Calling Upon LR shooters, Bart B KraigWY ect.

4runnerman

Jimro-you may be correct, I can only comment on what I see and hear. As I stated , I shot FTR for only one year. 223's were there, but few and far in between. I live in ND. Wind is here5 days a week. The 223 was just not cutting it. I also went to the Grand Masters Comp in Montana last year, again 223's there but far and few. A custom 308 took first place. I do not know how far down the list is was before the first 223 was mentioned.

Jimro

4runnerman,

Head to a 200, 300, 600 High Power match sometime. You'll see a lot more 223s than 308s on the line in that sport, even now that AR-10s are considered a legal service rifle people just haven't gone back to the 308 since fast twist barrels were paired with heavy for caliber match bullets.

For Long Range High Power (1000 yards) that is where you see the 308s in M1A and AR-10 flavors dominate the service rifle class.

Now people have argued for years about whether that is proof the 223 is more "inherently accurate" or whether the AR is just easier to shoot for 88 shots, but either way the scores have gone up for the 223, breaking 308 records the same way the 308 broke the 30-06 records.

Jimro

Bart B.

Accuracy difference across all NRA and CMP service semiauto rifles through 600 yards is equal when properly tested. But the milder recoil of the 22 caliber ones means their muzzle axis angle moves less during barrel time and that time is shorter than that of the 30 caliber ones. Their cone of fire has a smaller angle which produces better scores on bullseye targets.

Same reason why the smaller 26 caliber rounds replaced the big 30 caliber ones to win NRA 'any rifle' matches in spite of having the same inheirant accuracy of the 30 caliber magnums with equal wind bucking bullets. Long and heavy 22 caliber bullet BC's drop fast after 600 yards. Which is why long and heavy 30 caliber ones are favored for long range service rifle matches; their BC's drop very little past 600 yards.

Even 22 rimfire bullets at 100 yards have the same wind drift but less accuracy in MOA as .308 Win ones at 800 yards and over twice the barrel time. But their cone of fire is smaller in angle due to much less recoil so their groups on targer are smaller MOA wise. The X ring at 800 is 1.25 MOA and 1.00 MOA at 100. X count in smallbore is higher than high power in prone matches.

Prior to the mid 1980's when smallbore ammo was equally accurate (1/2 MOA or better) their high X-count 100 yard prone records still stand, they're much higher than all the high power long range prone ones. Three cheers for mild and minimum recoil.

Last edited:

Emory Bored

This discussion is pretty much all greek to me. How does one go about finding one of these rifle matches. Lord knows one doesn't need another hobby but never the less etc.

Bart B.

Google "nra competitions" where several links get you to good information to learn about it.

Then download:

http://www.nrapublications.org/wp-content/ComingEvents/CE_Download.pdf

as it lists matches around the USA for different types of competitions. Find one near you then bring a pair of binoculars to it to watch what happens. Ask questions about it to competitors; they'll take you under their wing and maybe make a national champion out of you.

Last edited: