Best Glock for my needs?

CC268

Hey guys, I am interested in picking up a Glock for concealed carry/home defense, but something that would also be enjoyable for some light target shooting (for practice of course). I don't want something so small that I lose accuracy, but I don't want something that is so big that it is uncomfortable to carry.

tomrkba

Glock 19. It is the best balance between height, length, weight, capacity and performance. It really is difficult to beat. The frame supports 40 S&W and 357 SIG, but the blast and recoil of these cartridges is annoying. This frame size is easy to carry; just get a holster with lots of forward cant.

However, do not underestimate the Glock 26. This gun is quite accurate. Felt recoil is less than that of the Glock 19 and 17. It carries really well and you can use 19 or 17 magazines (with or without a grip adapter).

If you move up to 45 ACP, then the guns start getting chunky. I really like the Glock 21 Gen4 and it is a soft shooter. The Glock 30 had a very wide slide, but the now 30S takes it down to G19 width. However, the magazine extends up into the frame and can pinch the finger during a fast reload.

jad0110

If I were in the market for a Glock, and I wanted an "all arounder", I'd go with either the G17 or 19. I am tall and I carry IWB, so barrel length makes little difference for me, so I'd likely go G17 personally (I carry 4" revolvers and a 5" 1911).

The only issue with most of the Glocks is they have a big butt :p . The butt of the gun is what most people have the hardest time concealing. Therefore, something the size of a G26 will be easier to conceal not because it has a shorter barrel, but because it has less junk in the trunk :D . But then unless you use Glock's extended magazines, it is tough medium to large handed folks to get all the fingers on the grip ... and then you may as well get the G17 or 19. Its a tradeoff, as always.

TMD

My vote is for the G26/27 platform. Over the years I've owned several Glocks in each frame size and the two that I've kept were my G35 which by the way has over 15,000 trouble free rounds through it and my G27. I've found that I can shoot the G26/27 platforms as accurately as the G19/23 models and it is more easily concealable. On a side note if you go with a .40 model you can convert it to a 9mm or .357sig with nothing but a barrel swap.

AK103K

Id highly suggest getting them all in your hands and see what you like. Shooting them all would be even better yet.

Ive always found the 19's grip t be somewhat cramped, and prefer the 17's for that reason. I also have never found it to be a problem to conceal a 17, and have done so daily, for a number of years now.

However, do not underestimate the Glock 26. This gun is quite accurate.
I agree. I shoot mine, just as well as the larger models, and in some cases, better.

Dont be fooled into thinking you need mag extensions either. Learn to wrap that pinkie under the mag. Its very comfortable and natural, once you get used to it. Theres no need to reduce/defeat the guns usefulness, buy making it unnecessarily bigger.

The only issue with most of the Glocks is they have a big butt .
Actually, they really are not "big". All my 1911's grips are "fatter", 1.25-1.34 vs the Glocks 1.18.

Captains1911

Glock 19. It is the "if I could only have one gun" answer. Small enough to carry concealed without too much difficulty, but large enough to shoot easily. It also allows the option to use of 17 and 33 round magazines for range and/or home defense.

Last edited:

redhologram

For what you are describing Glock 19 came to my mind first. It's just a great gun for everything from the range, conceal carry, and home defense.
There isn't any one gun that can typically fulfill all requirements but the Glock 19 comes really close.
I also have the 17 and 26 for range and conceal carry, respectively, and they are great as well. Size could potentially be a factor in each of those depending on your size when carrying. The 17 is my favorite but for my size it is too big to conceal.
I run my 17 and 19 when teaching and conceal carry my 26 mostly because of its smaller size.
What has also made a nice difference is I had the Zev Tech Fulcrum Ultimate trigger kit and Zev sites put on all of my Glocks along with the Vicker's slide stop, a stainless steel guide rod assembly and Talon grips.

tahunua001

I would say you would probably be best served with the glock 19. not much of a glock guy myself but if you really want the brand I suggest the 19.

teejhot.40cal

Like everyone... I like my 19 and it is my true all purpose pistol. I have it outfitted with a set of crimson trace grips and a bullet slide stop. Hope it helps

Pond James Pond

Had a G19. Sold it, but rated it. It just wasn't right for me, but as a gun I thought it was really good.

Shot a G26: supremely surprised by how well I was able to shoot that. Well worth a look: don't be fooled by the quirky grip to slide ratio!

Ozzieman

I am another 26 fan but I disagree with the mag extensions. If the gun is comfortable shooting without the pinky extensions that’s all well and good. But the small amount of length increase can go a long way in adding improved control. For me the multiple shots are much easier and much faster. Just do yourself favors, if you pick up a G26 and not having support for your small finger does matter give the extensions a try.
The one complaint I hear is that the 26 has only 10 rounds. Put a G17 mag on the gun with a cheap rubber boot that’s available from many companies and the gun becomes a short barred 17. This improves balance so well it’s about as perfect as any plastic gun I have ever fired.
On Post 32 there is a picture of a G26 with a normal 10 shot and a 15 shot mag. I named it wrong at the time.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546387

DaleA

Just to be the contrarian here (or as I prefer to call it 'the voice of reason') I'd like you to reconsider the one gun decision and get a full sized Glock for fun and a sub-compact (or compact if you like that better) for carry.

My reason is this: I like shooting but I like it a lot more with a full sized gun than the compact or sub-compact and I think most people do. So have a 'gun for fun' and a serious gun too. Practice with both but I think you'll wind up shooting more overall and many of the skills from the full-sized gun will transfer to the smaller gun. Plus you'll have more fun.