Bolt action hand guns. WHY?

44 AMP

Staff
Accuracy is where the bolt action pistol, or even the Contender really shines.

The other area it shines in is being able to shoot cartridges that revolvers and service class semi autos cannot.

bottle necked cases are no big deal in the single shot, but those with sharp shoulders rarely work well in revolvers and service class semi autos are severely limited in the size of the rounds then can use.

There are even single shot pistols that can handle the big belted magnum rifle rounds, and while there is a measurable performance increase, I consider the waste of powder and power to offset the gain. And, that's not even considering the increased recoil. :eek:

Single shot pistols have a place, they are a specialty tool, very good at what they do, and I find them to be a lot of fun, as well. They aren't made to do everything, they're made to do one thing, REALLY well.

The ones I have, do.

HiBC

I believe it was Townsend Whelen who said "Only accurate rifles are interesting"

I have very little interest in truly inaccurate firearms.

But between the competitive benchrest rifles and Brown Bess Muskets are a lot of interesting firearms that are perfectly adequate at doing their job.

Unless their job is winning bench rest competitions.

While its always risky to draw a subjective line in the sand,John Plaster suggested (in his book "The Ultimate Sniper") That a rifle that delivers a consistent 3/4 MOA performance or better is adequate for a serious sniper rifle.

He then goes on to explain very few shooters are capable of matching their rifles for performance in the field.

Accuracy is an admirable pursuit, but a pre-ar Win M-70 30-06 that shoots 2.5 MOA is still a thing of wonder and beauty.

The 250 yd clean kill is no less interesting when enjoying seared backstraps on the plate.

There comes a point where "More accurate" is satisfying on its own, but as a practical matter, is largely ego.

Yes,its cool to have a rifle that usually delivers 0.4 MOA at 100 yds! Wonderful!

But a 2 MOA at 100 yd rifle misses the point of aim by a maximum of 1 inch,and its usually closer.

How many of us can hold better than that without a bench?

If I am a 3 MOA shooter, it doesn't matter much whether I have a 0.5 MOA gun or a 1 MOA gun.( The difference is 1/4 in at 100 yds)

That might matter at a benchrest match or a general bragging session (among fishermen) but many a family has been fed by a person with an heirloom Win 94 or a Bubba Custom SMLE that nobody wasted the ammo to figure out what it would group.

Last edited:

FITASC

Which was an XP-100 in original stock factory trim. turns out they weren't very common, as, thanks to the popularity of shooting steel with them lead to most of the ones I ran across, both at the shows and in the shops were customized guns. Different stocks, rebarreled for a variety of calibers.
Didn't want one of those...finally got one fully stock, the Rem nylon stock, rib and in its original .221 Fireball. With a nice scope, too.

Trigger on that one is not just sweet, it is outstanding.

My XP was in 7mmBR and yes, that trigger was amazing, MAYBE 3 pounds, maybe. With my (US made) Burris compact fixed power, it would put three shots into less than 1 inch at 100 yards. Being LH and having the bolt on the right side was like having a LH gun.........

gwpercle

How else you going to get a 308 Win. handgun ?

Besides they just looked so danged cool and futuristic ...
When you hauled one out , everyone on the range wanted to see and/or shoot it !
Gary

stagpanther

That might matter at a benchrest match or a general bragging session (among fishermen) but many a family has been fed by a person with an heirloom Win 94 or a Bubba Custom SMLE that nobody wasted the ammo to figure out what it would group.
Truth in what you say; it just depends what the shooter is "into." I see the pre-season rifle crowd show up where I shoot two weeks before deer season every year and generally they shoot rifles that very likely they've rarely if ever cleaned and usually they call it good if they can put 3 to 5 shots at 5" or less on a paper plate at 100 yds. Not my thing--but they generally fill their tags.

Ricklin

It would be a boring world if we only had vanilla. If you wish to shoot a .505 Gibbs in a handgun? More power to you! Please, if I am at the range that day, let us all know before you uncork that monster. Besides that, I wanna watch.