Best 9mm service style pistol?

Uncle Malice

The SR9 was developed around the 40s&w?? Didn't the SR40 come out like 4 years after the SR9? You would think if it was developed around the cartridge, it would have been released first, or at least in sync - as the M&P was.

LockedBreech

The SR9 was developed around the 40s&w?? Didn't the SR40 come out like 4 years after the SR9? You would think if it was developed around the cartridge, it would have been released first, or at least in sync - as the M&P was.

I don't know about the Ruger, but Beretta designed the Nano around .40 and still has not released the .40 version.

I can't imagine why though. I agree that contemporaneous release makes the most since, like the M&P, PX4, FNS, etc.

57k...I disagree. I'll research more when I get home tonight.

I highly doubt Ruger said so before Hk.

You can doubt all you want. The USP was introduced in 1994 in .40 S&W. 9mm a year or so later. I bought a Ruger P-85 MkII in 1991 and it was definitely rated +P+. Here's what Ruger says in my SR9 instruction manual: "No 9mm Parabellum or .40 S&W ammuntion manufactured in accordance with NATO, US, SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

Uncle Malice, you might want to check with Ruger. There was little if any time lag between the introduction of the SR9 and SR40. I think you're confusing this with the SR45. ;)

Uncle Malice

Uncle Malice, you might want to check with Ruger. There was little if any time lag between the introduction of the SR9 and SR40. I think you're confusing this with the SR45. ;)

Oh. Hrm.... Weird.
The Ruger SR9 chambered for the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge was introduced in October 2007. [...] The Ruger SR40 chambered for the .40 S&W cartridge came out in October 2010.

Sorry, 3 years apart... ;)

I think it's also important to note that Ruger has precisely ZERO warranty. I admit that they do generally take care of their customers should there be any issues, but explicitly having no warranty is a bit unnerving.

LockedBreech

That's because the .40S&W is a trolling round among handgun cartridges.

I don't understand what you mean by "trolling" round. It's the first choice of myself and thousands of others, the distaste of the Internet shooting community notwithstanding.

Very much not trying to turn this into a caliber war, I just don't follow your post.

Okay, Thanks. I'll add another quote and a couple of observations on my SR9. I do not own an SR40.

The SR40 is built on the same high-performance glass-filled nylon frame as the SR9, offering all the great ergonomic features that made the SR9 a success: a slim, narrow frame with a short trigger reach, reversible backstrap for an arched or flat configuration, and fully ambidextrous controls. The through-hardened, stainless steel slide on the SR40 is .060" wider than that of the SR9; the added mass of the slide reduces slide velocity during cycling, reducing recoil and improving service life.

The barrel in my SR9 is thick enough that it may have the same O.D. as the .40 barrel. The slide is .06" wider than the SR9s and the recoil spring is 22# rather than 18#. That's it. All things that could have been accounted for in the SR9's design and Ruger obviously knew that there would be a .40 version and the frames are identical. My opinion anyway. I just don't see Ruger overlooking the .40 when they designed the SR9 and the only real difference is a .06" wider slide and heavier recoil spring in the SR40 along with the larger bore in the barrel as best I can tell. Could be that the 9mm recall issues set them back on the initial production run of the SR40 as well. As far as the compacts, the schedule makes sense because the 9mm is the more popular round and they would want it on the market first. ;)

Sgt127

Until you get hired, don't worry about a duty gun. They will either give you one or tell you what you can carry.

Don't worry about getting a leg up for firearms training, it's usually easier to teach someone that doesn't know anything rather than someone who already "knows" what to do. Saves a lot of time untraining them. But, if you already enjoy shooting, have at it. It will neither help you, nor hurt you in the hiring process, unless you come off as a gun nut. (I am, I hid it well)

Remember, it's not practice that makes perfect. It's perfect practice that makes perfect.

Your Beretta is honestly one of the most tested and used guns in US military history. It's a perfectly good gun. It doesn't fit my hands very well, but, that's my problem. If I had to carry one, I would be happy.

Slow down, don't sweat the little crap right now and, get hired. Been there, done that for almost 30 years.

IdahoG36

For me, it is the Springfield XD-9. I shoot it well, and it is 100% reliable. Those are the two most important things that a SD gun must do IMO.

My XD-9 slide is currently sent off to have a set of Meprolights installed.

After seeing the various torture test videos out there involving the XD, I know it can take anything that I can dish out, because it won't be anywhere near as harsh as the test videos:D

DSCN0965_zpsfa253219.jpg

DubC-Hicks

Sgt127, I'm trying not to learn the wrong way. I actually went to the local PD and asked if I can go shoot with them on their range days. They said ok, so hopefully I'll be learning all the proper stuff. But I've been shooting since I was a little kid, so chances are I've already learned wrong anyway.

eviltravis

I've shot a great many pistols over the years. My tastes have evolved over time. I think a person would do well with a Glock, or an HK without question, but right now there is a Walther PPQ in my holster. (Original version) I carried a P99 for years, so the PPQ was easy to adapt to. Really easy! The grip fits my hand better than the P99. I still shoot my other pistols. I even carry them sometimes when I'm in the mood for something different. I find that most of the time when I just want something that works and shoots well, I grab the Walther.

ET

DubC-Hicks

IThjJ2n

Hopefully the pic worked. I'm on my phone so its a pain.

I had enough time to pick up the pistol from the ffl and shoot it a couple times. This was at 15 yards, not bad for me.

DubC-Hicks

And must say, I'm not impressed with the case it came with. When the ffl owner opened the box, he slid out the plastic case. Well, the little plastic flap "hinge" was so worn out that it tore, sprung open, and flung the pistol to the table. Only like a 2 foot drop, but the finish on the bottom of the slide at the end of the barrel has a nice gouge in it now. :( Covered it up a little with a Birchwood Casey's paint pen, but wasn't really happy.

But I realize its the military version, so packaging is probably super cheap.