Best Home Defense Shotgun

john1911

You people who like the pistol grips and the saiga shotguns go ahead and use them. And when the prosecuting attorney flashes it to the jury and you end up in jail I'll send you a nice b-day card (on my b-day, not yours. I'll make sure it has a pic of me at a beach or something).

Get yourself an Rem 870 Express (with an 18" slug barrel), keep it bone stock, learn how to use it and then pray you never need it.

Why take the chance with the 870? Great, great grandaddie's flintlock should be all you need. :rolleyes:

L_Killkenny

ya, you're right, a BP shotgun is all 99%(+) of us will ever need for home defence. But they're a pain in the arse and they make the room smell of smoke for days after pluggin someone.

The difference between BP shotty and an 870 is a lot farther apart than the difference between the 870 with factory stock and one with a pistol grip or the Saiga Semi for that matter. Stupid comparison.

You gain practically nothing with pistol grip when it comes to effectivness and I'm not paranoid enough to think I need a Saiga with a drum mag to defend my home.

LK

WacosSon

ya, you're right, a BP shotgun is all 99%(+) of us will ever need for home defence. But they're a pain in the arse and they make the room smell of smoke for days after pluggin someone.

I would think the room would smell worse from pluggin someone than it would from the smoke.

john1911

The difference between BP shotty and an 870 is a lot farther apart than the difference between the 870 with factory stock and one with a pistol grip or the Saiga Semi for that matter. Stupid comparison.

What's the difference between a plain Jane 870 and an 870 with a pistol grip? They both cycle the same way and have the same rate of fire. How does that extra plastic make one "bad"?

What's the difference between the Saiga and the 1100? Both are gas operated semi-autos. Does the detachable magazine make the Saiga "evil"? I imagine Chuckie Schumer or Diane Feinstein would say so, but would a gun-owner?

SR420

Best Home Defense Shotgun

Mine is the HK/Benelli M1 Super 90 with factory pistol grip and ghost ring sights that I purchased brand new in 1993.

70%20benelli.jpg

L_Killkenny

Quote bt John1911:
"Quote:

What's the difference between a plain Jane 870 and an 870 with a pistol grip? They both cycle the same way and have the same rate of fire. How does that extra plastic make one "bad"?

What's the difference between the Saiga and the 1100? Both are gas operated semi-autos. Does the detachable magazine make the Saiga "evil"? I imagine Chuckie Schumer or Diane Feinstein would say so, but would a gun-owner?"

I'm a gun owner and will defend anyone's right to buy any firearm they see fit even if I do think it's over the top and unneeded. On the flip side, I will also tell a fellow gun owner when I think certain items are over the top and unneeded. No one here is gonna agree on everything and I'm not gonna try. But these forums would get pretty lame and unnecessary if it's all one sided.

I do think that items such as pistol grips and bayonets are over the top for home defence and do little, if anything, to help a home owner defend their home. These items can have ill effects on you and I in certain cases where the general public becomes involved. Like it or not, it was an effect.

A basic pump gun is a great HD weapon. No reason to add all the Mall Ninja stuff to it.

LK

oneounceload

The best HD shotgun isn't a shotgun, but a Colt M4, 30 round magazine and a suppressor!, ( with an MP-5 in a close second place).....:D

eldogg4life

Good Thread

Just to chime in...
I have a Rem870 12g.
I did buy a collapsible stock with pistol grip plus a mag tube extension.
I used to say "a pistol grip belongs on a pistol"
but after shooting my Rem870 with the collapible stock I really like it.
At the end of the day you gotta go to ur gunshop of choice and handle the firearm. You will know which one is The One. Good Luck!!!

2ndchance

What about ammo?

There's been a lot of debate between a Mossy 500 and a Rem 870. But there hasn't been mention about the proper ammo. If I read correctly, the original poster made mention about shooting slugs with a pistol grip shotgun.

Slugs? For home defense? I use game loads with 7-1/2 size shot. Pure devastation at under 15 ft., lighter recoil, and safer then over penetrating slugs.

Oh, BTW. I solved the gun debate years ago. I have both the 870 AND the 500 under my bed. No faster reload than a 2nd gun!

jmr40

And with #7 1/2 shot you will very likely need that 2nd shotgun for back up. While a lot of the shotguns listed will work fine, my choice is an 870 with 20" IC barrel with rifle sights. Mine shoots slugs into 4"-5" groups at 100 yds and 2" groups at 50 yds. Buckshot patterns are still tight enough to be effictive out to 20-25 yards. Choosing birdshot is a very, very, poor choice. I would only use it if it were all I had and then would suggest the largest shot size available.

jjyergler

In home, birdshot is best.

Reason #1 Less chance of overpenetration, the importance of which we all
understand.
Reason #2 In short range situations, the pattern expands more quickly
Practically at less than 20 feet, pattern expansion is limited, but
birdshot will do a bit better.
Reason #3 In short range situations, birdshot is a more powerful load. At
short range, the effect of birdshot is similar to a giant Glaser
safety slug. Birdshot has more lead going downrange
than buckshot, as it is more densely loaded.

Jeff F

In home, bird shot is best.

By far the worst advice when it comes to a defensive load for a shotgun.
Bird shot is for birds, not social use.
Any buckshot from No4 on up is what you want to use when your life is on the line unless its all you have at the time leave the bird shot for the birds.

akr

jjyergler:

My mistake. I have been listening to experts for years, when I should have just contacted you.

jmr40

No one in his right mind would ever suggest that birdshot is acceptable to stop a black bear. Yet some people have the mistaken idea that it is acceptable for humans. In reality bears and humans are about the same size, with most weighing between 150-250 lbs. Sure there are bigger bears but you are much more likely to be attacked by a 350 lb man than a 350 lb bear.

Bears are not any tougher or harder to kill tham a typical man. The only advantage they have is a thicker hide. Put a man in even a light jacket and birdshot will be slowed to the point that penetration is severely limited. Put a heavy coat on a man and birdshot may serve to just make him mad. Even buckshot has penetration problems under these conditions.

Unless you know your attackers are going to be 120 lb naked men and you are going to wait until they are at near contact distance to pull the trigger please use buckshot.

Bill DeShivs

Cops use buckshot because they may be in encounters at DISTANCE.
I will say (for the hundredth time) that buckshot is not necessary at home defense ranges.
I know it's hard for city folks to go out somewhere they can experiment with different shotgun loads, but you really should try it.