Big Game Rifle Caliber?

hooligan1

With the growing selection of quality bullets, the 7 mm rem mag would be one to look at hunting that state of Arizona, if it were me, I wouldnt choose a caliber that would just "do", I would select a caliber that would "do nicely", and the 7 mag would be nice.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Factory rifles and factory ammo? .308 = .30-'06 = .270, near as makes no nevermind. Nothing wrong with maggies, but they're not really necessities for clean kills to 400 or 500 yards.

Since you have a 243 for light duty purposes. Perhaps something in the Weatherby calibers for those times calling for a muscled cartridge. 7mm Weatherby Mag or 300 Weatherby Mag. Problem is you won't find Weatherby shells sold at the corner gas station or Woolworth's Five & Ten. If that's not a bothersome problem. You'd be buying a top of the line quality made weapon having a impeccable reputation. A manufacture that doesn't cancel its cartridge making or limit there making of. At company whim. Frankly I can't say the same for Remington or Winchester.

Savage99

McGee,

Your shill for Weatherby products is not believable.

The Weathery co. has the reputation for loud, heavy recoiling guns made in japan (they started and lost ww2) with freebore (pre-worn throats) and expensive ammo.

The inlays they put in their garish guns smack of white wall tires on kids toys.

:eek:

openguns.jpg

Savage99

Oh you so you don't believe my spiel. Well honestly Sir I don't own a Wearherby or ever have. I just wanted to offer info a little different than those other commentor's is all. But anytime {those I believe} pictured in your thread Weatherby's are up for sale. Give me shout. I need another or two Bad Boy rifles here._:)

Kreyzhorse

.308, 30.06, 7mm Rem Mag or a .270 would be fine for mule deer or elk. You can stress out, read ballistics and generally lose sleep over it, but honestly, if you can shoot, any of them will do the job.

CC268

Thanks for all the help guys! I am rethinking the 300 WM idea...you guys are probably right that a .270, .308, 7 MAG, or 30-06 would all be great. Too many choices! Keep the advice and info coming!

Just curious what would the effective range on elk be for the above calibers?

FrankenMauser

Perhaps something in the Weatherby calibers...
A manufacture that doesn't cancel its cartridge making or limit there making of. At company whim. Frankly I can't say the same for Remington or Winchester.
Weatherby doesn't make their own ammo. All Weatherby brass and loaded ammunition comes from Norma.

And, like all other ammunition manufacturers, it is run in batches. .240 Weatherby and .340 Weatherby, for example, only seem to get run every two to three years. If there's a spike in demand for 'your' ammo between production runs... you're out of luck until the next one.

When you shoot factory Weatherby ammo, you're as much of a slave to Weatherby and Norma's 'whims' as a .30-40 Krag factory ammo shooter is to Remington or Winchester's 'whims'.

Not to mention.... Weatherby ammo often costs 2, 3, or 5 times as much as competing cartridges. Brass, alone, often costs more than loaded ammo for the same cartridge.

Unless the person is well aware of what they're getting into, there's no way I'd even think about recommending they buy a Weatherby - especially if they don't reload.

CC268

Reading through all the threads it looks like a lot of people are for the 270 with the 300 WM close behind. The .270 would be nice because the ammo isn't too pricey...

I just don't want to get something that is too small of a "step" since I already have a .243, that is why I have been leaning away from the 270

What would you guys say is the effective range for elk for the 270 and 300WM?

Versatility is important too (target shooting, hunting, etc).

Last edited:

reynolds357

There is a pretty big difference between .243 and .270. In my opinion, 7mm is ideal for what you want to do. 7Rem mag, 7WSM, .280 Remington, .280 Ackley Imporved.

FrankenMauser

With all due respect Sir. Your spot on about the need to reload. Not so sure here about your Weatherby ammo comment. I agree although made by Norma probably off shore. You have to admit no Weatherby rifle owner has had to deal with a discontinuance or shortage of any Weatherby brand & labeled ammunition as of these last few years. Again I can't say the same in regards to Rem Win Fed or Hornady which have shown us shooting public quite the opposite Sir. Oh there's claims of hoarding and other business problems. But in the end the manufactures set the amount there willing to produce or perhaps at whim not.

CC268

Yea I understand...

To some extent it would be nice to have a gun that I could target shoot a decent amount since I avoid target shooting my .243 a bunch (since they are barrel burners). However, it is nice to have something that you know will put an elk down if you saw a trophy elk a longer distances. I suppose I could always buy a .308 down the road for target shooting practice.

I am sure all of your are right...any of the calibers I first listed would work just fine.

Water-Man

The only thing close between a .270 and a .300 at 400 yds or more is velocity, and the .300 is throwing a heavier bullet to boot.

The energy isn't even close if you want to consider that. Probably 600 fpe more for the .300 WM at 400-500 yds.

If you're going to do your shooting at 100-200-300 yds., the .270 is fine but I wouldn't favorably compare it to a .300 WM at 400 yds. and beyond.

There is little difference in recoil between the .270 and .30-06 and little difference between the .30-06 and .300 Mag.. When hunting you'd have a tough time feeling the difference.

Those comments made above about the Weatherby Mag are really over the top.:rolleyes:

CC268

Yea, the 300 WM may be a "safer" way to go...but not as friendly for target shooting. The best option obviously would be to get the 300WM and then get a .308 down the road for target shooting (and that may be what I do, but we will see).

lefteye

I have hunted pronghorn antelope, whitetail deer, mule deer, elk and black bear off and on for about 40 years. With the exception of whitetail hunting in Iowa with a 12 ga. shotgun, I have used bolt action rifles chambered in .243, .270, and .300 Win Mag. I have a 7mm Rem Mag but have not yet hunted with it. I have ALWAYS used hand loads for hunting. Based on this experience I would prefer a bolt action rifle chambered in .270, .280, or .30-06 for any big game animal southeast of Alaska.

Last edited:

CC268

Well I went to the store today and noticed that 300 WM ammo isn't even that expensive...270, 300 WM, 30-06, etc is all fairly close (within $5 of each other). Box of 20 300WM is about $30, which for some target shooting isn't too bad!

I said I would be getting into reloading, but it may be a year or more before I get everything to do it.

Anyways, keep the opinions and suggestions coming, it is very helpful.

FrankenMauser

You have to admit no Weatherby rifle owner has had to deal with a discontinuance or shortage of any Weatherby brand & labeled ammunition as of these last few years.
I think, just like many other cartridges and general ammunition availability, that may be highly regional.

In my area, the only Weatherby ammo that has been readily available for the last 2 years, or so, has been .460 Weatherby (at up to $200 per box), .338-378 Weatherby (at $160-180 per box), and .378 Weatherby (at $130-150 per box). And, when I say "readily available" I mean there's less than half a dozen boxes in a 200 mile radius. ...and most of them have been sitting alone on a dusty shelf for 4+ years.

Case in point.... One of my uncles bought a .340 Weatherby in March, after looking for the rifle, components, and ammo for a while. In the end, he was completely unable to locate brass or ammunition locally or even online. So, he had to raid his stash of .300 Weatherby cases, to form enough .340 Weatherby to test the rifle.

CC268 isn't interested in the Weatherbys, at all.

Pathfinder45

Just go buy a Winchester model 70 in 270 or 30-'06 and shoot the living daylights out of it. Save your brass and take up reloading. Maintain a reasonable stockpile of loaded ammo and perhaps an additional 100 rounds fired and/or in various stages of being reloaded. If you shoot it often you can shoot it well and it will feel like the rifle likes you.

green_MTman

a .243 can kill any big game in north america so its more the range.

what is the longest shot you would take?

250 yds most .308 based rifles but with a .243 head shot is best

300 yards 270,30-06 7mm mag

400 yds 300 win mag

it never hurts to go with ultra magnum class rifles as well because you get a longer point blank range.

two guns i would strongly urge you to think about: 7mm remington ultra mag and .30-378 weatherby mag.very very powerfull and very very flat shooting

here is the 7mm ultra mag
sighted in with a 350 yard 0 with a 150gr VLD boattail spitzer

only 5" high at 200 and only 4" low at 400 and it can kill an elk at 600 yards

Last edited: