Budget of $250

Cheapshooter

"Decent" for what?
Then there's what you mean by "decent".
If you have been intimidated by internet hatred for Taurus there is Bersa, and SCCY.
Even the often maligned Hi-Point is quite decent when it comes to reliability, and much more than decent with accuracy.

Doyle

If you don't mind the weight of a steel frame, you can pick up a Makarov in that price range. Lots of fun to play with.

TruthTellers

Ruger 9E. Not made anymore, but can be found used for under 250.

SD9VE. Again, used.

SCCY if you don't mind a long and terrible trigger.

Kel-Tec PF9 and P11.

Skans

Aside from a Ruger LC9s, are there other decent handguns in the $250 range? I'm not sold on Taurus just yet.

I basically swapped my LC9 out for a Diamondback DB9 for ease of carry. I however, will not recommend a DB9 to most people because they can be finicky, especially with hollow points. To get around this, I carry a hollow point in the chamber, first round out of the magazine is rounded ball ammo and the rest hollow points. This way the entire magazines feeds reliably and consistently. I've also polished the feed ramp (really doesn't need much) and some parts of the magazine; and I had to go through several magazines before I found one that I really liked. Most people would find this "unacceptable". But, it works for me.

T. O'Heir

A great deal will depend on what's available in Louisville. I suspect shipping, FFL fees, etc. would be prohibitively expensive.
Rummage around on the assorted auction sites.

TBM900

You’ll really have to scrounge and it will likely take time, but occasionally sub $300 Makarovs can be found. Of which I would take any day over ANY of the brand new offerings at that price point. Local private sale will eliminate cost for shipping, transfer, tax.

If you crap out finding one, next bet is a surplus P83 or even P64. Not as shootable as a Makarov but still solid (built like a tank) proven defensive firearms. Easily found in your budget, and again I would take either any day over similarly priced more modern pistols.

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

The original mini 9mm- the Keltec P11 is available.
And the even thinner Keltec PF9 is there, too.
Both are budget guns that work very well.
Both also require practice to use effectively.

GarandTd

Remington rm380. Reliable, accurate for it's size, all metal, includes 2 mags. Often available for just over $200.

KyJim

Besides used guns and those already mentioned:

(1) the M&P Shield for $271 after rebate;

(2) Kahr CW 4043 (.40 SW) for $247.

Both at Bud's.

Fishbed77

Not sure what the OP's intended role is, bu I'll toss out a few more suggestions:

Not my cup of tea, but Classic has police trade-in .40SW Beretta PX4s for $230. All kinds of deals can be found on .40SW pistols as departments dump them for 9x19mm.

Quite a few pistols chambered in 9x18mm Makarov can be found for under $300. In the past year, I've picked up a Bulgarian PM for $275, a CZ-82 for $299, and a P-64 for $190. All are very high-quality pistols and in practically un-issued condition.