Budget of $250

TBM900

Scrimp and save your pennies.....

$294

380-Shield-EZ-001-600x338.jpg

epl1007

Do yourself a favor and save up an extra 200 dollars and get a Glock 43 or a shield. If that’s not possible ruger LC9s

ms6852

If your life is worth $250 than buy whatever is available, if it is worth more than scrimp and save more as has been suggested. Better yet take a self defense class because if this is all you can afford than you will not be able to afford shooting to become proficient. You owe it to yourself to be good with or without a gun.

BigMikey76

I take a look at https://gun.deals a couple times a week. That's how I found my Kahr CT380 ($196 NIB), my S&W SD9 ($259 NIB), my PSA AR-15 ($339 NIB), and my Taurus G2C ($189 NIB).

The used counter at your local range or gun shop can also provide some assistance. I just picked up a used Bersa Thunder CC for $150 at my local range.

If you have the time to delay your purchase in pursuit of a good deal, patience and persistence can pay great dividends.

GarandTd

Saving up a couple hundred dollars over your original budget will get you a more expensive gun. It may or may not be "decent" or "better". I don't think those suggestions are very helpful. There have been quite a few good suggestions at or near your price range. You need to decide what exactly you want within your budget and what purpose it is going to serve. There are decent options within your budget. When the budget is tight you have to shop around for the best deals. It takes a little more work, but it's doable and worth it. I have purchased 4 handguns in the last 2 years. All have been "decent" and under $300. All purchased brand new.

chris in va

Let me clarify...

I'm no stranger to firearms, note the post count. I already have my own guns covered.

However it's been a few years since I purchased anything (save for my P365) so I'm just wondering what the current crop of budget guns is decent these days. My stepdaughter is looking to get a smallish HD 9mm, she's just strapped for excess funds right now...but needs something.

She really likes the p365 and the 938, but $500+ is out of the question.

raimius

For a small carry gun, I'd probably look around for a good deal on a Shield.
LCPs can be had for sub $200, if you are OK with .380.

tallball

As others have said, the Star BM is a nice pistol. I like mine a lot. I would have no problem with using it as a HD pistol. Since it is a steel 9mm, the recoil is squat. Mine is nicely made and finished.

USNRet93

Aside from a Ruger LC9s, are there other decent handguns in the $250 range? I'm not sold on Taurus just yet.
Hmm, you have over 13,000 posts here..something we aren't getting here?

Ahh, see the 'clarification'..BUT have her shoot some of these. A lot of smallish 9mm are NO FUN to shoot. I'd also not limit this to 9mm..a LOT of really nice .380s do the job, are smaller and are much more FunToShoot. Modern .380 ammo isn't the stuff John Browning invented over 100 years ago.

Used Glock 42..easy to conceal, great shooter..'might be a wee bit over $250 but finding a used one for right around $300 pretty easy.

Last edited:

USNRet93

If your life is worth $250 than buy whatever is available, if it is worth more than scrimp and save more as has been suggested. Better yet take a self defense class because if this is all you can afford than you will not be able to afford shooting to become proficient. You owe it to yourself to be good with or without a gun.
C'mon..there are a LOT of $250 handguns that are reliable, accurate, do their job well..A $500 handgun isn't automatically 'twice' as good doing the same thing. Often a 'more expensive' gun is only 'more expensive'...

Spats McGee

Administrator
Sometimes, the "scrimp and save" plan to get a pistol that costs more just isn't in the cards, or may take more time than is feasible. Some folks like to phrase it as "What is your life worth?," when a better question might be "Is your life worth defending today, or do you want to wait a year?" (Wanna guess how I know?)

There are lots of options available in that price range, particularly if you can help her search for a used pistol. Personally, I don't mind buying used, if it's a pistol that I know enough about that I can (with some degree of certainty) assess it's condition.