Best cal and gun for grizzly protection

Dano4734

I gave my kid my old model 29 44 mag but is there a wheel gun better for alaska brown protection. First line is bear spray but is the 44 enough or is there better

TXAZ

Bigger, accurate and more rounds.
It appears the Alaskian guides like 44, 454 and 500 8"+ barreled revolvers.

Wyosmith

Bear guns are guns that have penetration enough to break big bones and penetrate deep. The "best' bear gun is one that does these things that you can shoot well and fast.
I was the CEO of Cast Performance Bullet Co for some time and I have a LOT of experience with what works, what doesn't and so on, but I can tell you faithfully that a good 357 Magnum with hard cast LBT Bullet or heavy Keith SWCs is FAR better than a 500 S&W, if you can shoot the 357 better and faster then the 500.

We have a tendency to look at guns when we should be looking at shooters.

If you develop the skills to use the heavier more powerful guns then they are better.

More is better, when loosing the fight means getting permanently hurt or killed, but what's going to save you is accurate hits, and because of that I recommend using the most powerful gun you can shoot well
Let me repeat "that you can shoot well."

Deaf Smith

Many Alaskans who live with bears right in their back yards do use such guns as Ruger Blackhawk .44s, Redhawks, S&W 629s, etc... The very well known guide, Phil Shoemaker, uses a 629 Mountain Revolver (but the last bear he killed he used a 9mm!)

http://grizzlyskinsofalaska.com/

Now these people actually use them and have killed Grizzly and Brown Bears with them. Sure they prefer a rifle or shotgun, but they pack handguns very often.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ed-this-year-in-alaska-in-defensive-shootings
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/26/two-brown-bear-attacks-reported-in-alaska-on-same-day.html
http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Al...und-brown-bear-on-his-property-426364311.html

Deaf

badge851

Wyosmith said:
Bear guns are guns that have penetration enough to break big bones and penetrate deep. The "best' bear gun is one that does these things that you can shoot well and fast.
I was the CEO of Cast Performance Bullet Co for some time and I have a LOT of experience with what works, what doesn't and so on, but I can tell you faithfully that a good 357 Magnum with hard cast LBT Bullet or heavy Keith SWCs is FAR better than a 500 S&W, if you can shoot the 357 better and faster then the 500.

We have a tendency to look at guns when we should be looking at shooters.

If you develop the skills to use the heavier more powerful guns then they are better.

More is better, when loosing the fight means getting permanently hurt or killed, but what's going to save you is accurate hits, and because of that I recommend using the most powerful gun you can shoot well.
Let me repeat "that you can shoot well."
I wholeheartedly agree with your sound and rational advice. What works best for me is a 41 Remington® Magnum. Others MMV but I can shoot that 41 fast and accurately; much better than I can any 44 Magnum.

g.willikers

Where does the advice to use pepper spray for big game come from?
From my own experience, the danger of getting the brunt of the spray oneself, and by the time it's discovered the bear wasn't impressed by it, your reaction time has been reduced to a dangerous level.
Just never made sense to me.
If the bear isn't a direct threat, why not leave it be and vacate the area?
If it is a threat, don't talk, shoot.
??
Maybe the advice is for encountering bears indoors.
Other opinions on the use of bear repellent please.....

T. O'Heir

The revolver and its chambering won't make any difference if,
1) he doesn't shoot it enough to be accurate.
2) He doesn't realize how fast Yogi/Cindy can be when he's(or she) PO'd. 100 yards in under 6 seconds. Approximately 35 MPH flat out. And that's 1,052–1,177 lbs. for a full grown boy bear.
3) He doesn't realize that no firearm will stop Yogi in his tracks.
Don't normally recommend Wikipedia for anything, but this made me laugh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bear_Square.JPG

balin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_spray
A .44mag would be the minimum caliber I would use for brown bears. Use the biggest caliber you are proficient enough to draw, fire, and hit your target with one shot repeatedly. A revolver can also be used for other self defense purposes. If bear was the only creature I was concerned about, then bear spray would be at the top of the list.

muzzleblast...

When I lived in AK, I most often carried a Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull loaded with 360 hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo during hunting, fishing, hiking expeditions. When walking the dog around the 'burbs of Anchorage, most often a 4" S&W 629 .44 mag. with 305 grain hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo. The best gun shop in Alaska, Great Northern Guns, stocked Buffalo Bore ammo. There are other options available. But, to me, the key is a heavy for bore diameter semi-wadcutter, or wide flat nosed bullet, to better one's odds of minimizing deflection and obtaining deep penetration.

"Wyosmith" gives solid advice in his post above. If a bear decides to maul you, you will be lucky to get a couple of shots off "while you are vertical".

dajowi

Years ago while circling Kodiak's airport we laughed as we watched the "follow me" trucks chase a trio of browns off the runway so we could land.

The chain link fence along the airstrip was in many places pushed over or torn through like the proverbial toilet paper.

Armed personnel accompanied us until we reached the terminal.

Kodiak is very beautiful but has the misfortune of having animals who can and will attack you and eat you.

I lived in the Aleutians and the beauty of the place I lived was never haunted by the fact that I could be admiring the view one moment and become lunch the next.

Like snake shot, a bear gun is something I can live without. Of course that's not to say that I don't have firearms in appropriate calibers.

Deaf Smith

Interesting thing last tonight gang. Just saw a show, 'Alaska State Troopers' , on cable, where one of the Alaskan Game Wardens had to find a dead bear that was supposedly shot illegally. He donned his gear to go... what did he take for bear protection? Pepper Spray? Handgun? Shotgun? Elephant Rifle?

Well he took a Remington 870 with 'tactical stock' (fixed stock with pistol grip), Ghost ring sights, Tac-Star six shot side saddle, and slugs. Yes slugs. And he used a one point sling.

All the time he was out there he talked about Brown and Grizzly bears (the area had been baited with honey). He kept his eyes pealed and that 12 gauge was hanging down right in front of his vest the whole time.

So that is what Alaskan Game Wardens use. Oh, and he never did find that bear!

Deaf

Dave T

I venture to say that trooper took his shotgun because of the weapons available to him it was a better choice than an AR-15 carbine or his side arm. That still doesn't mean a 12 ga is the "best" choice.

Dave

jackmoser65

I venture to say that trooper took his shotgun because of the weapons available to him it was a better choice than an AR-15 carbine or his side arm. That still doesn't mean a 12 ga is the "best" choice.
Amen to that. Sometimes you have to run what you brung.