Best Scopes under $350

In this price range... Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm... I'm not saying their aren't any other good scopes in this price range, but the leupold is the only one I have experience with...

tINY

Pwillie is probably just blinded by bling... You know - if it ain't a Harley, don't bother riding it and all that...

-tINY

Warchild

Speaking on the bling and having a Swarovskis just to say you have one. I wish someone could show me in person how much better the Swarovskis is than say a comparable Leupold or Nikon in the same zoom classification. I'd like to really see what warrants the huge difference in price. I have a Nikon Buckmasters in 3-9x40 that is perfectly capable for what I use it for and couldn't imagine needing much more. Now maybe in the much higher magnification ranges there may be an uber feature the Swarovskis has that trumps a Leupold or Nikon but I doubt I'd care or notice.

PTS1

I know you said under $350 but Natchesz is having a sale on last year's VX-III models and have the silver 3.5-10X40 for $383.00. That is about $100 less than last year. Great scope for the price. But if $350 is the absolute max, than get the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 for $250.00 and use the other $100 for ammo or 8x30 binnoculars or a timeny trigger or etc... The Nikon Monarch is not $100 bucks better than the 4200 nor is the Leupold for that matter. But for the extra $133 on the Leupold, you get the best warranyy/customer service in the business. Is the warranty worth the extra $133 over the 4200? Only when you need it, just like insurance.

tINY

I wish someone could show me in person how much better the Swarovskis is than say a comparable Leupold or Nikon in the same zoom classification. I'd like to really see what warrants the huge difference in price. I have a Nikon Buckmasters in 3-9x40 that is perfectly capable for what I use it for and couldn't imagine needing much more.

You have a good understanding. Once you hit the $250 mark, scopes don't get much better untill you double the price $500 will be a little better than $250 and $1000 will be a little better than $500... the difference is much less than comparing a $250 scope to a $125 scope. This all assumes same basic A-BxC configuration.

What you get for your wad of cash varies, but usually it's slight improvements in clarity or less abberation at the very edge of the field of view. Sometimes it's a better adjustment system that holds up to repeated come-ups. Often, you pay a premium for a name too.

-tINY

madcratebuilder

A have a Bushnell Elite 4200 and Mueller TAC II. Both very similar features, both have great glass. I have shoot high dollar scopes, didn't see that much difference. If you get into a real high power scope and shoot to 1000yds then maybe it's worth the money. For 4-500 yds I don't think it is.

I do own one high dollar scope, it's eighty years old and 3X.
clean32.jpg

Last edited:

pwillie

"Bling"?....a Harley? Nah...BMW! Now about scopes,my position is,350.00 is not much money for a good scope.The best American scope is Leupold. Nikon,Weaver,Burris are all decent if your shooting on a range in daylight.We tried the bench test with 10 different scopes many years ago(ten) with a deer cape on a fence @ a 100 yds...only Leupold and Zeiss made the test,all others failed. Point is, a decent scope to hunt with will cost between 390.00 to what ever you want to spend. I prefer Swarovski for low light conditions,and they should be illegal with a full moon! I know some one on Sarge pay can't afford the expensive scopes,but save up for a couple years like I did,and you can have a good scope,like a Leupold Veri X 111 with adjustable objective.I like 50 MM scopes,because of the magnafication.To each his own,but good glass is hard to beat.Most people will say some other scope is better than a Swarovski because they don,t are can't spend the big bucks,and I understand that position.Smartass? Yes!:D

deadeye1122

rudy do you acually have a new model redfield scope? thought they just went on sale yesterday. can't wait for some reports. just picked up on ebay a nikon monarch 4x16x42 sf for 320.00. can't wait to try it out. deadeye