Best AR general purpose caliber?

rickyrick

It does, but there are more effective options out there.

I don’t disagree at all, but I’m looking at it from a do-all caliber point of view.

I tend to assemble components into purpose made ARs.

To restate my original opinion on the topic

I also think the 5.56/.223 is as about general purpose as you can get out to 300. The cartridge is more capable than internet lore suggests.

Shorter or longer distances there may be other options.

What I’ve found is as you stray away from .223 you end up giving up something, be it:
Cost
Ammo capacity
Reliability
Ammo availability
Range
Etc

wild willy

A couple years ago I would have said 6.8 SPC immediately but things have changed Sierra has discontinued bullets other bullets are impossible to get.The cheap overrun/surplus ammo is gone . I think the the 6.8 for my use is better than the 6.5 Grendel I have a fair amount of supplies for the 6.8 so I’m ok for a while but if I was buying one now it would probably be the 6.5

Maxx

If you could only pick one caliber for general purpose in the criteria mentioned, seems to me .308 is the obvious answer. Reaches out quite a ways, drops medium game animals, and is easy to find.

MarkCO

If you could only pick one caliber for general purpose in the criteria mentioned, seems to me .308 is the obvious answer. Reaches out quite a ways, drops medium game animals, and is easy to find.
But not available in an AR15, which the OP specified in the "criteria".

603Country

I’m not sure what you guys mean about general purpose and the 223. It really isn’t great for pig hunting, which is why I have a Grendel now.

rickyrick

For pigs, it depends on the range. I took 100s of pigs with .223. However, all of them were less than 100 yards and most within 50 yards. I’m not contradicting what 603country is saying either.
That being said I have different calibers for pigs now.
This is a tricky topic, but I still say that the best “all around” caliber AR is the .223/5.56.

Now if I wanted to nit-pick, then the chart posted in reply #9 shows that 6.8spc holds a slight edge over 6.5 Grendel. I have no way of knowing whether that information is accurate or not. However, im not finding a lot of 6.8spc factory ammunition as of late.
I think it depends on how the user wants to budget ammunition expenses In money or time.
My interpretation is that the OP is planning to through a significant number of rounds down range in practice and recreation.

tangolima

It is AR. The upper can be swapped very easily. I wouldn't confine myself to only one caliber. A combination of 2-3 complete uppers with associated magazines is what I would have.

But if I absolutely can have only one, I still pick .223 Wylde with 1:7 or 1:8 twist. I can handload with heavier bullets if I need expanded capabilities.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pistoler0

6.5 Grendel is just a great round.. if u are a handloader … ammo just to expensive
Im a 7.62x39 .. has limitations.. as long as you know’em .. ur good to go
yeah, I roll 7.62x39 with AR too, but not good for big game beyond 150-160 yards (falls below 1000 ft-lbs at that distance). But still nothing cheaper for factory ammo ($0.36 / round)

At $0.79/round for cheapest factory offering, 6.5 Grendel not outrageous.

[Prices per Ammoseek 7/8/2023 ]

Last edited:

MarkCO

It is AR. The upper can be swapped very easily. I wouldn't confine myself to only one caliber. A combination of 2-3 complete uppers with associated magazines is what I would have.

But if I absolutely can have only one, I still pick .223 Wylde with 1:7 or 1:8 twist. I can handload with heavier bullets if I need expanded capabilities.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Which is why I got out of a lot of calibers in AR patterns. Except the 10mm, all of my gas gun AR15s are .223 bolts. All of the AR10s are .308 bolts.

I just put a PSA upper on a spare lower. But part of the divestment of other calibers is that I now have 5 complete lowers without uppers. Not a bad problem to have.

603Country

The 223 AR had a problem putting down hogs. It’s understood that parking a bullet behind the pig’s ear works just fine, but in dim light such as a full moon and the pigs milling around, placement can be tough. In the Fall of last year I had a sounder in the front yard (think pasture) there was a medium sized hog at maybe 75 yards standing still. I was able to put the bullet where I wanted, or at least I thought so, but the dang hog ran off. Never did find it. It was the last of many lost hogs shot with the 223, and the last straw. I got a Grendel upper and factory Hornady 123 gr SSTs. Not too many nights later, here were the hogs again. I dropped the biggest one in its tracks. So far, the longest run after being hit with that bullet is about 35 yards.

When company comes, they all shoot the 223 AR and love it, so depending on what all purpose means, maybe the 223 is the one.

Oh, and I used just about every 223 bullet you can mention, trying to make that 223 into a sure thing pig killer. And I did kill a bunch, but also lost a bunch. The Grendel is better. And the 6.8 SPC has identical ballistics, so it should do fine also.

stagpanther

Two hunters go into a bar.
One says the 6.5 gredel is the best hunting AR cartridge. The other says the 6.8 spc is the best. A huge fight breaks out and the deer in the woods are happy.:D

rickyrick

Yeah, I pig hunted for a rancher on an active cattle ranch at night. I used .223 to minimize exits. This was pretty easy pig hunting as all I had to do is wait amongst the cows until the pigs showed up, usually under a mesquite tree because I didn’t want to get trampled. I fed the cows regularly, so my scent was part of the normal landscape and the cows knew me. Most nights one of the donkeys would hang out with me lol.
I rambled a bit, but the key is shot placement and during that time I had to be very disciplined with my shots, either low just behind the front leg to get the heart or the neck.
My preferred shot location was the neck, which is actually a big target on a pig, I actually used lower weight/higher velocity bullets then. If shooting in the neck didn’t stop them instantly, they never made it far with the eyeballs dangling (sorry to be graphic).

In the end, with .223, shot placement and range matters a little bit more than larger calibers.

If I was to have only one AR15, then .223 is the better option… My opinion only.
But who only has one AR15 anymore? ;)