Best Fighting Pistol

saleen322

Given the scenario you described, a good 1911. I prefer accuracy over capacity in that case. Accurate to cover the distance if you need to shoot and enough capacity to get you to the door and out.

Sharkbite

Imagine an active shooter situation, say one or possibly multiple assailants, in a large, "auditorium" type environment.

I attend a large church and am part of (and train) the armed(ccw) usher contingent.

My carry piece during services is a M&P with a RMR red dot mounted. The reason for the RMR is EXACTLY what you are asking about. Accuracy at distance is the red dots strong suit.

Shots that are difficult with standard sights are easy AT SPEED with the red dot. 100 yard body shots are stupid easy, as are closer range headshots.

sigarms228

Your scenario is not likely since most auditorium settings tend to be gun free zones. If you’re thinking sports arenas or the like, there will be plenty of police and possibly even snipers posted. Pulling a gun in that scenario will lead to a high probablility of hitting bystanders AND being mistaken for another shooter.

Well that is the reality in that almost all these type shootings happen in gun free zones. The killer at the Aurora Theater went out of his way to find a theater that did not allow firearms.

There are a few theaters in this area that don't allow firearms and they don't get my business as there are plenty that do.

I CCW my Walther PPS or Glock 19. If I had the luxury of knowing I would need to defend myself on a particular day I would have my HK P30L with me.

jreXD9

What gun and why? My Mod 2 .45 subcompact with 3-13rd mags and 1-10rd mag..50rds..like I had with me at church Sunday while on our security team. Why? Because I've gotten to where I can hit a paper plate at 75ft with it. I'm shooting it better than the Mod 2 9mm and you should absolutely carry what you shoot most accurately as long as it's dependable. Carry multiple mags with you, especially if it's a single stack. Just my 2 cents.

Buckeye!

2hedd9y.jpg

Glock 17 LAV. Vickers

Brit

My always carry, Glock 19 4th gen, TruGlo night sights, and a second magazine Glock 17 one. I used to shoot IDPA matches, same pistol.
Having said all that, our trip to watch our 7-year-old Grand Daughters recital at the Dr Phillips centre, downtown Orlando, was no guns!

My Son picked us up, so pistol, and spare mag, folding knife, in Gun Safe, set alarm, off we went.

Carrying my unbreakable umbrella! (A weapon!) And my cell phone.

Stepped into the metal detector, the Lady asks me do you have a cell phone? Yes said I. Pulled it out, stepped through the metal detector! And umbrella.

What is this on your belt? She said. "A holster for a pistol, which is at home."
We now have Supervisor! And a pay duty Orlando Cop as well. A big young Back guy. Who never stopped smiling!

Lift your shirt up! I handed my umbrella, and Cell phone to the Officer, and the cell phone. He smiled "Are you ordering me to hold your stuff?"

"Just a suggestion," I said. He never stopped smiling. These two women cannot grasp that it is too much trouble to get undressed nearly, to take off the holster, and two mag pouches, one still with my Surefire flashlight in it.
They never saw the Surefire.
"The holster has no gun in it, the gun is at home, I carry a gun every day, but not in this place, because you do not allow it!"

The Cop hands me my umbrella, and phone (still smiling) the two clueless Security? Ladies, just looked befuddled. They had no idea what a holster was. And in we went.

The Girls, all of them were marvellous! Felt better, at home, armed again.

Austin HiPowers

My service weapon, since that is what I am trained best with, and shoot it regularly. It proofed that I can trust it with my life. It is a Beretta PX4 (Compact since I am a detective) in 9mm.

5whiskey

This may sound selfish, but my actions would probably also change if I was with my family (young kids) compared to if I was by myself. I would be less likely to engage unnecessarily with my family, as that would most likely draw fire in my direction. I would try and get them to safety and engage only if being engaged.

Nothing at all wrong with that. I don't view that as selfish, I view that as your duty to your family.

Oni_Kadaki

Is an HK SP5K with red dot right considered cheating for the purposes of this question?

If so, I'd go with my VP9 or my P226 TACOPS.

WVsig

The 1911 pistol is "The Worlds Finest Close Quarters Sidearm”… and, “King of feedway stoppages.” - Ken Hackathorn

All kidding aside I am a with Tunnel Rat on this one. We are lucky to live in a time when there are so many reliable quality firearms so the "best fighting handgun" is the one you shoot best and happen to have on you when you need it.

There is no "best". There a lots of valid subjective choices but none of them transfer into a universal truth.

Last edited:

jmr40

If some one else is paying for the gun I can be happy with most any of the common duty pistols. Glock, Beretta, Sig, S&W, or several more. I can shoot them all well enough and trust any of them to work.

If I'm spending my money I lean toward Glock. Although the newer Smith M&P 2.0 is promising and I've found the Ruger LC9s to be the better single stack 9mm. I prefer it over similar guns from any other manufacturer.

I have several 1911's and like them for their history. Good enough guns in their day and probably the best option for range games still today. But I don't consider them a top tier personal defense or military pistol any longer.

TunnelRat

The 1911 pistol is "The Worlds Finest Close Quarters Sidearm”… and, “King of feedway stoppages.” - Ken Hackathorn

All kidding aside I am a with Tunnel Rat on this one. We are lucky to live in a time when there are so many reliable quality firearms so the "best fighting handgun" is the one you shoot best and happen to have on you when you need it.

There is no "best". There a lots of valid subjective choices but none of them transfer into a universal truth.
I was watching a video today where Hackathorn was talking with Ian of Forgotten Weapons. The question was given the mixed results of M1 Carbines today in terms of reliability, why are there those that used them that were so fond of them? Of course the age of existing examples and the quality of reproductions were brought up. However, another point Hackathorn brought up was the fact that frankly our reliability standards have changed over time. Given the general ease of clearing the feed malfunctions common on the M1 it was likely judged good enough. While the M1 Carbine isn't a 1911 (although it was initially designed to replace it for more rear echelon troops) I think the same principlel applies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2wheelwander

I'll go one step further besides the one you are most proficient at.

Buy the CZ75 platform and become proficient with it, THEN you'll have the best fighting pistol! ;) :D