Best AR general purpose caliber?

mehavey

IF, it was either platform, large or small frame, and only one caliber...I'd go 6.5CM all day.
If read that way... effectively any AR/any bolt, large or small ... 375 H&H.
(An open window is an open window.)
;) :D

JustJake

5.56/223 Wylde is going to be as general purpose as you’re going to get. Unless you have some sort of limitations that doesn't allow you to use 5.56/223 Wylde for hunting. But with good bullet selection its plenty capable for deer/hogs out to 300.Also parts, ammunition, and or reloading components will be cheaper and more readily available for 5.56.
The correct answer above, … unless you’re stuck living full-time in the bad-ass “bear country” of rural Alaska.

Then you’ll need to supplement the above 5.56 with: (1) a hot-loaded 10mm Gen4 Glock model 20 or model 40 (always carried on you); and (2), a “bear rifle” in an appropriate “bear caliber.” You pick which that is.

Pumpkin

.223/556, cheap, plentiful and offered in an amazing variety of loadings. Not perfect for many uses but adequate for quite a few.

Pumpkin

The correct answer above, … unless you’re stuck living full-time in the bad-ass “bear country” of rural Alaska.

Then you’ll need to supplement the above 5.56 with: (1) a hot-loaded 10mm Gen4 Glock model 20 or model 40 (always carried on you); and (2), a “bear rifle” in an appropriate “bear caliber.” You pick which that is.
If I were in rural Alaska with Bad Ass bears, I think a 44 Magnum would probably be my choice as a side arm. A Super RedHawk in .454 would be an even better choice, hypothetically of course ;-)

davidsog

5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO for GP AR Platforms.

Just finished customizing a Ruger SFAR. Put 200 rounds thru her today without a hiccup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ruger SFAR.jpg
    Ruger SFAR.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 95
  • RifleSpeed Gas Block.jpg
    RifleSpeed Gas Block.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 90

stagpanther

IF, it was either platform, large or small frame, and only one caliber...I'd go 6.5CM all day.
This reminds me I haven't function-checked my AR manbun in a couple of years.:) Dragged it out of the safe and going to put a few through. Not a featherweight, though.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9962.jpg
    IMG_9962.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 63

MarkCO

This reminds me I haven't function-checked my AR manbun in a couple of years.:) Dragged it out of the safe and going to put a few through. Not a featherweight, though.

I shot an Elk with mine in December. First time I have used such a light caliber to take an Elk. But with the neck surgery, a comped 6.5CM gas gun was the lightest recoiling rifle I felt suitable.

stagpanther

a comped 6.5CM gas gun was the lightest recoiling rifle I felt suitable.
Which is one of the reasons it's such a successful cartridge IMO. Not to beat a dead horse--but the 6.8 western similarly doesn't kick as hard as the WSM or PRC which is why I see it taking hold.;)

GeauxTide

Grendel

I have ARs in 5.56, Grendel, 300 HAM'R, and 450 Bushmaster. The Grendel has shot .3" with 123SST at 2400fps consistently.

stagpanther

I'm hoping a few of my favorite bolt gun models add the 6.8 Western. Not that I need anything else.
It seems to me like Winchester and Browning are content to "Bill Alexander" it and limit who can chamber it--I guess they want to kill it off themselves if anyone is going to.

sorry to go off topic everyone--I'll return shortly with AR related. :)