Camping/sleeping while armed

Moonglum

Maybe I was in the Army too long but I don't camp alone and not every one is ever asleep at the same time.

My handgun or rifle (as the case may be) is next to my bag.

jrsgunbooks

I camp with a fully loaded pistol, safety on usually a double stack 9mm or a 1911 in a fully enclosed snap holster inside my sleeping bag.
This protects the gun and me from fumbling round looking for it in a tent.

I've only pulled it out one time. I was camping in the mountains of New Mexico in a remote area off of a dirt road. About 2:30am I was awakened by an approaching vehicle. It sounded like a truck, I grabbed and un-holstered my pistol and held it at the ready.

The bright lights of the truck illuminated the inside of my closed tent and I'm sure they saw my outline and the Beretta 92 through the thin fabric.

I was getting ready for whatever was going to happen but it seems the occupants of the truck decided to move along down the road.

TailGator

A holster solves most such problems. I can't remember ever waking to find my handgun out of its holster while camping. At different times it has been revolvers and pistols, but a well-fitted holster is a pretty reliable safety device.

44 AMP

Staff
The "pillow sword" is an ancient practice, but there's always a trade off between instant operability and safety. The unsheathed small sword under your pillow is instantly ready when you grab it. BUT, that also means there's a foot or so of sharpened blade within inches of your throat while you sleep.....

The way I've always looked at it is that any of the common reasonable practices will do fine. Including empty chamber, or in a holster etc. Simply put, you need to be awake enough to know what you need to shoot at, (if you do need to shoot) and that should also mean you're past the point of groggy blind reaction.

If you're the kind of person who actually might grab a gun and pull the trigger before you know what you're doing, then I think the answer is not a holster or an empty chamber or a safety in the "on" position, I think the proper thing is for you to let someone else take care of gun handling and defense.

But that's just my opintion, and worth what you paid for it. IF you don't have that option, then you might consider a DA revolver and leave the cylinder open, or an SA with the loading gate open. In both cases, it can be shut as you pick up the gun, and open, prevents the gun from firing. For Semiauto, mag loaded chamber empty. If you're awake and alert the gun can be ready in an instant and if you're not awake and alert you aren't going to accidently shoot anyone...

Do what you think is right and the best for you. I'll pitch my tent on the other side of the hill from yours, (just in case) thank you! :rolleyes: :D

Drm50

Either cocked and locked on my person if I think there is a credible threat or it’s not a big consideration. I don’t spend a lot of time obsessing over that type stuff. I’ve been where you had to carry a gun in your sleep.

7.62 man

and 2-legged a@@hats.

Funny you should mention them, I was tent camping on a local beach with some boaters. There was a loud party going on, on the far end of the beach & I sacked out about 10:30 that night. The party was loud & I couldn't sleep, about 11:30 I could see a shadow approaching the tent from the light of the bonfire. I grabbed my gun that I keep in a pocket holster next to an bright LED flashlight, against my side so I can feel where it is.
This a@@hat decided he wanted to try to sleep on top my tent with a running belly flop on top of it.
As he hit the tent I blocked him & slammed the top of the gun in his side about three times, then pushed him off me & the tent from the inside. By the time he stopped moaning & crying about his ribs hurting, I was out of the tent with the flashlight on & the gun pointed at him.
He saw the gun, jumped up & run to the other end of the beach screaming "Don't shoot me"
We didn't have any more problem the rest of the night. LOL

Cosmodragoon

The empty-chamber and empty-cylinder methods present drawbacks. Luckily, a much better solution already exists. Get a holster with a snap closure. A thumb break can be fast and natural to release while providing a welcome layer of safety. (As always, you want a holster that completely protects the trigger guard.)

A revolver or DA/SA semi can offer additional safety in being at rest with a double action trigger. This dovetails nicely with the retention of a snap closure that covers the hammer. I also like having hammer feedback upon holstering.

shurshot

"As he hit the tent I blocked him & slammed the top of the gun in his side about three times, then pushed him off me & the tent from the inside. By the time he stopped moaning & crying about his ribs hurting, I was out of the tent with the flashlight on & the gun pointed at him." (7.62 Man)

??? So an intoxicated man who jumped on your tent constituted a threat level that justified pointing a loaded gun at him AFTER you had already pistol whipped and injured him? Did he have a weapon? Was your life in danger?:confused:

Or was he just some drunk kid who made a dumb mistake and needs a 12 step meeting? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pistoler0

The empty-chamber and empty-cylinder methods present drawbacks. Luckily, a much better solution already exists. Get a holster with a snap closure. A thumb break can be fast and natural to release while providing a welcome layer of safety. (As always, you want a holster that completely protects the trigger guard.)

A revolver or DA/SA semi can offer additional safety in being at rest with a double action trigger. This dovetails nicely with the retention of a snap closure that covers the hammer. I also like having hammer feedback upon holstering.
Also a DA/SA semi auto pistol with a safety that can be engaged when the pistol is decocked might be excellent for this purpose too, H&K SP30SK for instance.

JustJake

Also a DA/SA semi auto pistol with a safety that can be engaged when the pistol is decocked might be excellent for this purpose too, H&K SP30SK for instance.
Or maybe 3rd Gen S&Ws ... the DA/SA pistols with the slide-mounted decock/safety lever in the old 45XX- and 10XX-series?

dgludwig

"As he hit the tent I blocked him & slammed the top of the gun in his side about three times, then pushed him off me & the tent from the inside. By the time he stopped moaning & crying about his ribs hurting, I was out of the tent with the flashlight on & the gun pointed at him." (7.62 Man)

??? So an intoxicated man who jumped on your tent constituted a threat level that justified pointing a loaded gun at him AFTER you had already pistol whipped and injured him? Did he have a weapon? Was your life in danger?

Or was he just some drunk kid who made a dumb mistake and needs a 12 step meeting?

Thinking the exact same thing, shurshot. Guns should only be pointed at real threats. I can't think of a scenario where a person who desires to hurt or kill you "belly flops" on top of your tent. Though, film footage of the incident might have made for a winning candidate in AFV's contest for the most funny video. :)

Kreyzhorse

Gun in holster, holster close by along with a flashlight. Usually cover both with a shirt or something. Gun is loaded with a round chambered.

I figure if I need the gun at night, I need it right then, readily accessible and ready to use.

Crankylove

Quote:

??? So an intoxicated man who jumped on your tent constituted a threat level that justified pointing a loaded gun at him AFTER you had already pistol whipped and injured him? Did he have a weapon? Was your life in danger?

Or was he just some drunk kid who made a dumb mistake and needs a 12 step meeting?
Thinking the exact same thing, shurshot. Guns should only be pointed at real threats. I can't think of a scenario where a person who desires to hurt or kill you "belly flops" on top of your tent. Though, film footage of the incident might have made for a winning candidate in AFV's contest for the most funny video.

Being dark, and not knowing exactly what drunk guys intentions are, my gun would have been out as well. May not be pointed at him, but would be ready for use.

My tent /trailer is my home, away from home. It’s no different than checking the door gun in hand when some idiot comes beating the crap out of it at 2am, yelling incoherently, thinking it’s his buddies house, that lives on the next street over.

shurshot

"It’s no different than checking the door gun in hand when some idiot comes beating the crap out of it at 2am, yelling incoherently, thinking it’s his buddies house, that lives on the next street over."(Crankylove).

Huge difference between an intoxicated individual acting foolishly and an actual legitimate deadly threat that justifies the use of a gun. I agree 100%.

If the drunk in question happens to be a son, nephew or grandson, wouldn't one want an armed tent dweller (or home owner), to utilize some restraint and NOT point a loaded gun (finger on trigger, heart pounding, obviously scared), in your loved ones direction unless they absolutely have NO other choice?

Too easy to pull the trigger in a tense situation on someone who isn't an actual threat. Once that bullet leaves the muzzle, there is no stopping it, no reset button like on a video game.

Last edited:

JustJake

Here's what ya do with out-of-control idjits, whether it's your tent opening or your front door at 2 a.m.:

Throw a cup of boiling hot coffee in his face, and then when he's screamin' like a beeatch 'cause his eyeballs are melting :eek: ... you junk-punch has ass into next week.

Problem solved. No need for gunfire. Waste of ammo avoided. :cool:

I have spent many nights in the swamps and woods I hike/Scout/hunt in for years. Some times just too far in to make it back and would just use a poncho to sleep over night until sun up. And the area has plenty of bears. But I have no problem sleeping at all. In fact very peaceful. Occasionally a bear has poked around and they are like raccoons. Just a nuisance and will scatter easily. And I carry a small revolver and keep it next to me.
I do not camp in Public areas. That does give me huge concern. People scare me. At night you have no idea what they are capable of. And I WOULD NEVER let Children sleep alone under any conditions if I was with a family. I know of people that give their kids their own tent and they have theirs. The idea of waking up the next morning and your kids gone is right out of horror books. Look at the murders along the Appalachian Trail.
A prime trail just waiting for predators and I do not mean like a Bear.

Last edited:

JustJake

Bears are predators ...

He who would be The Wise Woodsman is prepared for all predators, whether they ambulate on 4-legs or 2. ;)

Bears are predators ...

He who would be The Wise Woodsman is prepared for all predators, whether they ambulate on 4-legs or 2. ;)

Lol, sorry, Black Bears are NOT human predators. At least not in my state. Maybe in a Stephen King book, but not in the woods and swamps. And as far as being prepared, worry about yourself. As I mentioned, I carry a revolver. (For any Human predator which is another Human) And rare to come across one back there.