Best Scopes under $350

warbirdlover

Okay, I started a thread on my new Mueller scope and got alot of "bad reviews" based on ????. So rather then do scope bashing, list in order what you would put on your big game rifle. Remember, no big dollar German scopes allowed in this. If that's all you'd put on don't post in here. Thanks.

:D

tINY

Depends on what kind of hunting you do. Do you have a lot of low-light shots? Do you carry the thing a long way and do a lot of climbing? Do you take shots past 175 yards?

-tINY

uncyboo

Leupold VX IIs will lead most of the lists you get.
The Nikons, upper end Bushnell's, Burris, Weaver, etc. will all be up there too.

It must be noted, though, that there are thousands and thousands of Bushnell $19.99 "package" scopes out there that have been killing deer for years and years, and will continue to do so. I'm not promoting them, and don't use them. Just stating the obvious. They serve their purpose, and that is to get hunters on a very tight budget out in the field, and that is an important role for the hunting sport's health.

In the mid-80s, while just starting a family and being pretty much broke most of the time, I bought a new Tasco Wolrd Class 3x9x40 and put it on my only hunting rifle at the time, an 03A3 30-06 my Dad built. That rifle/scope combo has killed more deer than I can count, and the scope still sits on that rifle. No reason to change it in my eyes. think I paid maybe 69 or 79 bucks at the time.

I've had good luck with the Simmons Aetec. I also currently own 2 Sightrons, a Nikon, a couple of Leupold VX IIIs.

Folks will quickly begin to start picking my scope selections apart, and that's OK. I think there is a certain amount of "cork sniffery" going on when it comes to scopes.

I have the lower and middle ranges of the scope world covered. Are the Leupolds the "best" scopes in my line up? I would have to say yes. They are a little bit clearer and adjustments track very, very well. Do they put my bullets any closer to the target for me? That's debatable. At almost 3X the cost of the Nikons, Sightrons, or Aetecs I have, do they put my bullets 3X closer on target or are they 3X clearer, or do they gather 3X as much light in low-light conditions? No.

rickdavis81

I have the Mueller Tac II and I think it's a pretty darn good scope. I've also had some of the Bushnell ELite 3200 and 4200's and Nikon Buckmasters. If I was to buy one again for under 350 it would probaly be the Mueller.

fyimo

My recommendation is either a Leupold Vari-X II or a Bushnell Elite 4200 as both are excellent and in your price range.

taylorce1

No partricular order but scopes I'v used that have cost me under $350 and have served me very well. Bushnell Elite 4200, B&L Elite 3000, Burris Fullfield II, Leupold VX-I, VX-II & VX-III, Nikon Prostaff & Monarch, and Sightron SI.

Just pay attention to the internet and surf and you can come up with some great deals. All four of my VX-III scopes were purchased for less than $350 NIB granted I couldn't get anything with a higher power range than 2.5-8X36 for that price. Picked up a 2-7 B&L Elite 3000 for $125 and a 2-7 Nikon Monarch for $200 both new old stock in shrink wrap. Recently got a VX-II 4-12X40 AO for $300 NIB as well.

Adrian

Have you considered a medium-dollar, half-German scope? ;)

Occasionally the Zeiss Conquest 4X goes on sale for $299. I find it to be quite a bit more scope than the Leupold fixed-4X - not enough to justify its normal pricetag, maybe, but at $299 it's a bargain. Of course, that choice reflects my personal preference for a sharp fixed-power scope; if you really want a variable it may not be so good for you.

James R. Burke

Leupold 3x9x40, bought two of the limited editions when they came out last year. Got one for myself, and one for the wife. They work great, gather light good, and have always seemed very accurate. There are a few other good ones out there. I hear the Nikon has a good line. I have owned a few of them thru the years and never had a problem, but they have a great warranty if you should need it.

tINY

Lots of name dropping going on here...

Go to a few gun shops/sporting goods stores and look through a few... get what you like.

The reason (I think) there is so much unthinking brand loyalty is there isn't a lot of difference between brands at about the same price. It comes down to reticles, turrets, and occular configurations. Those can be very subjective.

-tINY

GONIF

FYI,in Leupold scopes the VXIII scopes are where you want to be . the VXII scopes are over priced for what you get . a Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 4200 will blow the VXII away .If you can find (and you can if you look ) Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for under $400.00 ,grab it .;)

http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/brand.html

Last edited:

Bigfatts

Mueller, Sightron, Nikon Buckmasters, etc all make good scopes that would do the job for the vast majority of scopes. Personally if $350 was my budget I'd probably go with an older El Paso Weaver.