Big Game Rifle Caliber?

CC268

Not interested in any of the ultra mag's at this point, nor any weatherby (the ammo is insanely expensive and hard to find, no thanks). I am really leaning towards the 300 WM at this point. It will give me that extra range just in case I ever need it and will allow me to do some long range target shooting (not that any of the others won't allow that). I know when I went mule deer hunting this past fall I could have had several shots at a nice mule deer, but they were 500+ yard shots. I feel like the 300 WM would allow me to take those shots.

Keep the suggestions coming though, they help a lot.

mxsailor803

If it was me, I would stick to a .308 or 30-06. Both have taken down plenty of game in North America and I don't for see anything else coming close except for the .270win. Now I've got all three and would grab the .308 or -06 for the game you are talking about. I've just never needed (or wanted) anything bigger. Would a 7mag or 300wm work? Sure would. I wouldn't want to shoot either all day from a bench though.

green_MTman

good choice on the .300 winchester magnum

hodgedons retumbo gets exellent results on 300b win mag, that along with winchester large rifle magnum primers

the 200gr nosler accubond has had a shakey reputation with accuracy but if your gun will shoot that bullet well you can kill anything in north america at 500 yards and maybe more for deer

a 165gr sierra gameking makes a great deer and antilope load

Colt46

The various magums aren't really needed

The difference between the .30-06 and .308 isn't much(unless you handload) and the shorter action makes for a smaller rifle. The .270 is a perfect mule deer/elk rifle that is long established as a fine western caliber.

While the .243 isn't a good idea for elk, I still think it works well for mulies.

JD0x0

Okay I'll admit this isn't an apples to apples comparison comparing a 'super performance' load versus a non-super performance load but still, pretty impressive.

green_MTman

if your going to shoot a 30-06 or .300 win. mag. out past 300 you will want a 165/168gr VLD boatail spitzer
the 150gr 30 cal needs a 1 in 14" twist for proper stabilization.a under stablized bullet is an imediate problem and will manifest between 50 and 100 yards depending on how under stabilized it is.

however a over stabilized bullet will take 300 to 350 yards to manifest.you wont hit the broad side of a barn at 500 yards with a 150gr 30 caliber bullet with a gun that has a 1 in 10" twist
a .308 would be less of a problem being that it usualy has a 1 in 12" twist and thats fine with a VLD BTSP

green_MTman

I will make it simple
BUY A 7mm-08 BEST ALL AROUND BIG GAME RIFLE

its a .308 necked down to 7mm and it gives a 140gr bullet about 2850fps

recoil is light even in a very light weight gun it is a easy gun to carry through the wilderness and mountains.

several different grain weights are available,120,140(most common),150,160,175,180

but you only need one the 140 grain 7mm bullet.its light and low recoil for deer but the 140 grain bullet has a good sectional density and can easily penitrate moose,elk,bear whatever.

it can kill deer at 400 yards and antilope even farther and it gives a good 250 yard range on bigger stuff.is also good for bear in a non dangerous game situation.a place you will see the bear before it see's you.not good for hunting thick brush on coastal alaska where you good suprise a bear 10 feet away.

my gun is a 6.5-55 which very very similar to the 7mm-08 but the 6.5's are more a handloader thing but 7mm-08 ammo is not hard to find.

the factory rem. core-locked is tough enough for big stuff and has decent expantion as well.you have a any game,any season 1 gun 1 load do it all rifle

unless you would shoot to insanely long ranges you dont need a better gun

Chaz88

Well you already have more information than I can sort through. I will just add a vote for the 7mm Rem Mag. It has done everything I have aver asked of it. I do not think it is responsible, or a shot I would ever consider, but I watched a very good shooter take an antelope with one at a bit over 1500 yards. So if you can shoot well, in the normal hunting ranges, it will do the job.

Paul B.

I shoot every cartridge the OP has on his list and have done load work up with the one I don't have, the .300 WSM. Did it for my ex-son in law who is still my hunting partner.
Normally I limit my shots to 300 to 350 yards unless I'm carrying my .300 Win. Mag. I also understand the sometimes necessity of either taking or passing up a 500+ shot. Think Area 1 in Arizona when elk hunting. My last Arizona elk was shot at a lasered 530 yards with my .300 Win. Mag.
Frankly, up until he said he had to pass on some 500 yards shot on deer I would have suggested the 30-06 first, then the .270, 7mm Rem. Mag and finally the .300. I have no idea what the OP's tolerence for recoil is which is why I held off on the .300 as first choice.
If the OP is anywhere near Tucson, he's more than welcome to stop by and have a cup or two and discuss options.
Paul B.

Dirty_Harry

308 hands down. Easy to find ammo and cheapest. Of the calibers you mentioned all will do the trick, but 308 will do it the cheapest.

CC268

I think if I was strictly shooting targets I would buy the .308. To be honest I may very well buy a .308 this summer for just target shooting. It will allow me to shoot often and increase my shooting ability. I didn't get drawn for elk this year so I don't need a .300 WM right now, but I think I may very well buy one soon.

To Paul above, I go to school in Flagstaff, AZ and live in Phoenix, AZ during the summer.

natman

I would really like something that is versatile (like I said good for big game and some target shooting). I have shot everything from a .270 to a 7mm MAG, to a 300 Ultra Mag. I am open to suggestions but PLEASE NO ODD CALIBERS that are hard to find. Here are a list of calibers that come to mind that may be good?

30-06
300 Win Mag
300 Win Short Mag
7MM Mag

Every one of the cartridges mentioned would be a good choice for the uses mentioned. The differences between them are slight and small variations in requirements could change the outcome.

However, for versatility, you can't beat the 30-06. Second choice, and first if you plan on making a short, light carbine would be the 308.

The 270 is not as far away from the 243 as the 30-06 and has few target bullets compared to 30 caliber. The 30-06 is a better choice for target shooting than any of the magnums.

Mike1234

I'm no expert and I don't hunt. But for myself I chose .30-06 Sprg for it's versatility and ability to do anything I'll ever need it to do in my area. I do also have a .223 Rem and a very good .22 caliber pellet rifle. I see no need for anything else "here".

I suppose if I already had a .243 then I'd opt for a .300 Win Mag because it's the biggest step up. Or maybe a 7mm Rem Mag. I'm thinking any of the others will just be an incremental change but I could be wrong, of course.

I'm sure you already know this but...

.243 is a necked-down .308
.270 is a necked-down .30-06
EDIT: 7mm Rem Mag (I think) is a necked down .375 H&H Mag

Last edited:

huntinaz

As a resident elk hunter in Flagstaff AZ (love this town), I'd say go ahead and get a 300 Mag or WSM if you are leaning towards one anyway. A 308 or 30-06 will do the job, but if you are already thinking about shooting elk at 500 yards you might as well have the extra oompf.

I've killed most of my elk with a 30-06 inside 300 yards (most under 200 yards). I decided to build a rifle awhile back for long range fun, deer and occaisionally elk. I had settled on a 270 or 7mm magnum at one point thinking it'd be mostly a deer rifle but I knew the that if I ever lined up a nice bull at 500 yards, I'd want something bigger. So I opted for a 300 WSM.

A 308 or '06 will certainly do the job for at least awhile and you can decide whether or not to go bigger from there. In my opinion, mostly due to the terrain differences I hunt deer and elk in, I think elk are easier to get closer shots on than deer. I hunt elk in pines or pinon/junipers which provide better cover for pulling sneaks as opposed to deer who are often in more open country full of smaller trees and bushes.

CC268

^^^ Yea I really think I am going to go with the 300 WM. That seems to be the general consensus on another forum that I posted on as well. I agree that elk are usually closer shots, but some of those shots on deer can be LONG. I think it is better to be safe than sorry and just go with the 300 WM. I would consider the 300 WSM but it is harder to find ammo. The 300 WM can be found pretty much anywhere.