Best 38spl +p self defense ammo ?

dogtown tom

Skippy Full wadcutters in snubs are all the rage now because HP ammo doesn't reliably expand from short barrel revolvers.
Huh?
"all the rage now" by who?:confused:

Even if the HP doesn't expand.......we know wadcutters are even LESS LIKELY to do so.

In the '70's, it was popular for gun rags to promote 148gr wadcutter loaded backwards to make a giant hollow point. That wasn't any better than those loaded normally.
If that had been a better load, every ammo maker would have jumped on the bandwagon.....they didn't.

Skippy

I've read several recent articles concerning wadcutters for self defense. None say, nor do I, they are the elusive magic bullet, but from a 2" barrel HPs rarely open up. Wadcutters don't either but they punch a more damaging hole than a pointy bullet. And followup shots are quicker.

Here's one; google if you want to see more articles:
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/wadcutter-ammo-self-defense/

WmMunny

Looking for a good quality SD 38spl +p ammo for a snub nose 38 . I have some good ideas about other cartridges but have very little experience with 38spl .

Id like what you think is good and why .
My opinion is the best load is whichever one you can consistently double-tap a tight group center mass up to about seven yards away...

Mannlicher

I am still carrying a Speer 146 grain LSWCHP over a stiff charge of SR4756 powder. It performs, and I see no reason to change up now after 40+ years

Metal god

I bought some Fed 130gr +p punch ammo . Went to range on Friday and never got off the rifle range . I never tried them out . I had went to the gun show expecting to find any and all ammo I was looking for but did not . The punch was the only 38spl +p ammo I found that was on my list .

Bought some 9mm gold dot and Win Ranger ammo as well . Had plans on testing all that new ammo on Friday but was having to much fun on the 300yd rifle range to pack up and move a couple hundred yards up the hill to the pistol range . Next I guess .

SnubbyMan

I'm currently carrying 158 gr LSWCHP +P Buffalo Bore in my K-frame .38 Spls. And Speer 135 gr. Gold Dot short barrel +Ps in my Airweights.

Brian48

This is what I use as well. Buffalo Bore or Underwood 158gr LSWCHP +P in my 2.5" SW M19. Speer 130gr JHP short barrel +P in my SW M60.

Sgt127

I have most of a case of Winchester .38 Special 158 GR semi wadcutters. If I carry a .38, that’s what’s in it.

I doubt it will expand. Might deform a little. But, I feel good that it will at least go in deep enough to hit important stuff.

jrothWA

For my J-frames, I have used the Hornady 140 gr XTP's , they no longer make.
For the 2"-inchers and 4" barrels, it was always POA was POI.

Viewed a U-tube video where the presenter he was using .32S&W-L, and used OTC ammo,
it was surprising to see the .32 S&W Long wadcutter exceeded the 12" FBI penetration.

Road_Clam

When you seek personal defensive training you will be advised to NOT use "+p" for your defensive carry ammo. If you are involved in a defensive situation that ended by you ceasing a threat , guarenteed you will face civil liability. A caniving plaintiff attorney will absolutely try to elevate the "defendant" to a "killer" because he "felt the need" to arm himself with optional "higher velocity" ammo. You do whatever you want but just something to think about .

trophyrider

When you seek personal defensive training you will be advised to NOT use "+p" for your defensive carry ammo. If you are involved in a defensive situation that ended by you ceasing a threat , guarenteed you will face civil liability. A caniving plaintiff attorney will absolutely try to elevate the "defendant" to a "killer" because he "felt the need" to arm himself with optional "higher velocity" ammo. You do whatever you want but just something to think about .

Please cite a case where that has happened.

Last edited:

Sunfish

Lucky Gunner Labs

Although not ALL ammo is tested at above labs on line
it has been my go-to for details and the ability to sort the results according to my preferences.

Everyone has a preference or a boss telling them what to use but ... based upon what?

You'll also find results based upon barrel length ... very important to outcomes, especially for the 357mag caliber.

Sgt127

I bought a case of 158 gr lead semiwadcutter a few years ago. If I’m carrying a .38. That’s what’s in it.

It’s a bullet out of a snub. Expansion is questionable. At least, poke a hole as deep as you can.

BandeauRouge

Any time I've seen test results using actual vintage ammo shot and compared to modern ammo in the same guns, it shows that both are loaded pretty much the same.

As nearly as I can tell, the idea that modern ammo is watered down comes from a combination of things:

1. Confusion about the changeover from CUP to PSI pressure measurements.

2. The fact that SAAMI gradually convinced ammo manufacturers (starting in 1977) to change their velocity measurements for revolver ammunition from being measured in long unvented test barrels to vented test barrels with lengths that corresponded better to the barrel lengths people were actually buying and using.

3. The fact that chronographs became very common and that made it more difficult for ammunition manufacturers to get creative with their velocity specifications.

More information about #2.
This is an interesting catalog from 1977. On page 37, Remington discusses their changeover to using 4" vented test barrels for their revolver data and you can see that in some cases, they publish both data sets for comparison. In some cases, you can see that velocities apparently dropped by 300fps or more simply because they were measured more realistically.
http://cartridgecollectors.org/content/catalogs/REMINGTON/1977-Rem-DuPont-Retail%20Catalog.pdf
a vented test barrel doesnt always create a linear reason as to why a given load could experience a 200 fps velocity drop in the loading manual.

There online pundits who managed to deduce from publications that certain ammunition like 38 smith and wesson was watered down due to low quality break tops.

JohnKSa

Administrator
a vented test barrel doesnt always create a linear reason as to why a given load could experience a 200 fps velocity drop in the loading manual.
It's not just the venting, it's also the fact that the testing was standardized in a 4" barrel instead of the much longer test barrels that were commonly used in older test results.

The tests with vintage ammo compared to modern loadings has, in every test I've ever seen the results for, showed that the apparent differences were simply the result of changes in how velocity was commonly measured, not due to an actual change in the ammunition.

And, in addition to the tests, we have the Remington ammo catalog from the timeframe of the changeover explaining exactly what happened--and showing the results of measurements done the old and new way. With differences that are generally in the ballpark of 200fps.

As Remington says, and underlines for emphasis: "Although values are quite different, the ammunition is absolutely unchanged."
There online pundits who managed to deduce from publications that certain ammunition like 38 smith and wesson was watered down due to low quality break tops.
Over the years, SAAMI has altered the standards for a very few "quasi-obsolete" cartridges to avoid incidents with commonly encountered vintage firearms of dubious strength or quality. That's a very different situation.

Drm50

38sp Super Police

I got some 200gr lead Winchester 38sp. It use to be called super police. That’s what I got stoked in my cruz’n piece a m36 S&W. I know a bunch of the foil hat club says they shot clear through and endanger innocents. Other half says they might bounce back and hit you. Both may be true but at SD ranges the tin foil hat ain’t going to save you.

BandeauRouge

Smith and Wesson used to say full size revolvers could safely fire small amounts of 38/44 ammunition, now these guns are "only fire with regular 38 special ammunition".

Then you have guns like the Armscor 38 special revolvers that are ONLY safe to fire with Armscor produced ammunition of max 158 grain fmj at a max 850 FPS if you read the manual pdf in a literal translation.

Alot of companies have been making low end revolvers these days, the taurus 856 is the most talked about on the smith forum as being "beefy enough for elmer keith load data".