Best all around cartridge up to 300 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.

LafeHubert

The idea of "all around" is pretty fuzzy. On one hand I've hunted blacktailed deer that were not much heavier than a big Bull Mastiff, and while I used a .30-06, it was serious overkill. On the other hand looking at a bull moose in B.C. will run 600-700 lb and my .30-06 better have a controlled expansion bullet, and I have to be very careful about shot placement. If that moose is an Alaskan, with a weight up to 1,300 lb, then I find myself wishing for a heavier rifle: .338 Win Mag and better. On the gripping hand, if I had to go out for that "all around" critter, I'd grab my favorite '72 Remington 700 .30-06 with the 3x9x40mm Leupold scope, and a couple of boxes of it's favorite load using Hornady 180 gn boattail spitzers. I know I can take down elk with that combo out to 400 yards, because I've done it. In the worst case, if it's that Alaskan Moose, or his Brown Bear neighbor; I'm just going to have to suck it up and put the bullet(s) in the right place.

Good Luck. :)

gb_in_ga

Eh, if you know what you are doing and it is loaded right, you can get it done reliably with a .30-30. Even at that range. Or with a .300 Savage. Or easier with a .308 Winchester. Why would you need more?

Learn to reload -- and thus open yourself up to the full potential of your round.

Learn that round. Know its trajectory at range for your load.

Select a proper bullet. They make premium bullets for a reason.

Practice, practice, practice. There's no substitute for accuracy. Know that a modern designed premium bullet placed correctly will take the game. Yes, that means elk with a .30-30. Think about it -- since an elk is so much larger (and thus, proportionately, the kill zone is so much larger), it is even easier to take one at longer range than it is a smaller animal such as a whitetail at similar ranges. It's a bigger target.

Last edited:

Colt46

6.5 X 55

The Swede can do it all. Best thing about it is shootability. If you can't shoot a swede well then it ain't you. It's the rifle!

T. O'Heir

"...time for another "best of" thread..." Who told you that?
The only deer cartridge that matters is the one that you can consistently hit a 9" pie plate, with a suitable bullet, every time, at 300 yards. If you can't, you have no business taking a shot at that distance.

Wildalaska

The Swede can do it all.

Give the man a prize!

I speet on you thorty oh seex:p

Consider:

85 grainers for Praire Dogs and groundhogs and small things
100-108s for Wolf, small deer,antelope, dik dik
120s for bigger deer and antelope, as well as Match use
129-130s for deer, moose, back bear and people
139-142 for deer, moose, all bears, matchss and people
155-156 for deer, moose, all bears, elephant etc

Beat that you slimy Americans! Eurotrash rules! If it ain't metric, it aint a cartridge.:p

And the 6.5 is easier to shoot.

WildihavepontificatedAlaska TM

moosemike

The 6.5 is only easier to shoot than the 30-06 for some people. I'm not one of them. I've never had a problem shooting 30-06's at the range or in the field. Far too much is made of the 06's recoil.

TX Hunter

3006 Springfield.
I bet more rifle cartridges have been compared to that round than any other!
Its here to stay.

James R. Burke

Just myself the 30-06. My wife has a .243 I reload for both of them, and that would probably do it also. With either rifle it always comes down to good shot placement no matter what your shooting caliber wise. I use to wonder a little bit on the .243 but since my wife has one it gave me awhole differnt out look on it. She shot at two and dropped them both. One buck double lung pass thru, and filled a doe permit with a neck shot. She let a few other nicer bucks go buy, because she was afraid of not getting good placement. One was real nice. But I told her she done the correct thing, and that I was proud of her for leaving it go. But like I said mine is the 30-06, and thats just myself. We all have our favorites for many reasons.

taylorce1

3006 Springfield.
I bet more rifle cartridges have been compared to that round than any other!
Its here to stay.

Only in this country, I'll bet a lot of things get compared to other cartridges outside of the United States.

Last edited:

freakshow10mm

Yup, other cartridges like the 8x57 Mauser which inspired the development of both the .30-40 Krag and the .30-03, and later revision resulting in the .30-'06 are very popular outside the US and are the cartridge measured. Europeans know full well the 8x57 Mauser outperforms the .30-'06 Springfield in just about every respect, a feat most American shooters are too reluctant to concede their beloved cartridge to another.

kaylorinhi

Best?

Fine, for all the Euro's, 7.92x57, 7.62x51, 7.62x63, 7.62x54R and 7.7x58, wait these calibers all completed at various times and places before? Sorry had too!

Mike

Bonus to the guy who has taken an Elk with the last choice!

Flatbush Harry

I don't hunt small white tail and moose at the same time. I would opt for a .25-06 for the former and a .30-06 for the latter. If I don't know what I'll find when I'm in Elk country, I'd go with a .30-06. If I can't handle it (whatever "it" is) with a .30-06 (or even 4 rds of .30-06), my problem is not the ammo.

FH

Status
Not open for further replies.