bersa

Rifleman1952

The SCCY is a very good inexpensive (not cheap) gun. And I've thought about purchasing one myself. Shoot the Bersa Thunder with the DA/SA trigger pull and compare it to the SCCY with it's DAO trigger pull before making your decision.

A Ford car salesman told me once that "these cars are made in a factory, not in Heaven." And really that is the case for any product built in a production facility. It is possible to just get a bad one. I had many of the same troubles with a Kahr CW45 that lamarw had with his Bersa. I've also heard of folks having problems with high end Kimbers.

Currently, Bersas have a lifetime warranty and there are five authorized repair centers across the US. In addition, all Gander Mountains that have a gunsmith (not all do) will also do warranty work for Bersa.

lamarw

^^^ I agree. It is good to hear they have more authorized repair centers; although this is what I described as not a factory repair center. It is also good to hear Gander Mountain can do the work.

The Bersa warranty only applies to the original owner (hope I am right on this point). SCCY warrants their pistols for the life of the pistol no matter how many owners and a no questions asked factory repair.

The negative about SCCY is the limited choice of calibers and models.

Rifleman1952

The Bersa warranty only applies to the original owner (hope I am right on this point). SCCY warrants their pistols for the life of the pistol no matter how many owners and a no questions asked factory repair.

You are correct.

The negative about SCCY is the limited choice of calibers and models.

I don't want to hijack this thread and make it into a SCCY thread, but I agree there is no question that SCCY is a real "up and comer" in the handgun market.
I suspect they will have many new caliber offerings in the future (I understand they just came out with a .380 version, which is probably more comfortable to shoot in a handgun weighing 15 ozs).

The long and the short of it is, that I don't think a person in the market for an economical concealed carry handgun can go wrong with a Bersa or SCCY.

UtahHunting

We have owned a Bersa 380 for about 8 years now. I just bought a second 380 last week. I have put over 1k rounds through my original and I can't think of a single time where it has malfunctioned. It is a great pistol and my wife's daily carry gun. The blowback design is super easy to shoot.

michael t

Isn't SCCY using Taurus to handel their warranty. That just makes me feel warm all over :rolleyes: I sent my PT22 to them 2 times for light strikes
1st time polished feed ramp still lite strikes 2nd time another polish job and replaced the grips Great still didn't shoot. Dealer refunded and I bought a Beretta 21 in 22LR . Works fine No more Taurus.

I have never knowed Bersa owner denied because a 2nd owner . As long as wasn't something the owned did tinkering. .

Rented one at Range USA in Bartlett TN, maybe two years ago. Really fun gun with nice, smooth Da and SA trigger.
Almost all of the Bersa comments I've seen at THR are positive.

Just a suggestion: have you checked into the commercial Russian Makarovs in .380 Auto (some are 9x18), or the military Maks in 9x18? Actual Maks are Russ., EG, Bulgy or Chinese.
The DA triggers are a bit heavier than that Bersa, but all Maks are very Rugged and Reliable.

Last edited:

peggysue

MichelT. SCCY is NOT using Taurus to market their guns. Diamond Back was however they are no longer using Taurus.
SCCY has excellent customer service.

Auto5

I was shopping for a carry pistol and had pretty much decided on a Kahr CW9 when I came accross the Bersa BP9CC. Roughly the same size as the Kahr, but it holds one more round and comes with two magazines. The trigger pull is also lighter and has a short reset.
When I got it, the magazine release was so stiff that it took two hands to operate. I spent about an hour inserting and releasing the magazine while watching tv (much to my wife's annoyance) until it loosened up. It jammed frequently for the first couple off magazines, but by the third mag it had smoothed out and fed everything flawlessly. The pistol is thin, reliable and accurate.
I carried mine for awhile, but eventually sold it just because I've never gotten used to the idea of carrying a semi auto that doesnt have a manual safety. No fault of the gun, that's just me. The BP9CC is an excellent ccw.

Ibmikey

Agree on A+ customer service ar SCCY, Super good shooting (but a bit blustery) . I purchased a Bersa .22 a couple of years ago and have yet to have it fire a full mag without malfunction...someday I will fix it or send it to Bersa for repairs. Yes I did use a different mag and other "fixes" that normally work but did not. No big deal I have about twenty .22 cal pistols that I shoot all the time. I would imagine my Bersa is the exception, however, for a .380 or 9mm the Sig P 238/938 cannot be beat (even have a .22 conversion for the 938).

qwiksdraw

MichaelT: The only thing SCCY and Taurus (USA) has in common is they are both based in the Miami, Florida area.

Chadk

I have one of the older bersa .380's called the Model 95 i believe. I was just cleaning it and found the original receipt for $189.00.

Have always been impressed with the attributes of such an inexpensive gun. My 95 has some nice adjustable sights on it, Decocker, and the SA/DA trigger is nice too. Can carry with one in the pipe, safty on, and hammer down.
seems extremely safe to me.
I HAVE always had one certain issue with the gun. There has always seemed to be what I'd call a "burr" on the slide rail somewhere. As the slide is returning into battery, there seems to be a burr or hill it struggles to climb over. This would sometimes leave the slide just out of battery requiring a push with your thumb to help it over the burr and close the slide...
Not feeling 100% good I just shelfed the gun for probably a decade.
I recently took it out to the range to see how she ran. I was very pleased with flawless operation at the range and the gun has moved back into it's old home as my all the time "truck gun"... I'm not going to have a panic attack if it were to get stolen.

I like my Bersa allot..

Now I was not familiar with SCCY prior to this thread and consider myself somewhat upto speed on handguns. Man those are some colorful little guys arent they. I havent investigated their price point yet, but I'm thinking they are very similar to the Kel Tek's and Diamond Backs.

Rifleman1952

The SCCYs also have a double stack magazine making their grips quite a bit fatter than either of the single stack mags in the Bersa Thunder or BP series. If you are looking for a thinner profile for concealed carry, I'd definitely go with the Bersa single stacks. The SCCY feels, in my hand, more like a Glock 26, fat & blocky.

jstert

i like everything about my bersa thunder 380 except the bloody bite it takes out of the web of my shooting hand after about 30 rounds. it is now buried in my safe.

Northrider

I am very happy with my BT .380. I had my father in law check mine out and he liked it so much he got one, then a year later got the Thunder in .22lr as well. They are comfortable in the hand, carry easily, are accurate and will not break your wallet. As their popularity increases, I fear the prices will climb. Glad I got mine when I did. I don't think you can go wrong with them. We have had no issues with ours and I reload and it shoots anything I have reloaded as well as it does factory rounds.

GoPappy

I've got a Bersa Thunder Pro 9 UC that I bought recently, and it has been a pleasure to shoot.

I've probably only put 250 rounds through it, but it has been completely reliable with everything except that cheap, sorry Tula ammo. I had one failure to feed with that stuff, but that was when I was shooting one-handed with my weak hand, so it may have been due to limp wristing it.

sigxder

Had both the .380 and .22 versions. Both were accurate and very reliable. Wouldn't have any hesitation at getting one.