOW, being that I am a wee bit too old and fat to hike real far, I'd probably have my normal sidearm, CZ P-10C in 9mm with standard JHP ammo, and the BREN 2 MS pistol in 5.56mm. Compact and light, and, when you're not REALLY going to be walking far, won't weight me down for long. Those would both be inside the tent. However, in reality, the next time you see me in a "campground" or such I'll probably be in an RV. :)

peacefulgary

When I go camping, when sleeping in a tent or out under the stars, I wear shorts and have my Ruger LCP in a pocket holster in my front right pocket...which is how I carry it when I'm awake.

JustJake

* * * but if I did, my 5” Sig 10mm P220 Elite would be right beside me in it’s custom-made leather holster cocked and locked with the thumb break unsnapped with a magazine full of Underwood full-power 220 grain hard casts.
Well, somebody gets it. Perfect gun, prefect choice of ammo for bad-bear country. :cool:

corneileous

Well, somebody gets it. Perfect gun, prefect choice of ammo for bad-bear country. :cool:

Thank you! Those hard casts might be a bit much if it was a two-legged predator but if I’m out in the woods, I loaded for four-legged ones which is why I specifically bought that handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChasHam

Many years ago when I was single, I had somehow convinced a brunette stunner way above my pay grade to take a day trip on my big motorcycle to a mountain wilderness area an hour and a half north of the city.

While sitting on a blanket in a scenic meadow having lunch, a ratty pickup with three nasty looking dudes pulled in. The driver started circling us-- his buds gawking and commenting on the young lady's appearance with a few comments about "get some."

I reached under a folded towel and extracted a 1911 Government Model which I slowly stuck in my belt-- and a spare magazine for my pocket. They beat feet in a hurry.

We "broke camp," repacked the bike saddlebags and left. End of story.

HiBC

Daughter approached me once. Her fiance mentioned he wished he had a sidearm for when they were off in the woods,etc.
His birthday was coming and she wanted to find something. Of course,her budget was limited.
I had a Uberti 45 Colt Sheriff's model I was not using much.The gun,a holster,dies,brass,powder and 500 cast bullets....$100. Deal.

They got married. Rented van,honeymooning /camping Pacific Northwest /Cascades.

Wee hours of morning,someone pulls the side door of the van open.

Son in law came up with the 45.

Intruder skedaddled.

Who knows what the story may have been .

He's a darn fine son in law,husband,and Father. I built him an AR SDMR replica ,a 1911....started him off with a Rem 513 S 22 rifle on condition he'd buy a gun safe/security locker... I gave my daughter an M-1 carbine. Each grandkid a bolt single shot 22. He bought his own 30-06.

Even gave toddler Grandson a Ithaca Flues 12 ga SXS just so some day he'd know and carry an old side by side.

I'm grateful I can pass the tradition on.

Brit

The only places I venture into nowadays are at aged 85! Supermarkets, resteraunts. Had a few wee adventures there. Always carry! Glock 19 4th gen, 15 plus one in the pipe. 147g federal hollow points.
Parking lots, reverse in, always walk my wife of 48 years to her door, make sure she enters the Jeep safely, lock her door, enter my door, lock and leave. Surefire flashlight, extremely bright light! On the belt, next to my spare 17 round mag.
Had a couple of incidents over the years, no fisticuffs here in Florida, in England, Australia, yes a few! Living outside the City, all quite really, still watchout though.

HiBC

Apparently the bears in Canada are grumpy. Third fatal bear attack in three months. Black Bear. 26 year old Woman. She was working for a Helicopter Company in Alberta transporting tree planting crew.
Article seemed to spin the reason for it off on COVID. Folks getting out more.

I suppose just about everything can be blamed on Covid , Trump , Climate Change or guns.

I don't see the connection between folks getting out in the woods for COVID R+R and a bear hitting an Airmobile tree planting crew.

But what do I know?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/othe...s-third-fatal-attack/ar-AAN46sn?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited:

bamaranger

Cooper

Jeff Cooper made comments about having a lanyard on a J-frame or Det Special, and I recall seeing pics of same, which was " handy while sleeping" or words to that effect. The lanyard loop was a sling swivel stud set into the bottom of the grip/frame. I don't recall reading further elaboration.

Mulebuk Mojo

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on methods for sleeping while armed?

Thanks,
- Sriracha

See post 76 about lanyards. Very valid, most in a camping scenario will actually have the gun under pillow or blanket for when nosy bear comes calling, you of course get startled jump out and you can't find gun.

The other real threat are all the ex-cons on the prowl, they'll even be more clever than a nosy bear.

Mannlicher

I keep a custom 1911 beside the cot or air mattress. Triijicon night sights, a Surefire light, and 8 JHP. OR, a Glock 40 10MM set up the same way, but with a Trijicon RMS dot sight. I sleep light when afield.

BornFighting88

Whenever I am traveling, and the state I am in/going to is freedom-friendly, you bet your bottom dollar my trusty officer’s ACP is either on my side or within arms reach. I make a twice a year trip from the Lehigh Valley to Erie, and my pistol is holstered while in car and out and about, and in hotel room en route, or at the lodge in Erie, either in eyesight/arms reach, or holstered.

I can count on one hand how many times I’ve gone camping or slept in the wild. Once was in late season flintlock, and we camped out at a cabin and had rifles primed and loaded stacked along the wall and pistols primed and loaded near our cots.

Even though we were after deer, there are black bears, mountain lions, and New Jersian “hunters”. (Seriously Jersey!!! You can just get on the parkway and waffle one in your daily commute…. Leave Pennsy deer to Pennsylvanian freemen and devote your time to ousting Murphy….) roaming my sacred Pennsyl-tucky timbers. Gotta stay safe out there.