Best all around cartridge up to 300 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTS1

Well time for another "best of" thread. Title says it all. What do you consider the best all around cartridge for shots from 50 to 300 yards (about 98% of all hunting shots) for small white-tailed deer to Elk/Moose? Let's try and keep super-duper magnums out because yes, I know they will work in those parameters, but are not needed.

dsa1115

you know it's all subjective. There are so many excellent cartridges, and a lot of very good all round cartridges. But in terms of flexibility and availabilty, the 30-06 is tough to beat.

wingman

If I picked a rifle for deer out to 300 it would be the 243, I have complete faith in the round and it accuracy.

mikejonestkd

For deer hunting out to 300 yards the perfect range of cartridges would be anything between and including the .243 win and the .7mm-08 rem, including the 6mm rem, .250 savage, .257 roberts, the 6.5MS, the 6.5 swede, and the .260 rem. All are mild to shoot and hit hard enough for deer at the range discussed.

Throw elk and moose into the game then I would consider the .270 win, the .280 rem and the .30-06 all loaded with controlled expansion bullets to each be excellent.

taylorce1

+1 for .30-06

However, I wouldn't be afraid to use anything from .270 on up to .35 Whelen at 300 yards. Since you threw in elk and moose even though a .30-06 would work, I'd be happier lugging around my .338-06 or .35 Whelen. If you don't roll your own then the .30-06 is the better choice.

Last edited:

jmr40

At those ranges most anything from 7mm-08 up to the 338-06 are really pretty close. You can make an argument that some of the bigger rounds give a little extra insurance when shooting at angles, but put a good bullet from any into the vitals and the end result is the same.

I'd pick the rifle I liked and worry less about the cartridge. I use both 308 and 30-06 because I own rifles in those calibers I like. I'd be just as comfortable using any of about a dozen other cartridges.

FrankenMauser

.30-40 Krag
.303 British
7.62x54R
7x57mm
.257 Roberts
8x57JS

If you're only shooting to 300 yards, even the venerable '06 is overkill. The classic "intermediate" cartridges will perform admirably. The ones capable of "heavy and slow" loads will do even better (massive projectile, low velocity).

If you want something a little more modern....

7mm-08
.308 Win
.358 Win
.338 Federal
The list goes on....

Nothing is "best". Even the '06 has its shortcomings, such as: more recoil than some shooters can handle, too much velocity for close shots (especially on lighter game), inability to handle some heavier projectiles (unless single-loaded), and some shooters wont appreciate the extra weight of a long action.

I'm not offering it as an option, but the choice I made for an all-around cartridge was .270 Winchester. However, the conditions I hunt in, and species I hunt, dictate longer shots. I needed an '06-class cartridge with a little more reach, but not necessarily a heavy projectile (130s are great). Bullets are very carefully selected for each intended use.

Scorch

Pick one. Any cartridge that will launch a 150-200 gr bullet at 2,400 to 2,800 fps is a good choice. If you start naming them, you will compile a list of the great cartridges of the world: 7X57, 270, 280, 300 Savage, 308, 30-06, 8X57, 9.3X62, 35 Whelen, etc.

Smaller bores shoot flat and can kill very well, but may be challenged a bit when used on game much larger than deer, larger bores have no problem with heavier animals, but may not work so well for smaller game.

srkavanagh6621

I got a .308 which might be a little small for the elk and moose but out to three hundred yards on deer would be easy! And I think the best rifle you can get is the one your most comfortable with getting the bullet to go where you want it to!

PTS1

I was thinking the good ol' 308 would be about the best all around. However, for the elk and moose, the 338 federal looks pretty good. 210 grain partitions at 2600 fps for the big stuff (even bears) and 160 grain tipped TSX for the deer. I know it is a little heavy for the small southern deer, but I think for the wide range covered by the 338fed, it is a great all around cartridge for North America under 300 yards and a real sleeper.

Bigjfb

Whatever one you don't have yet.

"Baby, it's the best all around cartridge. The internet doesn't lie. I can't believe ive gone all these years without one. If you let me get this, I'll let you get some more of those shoes you like on QVC. Deal?"

Pathfinder45

Only 2 or 3 to consider.

The very best choice is a pretty much dead-even tie between .30-'06 Springfield or .270 Winchester. They both beat .308 Winchester; which is the next-best choice. There are plenty of other cartridges that will perform just as well as these three. But you had best not overlook price, availability and variety of ammo even if you are a reloader. The .243 Winchester and .30-30 also have widespread popularity but they are not in the same class as our first three.

L_Killkenny

7mm-08, 260 or 6.5 swede. Maybe even a .308.

Anything bigger???????????????????? Mother always said if I couldn't say anything nice......................

LK

freakshow10mm

6.5x55, 7mm-08, or .308 would be my choices. The added performance of the .30-'06 over the .308 isn't worth the additional recoil for the gained kinetic energy and meaningless drop differential at 300y. The three mentioned above will cleanly kill elk inside 300y if the shooter does their part. All three will recoil much less than the .30-'06 and kill just as well.

JAG06

+1 for .30-06, for the range of loads and projectiles. It has taken everything in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.