Budget of $250

Buckeye!

When looking for a budget smaller high cap 9mm , I went with a proven design , Keltec P11
12+1 with a flush mag.. True DAO .. heavy trigger , which is more like a nice DA in a revolver ... I carry HST 124gr standard pressure ammo ..Installed a belt clip , pistol can now be carried AIWB with no holster ...

jmstr

In 380, I have been pleased with the Bersa Thunder/Firestorm .380.

Reliable, and the trigger pull is not horrendously heavy in either DA or SA mode.

Others have made good suggestions there also.

If this is home defense, does she want a weapon light? or will she train to use a flashlight?

I would figure that out, and then decide if it HAS to be new, or if a good condition used one will be acceptable.

With those two pieces of information, you can really start to narrow down the suggestions.

Lastly, how familiar with handguns is she?

If it were my daughter or son, neither of whom would hit the range more than 2 times a year if I forced the issue, I'd probably guide them toward a reliable revolver. That way no worries about training for clearance drills.

For inside the house, I would use .38Sp+P rounds, as .357 would be more likely to go through the apartment wall and the sonic crack is more damaging to ears at 3 am when someone breaks in.

$250 is a real difficult price point for fans to recommend.

You are asking for it all- quality, at rock bottom price.

I am going to throw a curve at you: See if you can check out the FMK 9C1 G2 pistol.

I am in California. I have more handguns than I need, but not as many as I want.

If I lived out of california, i'd be REALLY tempted to get their single action pistol.

I have dry-fired the DAO pistol [CA Approved], and found the trigger reset longer than I liked [more like DAO revolver- by design].

I was impressed with the way it pointed and fit my hand. Never shot one.

I seem to recall seeing them for low $300s, and they have 10-14 round magazines, with a picatinny light rail. [and come in colors! ].

Just a thought.

It isn't a Glock, or M&P, or Xd, and it is cheaper than any of them new.

USNRet93

PLUS unless the gun is teeny and light, a better 'shooter' for her.
I use this in both .380s..Xtreme defender..designed by Lehigh, licensed to Underwood and BlackHills..

Attachments

• DSF5288-Edit.jpg
    DSF5288-Edit.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 7

10-96

USNRET, I don't know about those Underwood rounds you recommended. The OP said he was wary of over-penetration of the walls. Those Philips-head bullets penetrate stuff in spades. Just this evening I watched a video of a guy named .22Plinkerator (or close to it) shoot a 10mm Underwood through 1 1/2" bullet resistant glass. Granted, a 10mm is has way more juice than a .380- but still, that's a lot of mojo for sheetrock. On another video, he shows where he shoots a .22lr through like 8 or 9 pieces of 1/2" sheetrock.

USNRet93

Also these that 'marketing' says are great for 'soft stuff' but break up on 'harder stuff'..
Cheaper too. I also worry about hitting my neighbor, why my shotgun with birdshot is preferable but less accessible. BUT back to the original premise
My sister recently bought a Shield EZ, she seems to really like it. I'm just concerned 380 isn't enough for someone breaking into her house, hopped up on drugs.
...380 'effectiveness', yup, very effective.

Attachments

• 663561_ts.jpg
    663561_ts.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 7

fisherman

Chris in Virginia, Can you tell me about these failures you witnessed please? I am always interested in the cause in particular. I have seen only one failure in a pistol and that was a bulged cylinder on a Smith and Wesson revolver. The guy was reloading to a grain over max recommended and double charged a load some how with a progressive speed loader. Most dramatic or "exciting" and dangerous hand gun failures happen with reloads. People make mistakes reloading. I have myself. Fortunately they caused no gun damage. Missed a powder charge on a hunting bullet and the primer went snap and a 6 point just looked at me. I actually saw the bullet flip out into the snow!! Let me know if you know the causes of those failures on Taurus since I shoot them often. I am most interested.

tallball

If she can handle a 40 caliber, AIM surplus has police turn-in Glock 22's for $279 this weekend. That's $29 over budget, but they are also offering free shipping.

I like my surplus G22 very much and it is hardly worn at all. That is a very good price for a fine firearm.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Earlier in this thread I mentioned CDNN.

Here's the list of guns I was talking about:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html#sort=salepriceasc&category_2=FIREARMS/HANDGUNS&caliber=9MM

As of right now, there are half a dozen 9mm pistols at CDNN that can be purchased new for $250 or less. The Walther Creed is on that list--I have no experience with it, but it seems to work well based on the reviews I've seen. Also, the previously mentioned Ruger EC9S is only $200.

If you want to include .380 caliber pistols, then here's the list for those, sorted, ascending by price. 7 make that list.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms...&category_2=FIREARMS/HANDGUNS&caliber=380 ACP

jmjgunner

Hello, there are a lot of good options in this post.
I personally own a sccy cpx2 9mm and an eaa sar b6p 9mm(both are listed in this thread),
and can personally recommend them, they are 100% reliable, and either can be bought brand new in your price range.
The sccy is more compact, the cpx1 model has a safety and the cpx2 does not.
It comes with 2 - 10 round mags.
the sar is a full size gun(much larger than the sccy) and comes with one 17 round mag.
BTW: https://gun.deals is a great site. I found my sar there, just before Christmas for
$219. It was only at that price for a day or so then it went back up. I think they are $239 now at
CDNN. that is where I got mine.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the eaa sar b6p 9mm also comes in a smaller size, with a 3.8 inch barrel and a 13 round mag.

Last edited:

davidsog

She really likes the p365

Save your money and get the 365. Totally worth it.

Don’t skimp on things your life depends on.

Quality watch, quality boots, and a quality gun are essentials, lol.

Mackie244Bud

I get your Budget needs (Wife 3 Kids etc..etc...Life is not cheap) and while your trying to be nice and help with a gun that will likely as you say...sit on a table.

You do not have to buy new..there are many quality used guns that people want to sell because they either want a different gun or a more exotic gun.
I have a Shield that I am thinking of selling because it just sits and is not getting used at all since I got my P365.
Yet a Shield is what friends of mine carry still today.
Maybe you can get a better gun used in your budget than a inexpensive gun new.

I also know people throw around a P365 but at $500.00 that's twice your budget Ouch!
I do love my P365 but it is NOT a Budget gun!
If she loves the P365 maybe she can help with the purchase
It's not or should not be embarrassing to say that this as much as I can help with a purchase ...or someone else can go in on it with you.

As my Dad would say..."There is more than one way to Skin a Cat"
I think that if you take your time and look around you will find the right gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdks5k-MNU

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Quality+Budget+Handguns

Last edited:

lonniemike

I got love for the Lehigh Extreme Defense in 380. Plenty confuse it with the Lehigh Extreme Penetrator. Find a couple of videos to watch the differences between then. I got love for my relatively new p365. I also got plenty of love for my relatively new G2c. Both have a few hundred rounds through them, both with no hiccups. A small light 380 is very pocketable/concealable. The G2c pretty smallish but just a little bigger than the 365. The 365 is about the size of a FP9. Rent a G2c it will be a good move. Find it for under $200 new. BestoLuck

chris in va

She may have to help out with the costs, right now neither of us are in a position to purchase a $550 (with tax) firearm. Once the house sale goes through I may have a better chance.