Beretta Cheetah model 81 .32acp

JERRYS.

Midway USA is selling these guns and has 12 round magazines available for them. I came close to buying one and a spare mag but decided against it. But you all are making me rethink this.:D
get one. its a great gun for recoil sensitive folks or those that just like quality at a low price (for now). I see that Beretta still makes this gun with the squared trigger guard and 3 dot sights, still in .32 acp. I went to the fobus web site and they don't have any holsters for this gun. I want something inexpensive for the range but not the el cheapo bulky nylon stuff.

Metric

They are a great bargain, and I intend to do more shooting with mine -- just made a decent ammo purchase.

One thing I will say is that I'm not too impressed with the plastic factory grips from 1980. They don't look so hot, they're slick, and they make for a fat grip that doesn't index very well. IMO.

I bought some Altamont wood grips. They look a lot better (to me anyway), and the grip shape conforms better to my hand and indexes better. But they are still fat -- in fact fatter than the factory ones. They work, but they feel a bit odd, in the sense that this is designed to be a small, sleek, concealed carry pistol, but it has this huge grip.

Just yesterday I put a set of LOK G10 grips on one of mine. What an incredible difference. Transforms the grip to what could be the best overall feel on any pistol I have -- I'm CCing it today in a Fist holster, as a result. Aggressive grip texture, and super-thin -- the pistol feels almost like a well-made single-stack now. Looks good too, in that modern G10 sort of way.

Metric

I like Fiocchi FMJ as well, it's fairly hot euro-spec stuff. I couldn't find any in bulk at the right price either, so I placed an order for a case of Geco FMJ at sgammo. Same bullet weight at a similar velocity, if I understand correctly. Haven't shot the Geco in .32 yet, but have found it acceptable in 9mm.

jar

I like Fiocchi FMJ as well, it's fairly hot euro-spec stuff. I couldn't find any in bulk at the right price either, so I placed an order for a case of Geco FMJ at sgammo. Same bullet weight at a similar velocity, if I understand correctly. Haven't shot the Geco in .32 yet, but have found it acceptable in 9mm.
Geco is my GoTo 32acp ammo. I have had absolutely no issues with it in even my older more experienced 100 Year Old and older pistols.

ThomasT

One thing I will say is that I'm not too impressed with the plastic factory grips from 1980. They don't look so hot, they're slick, and they make for a fat grip that doesn't index very well. IMO.

I bought some Altamont wood grips. They look a lot better (to me anyway), and the grip shape conforms better to my hand and indexes better. But they are still fat -- in fact fatter than the factory ones. They work, but they feel a bit odd, in the sense that this is designed to be a small, sleek, concealed carry pistol, but it has this huge grip.

Thats been my impression with nearly every Beretta I have ever handled. They all had Kardashian Booties. Fat butt syndrome.

GaryED50

Just bought one yesterday from midway USA. it should arrive at my Local LGS Monday so i can do the background check.... then its mine YAY!!!

Gary

Nakanokalronin

I bought my 81B when they started being imported again. If you buy a .380 barrel and magazine you can shoot both calibers since everything else is the same between the two models including the recoil spring.

JFritz

I love my 81. Bought it from Classic for $200 or so. Great condition and nice shooter. I like the 32 caliber a lot. It is great to shoot.

Metric

I got back from a plinking expedition to the desert, earlier today. Reminded myself of how much I like these 81's. Bagged a bunch of clay pigeons, numerous old cans, and one lizard. Distances from ~5 yards out to ~50.

I have two of these 81's. At an earlier trip to an indoor range (during the winter), I discovered from a benchrest that one of them had unreasonably good accuracy with perfect regulation. The other one was more typical for a pistol this size.

Although the sights are small, they are quite good for high-precision shooting, due to the relative size of the front sight and rear notch. This makes it great for plinking at longer range outdoors.

I had not done much with them for a while, due to being a bit turned off by the "fat grip syndrome" mentioned above. The LOK grips made me want to give it another try, and I'm glad I did. I'm going to have to EDC this thing for a while -- the speed and accuracy is confidence-inspiring, and the manual safety without decocker allow pure SA operation (consistent trigger pull).

I did encounter one malfunction, with my only box of 71 grain Aguila FMJ, which is a pretty weak load. The shot generated a slightly less-than-full cycle, resulting in something like a stovepipe. Recall that these 81's have the same recoil spring as the model 84 in .380. So in .32, they are going to like the hot stuff. I had no problem with Winchester (also quite weak) and Fiocchi (hotter).

I am thinking about getting one of these hard chromed by Mahovsky's. Any thoughts on this idea? I've never had anything hard chromed before.

Last edited:

Ibmikey

Metric, I had a Hi Power and a Star DK plated with Metalife from Mahovsky and both turned out great, the finish is virtually indestructible. I put checkered grips from Grips 4 U on my 81 and like them better than the factory set on my 84.

Metric

Thanks, mikey -- people definitely seem to like it. Any thoughts about how the chrome would hold up on an aluminum frame?

GaryED50

Finally picked it up today. Beautiful condition for a "Used" pistol!!
Can't wait to take it to the range.

IMG-0285.png

Metric

That's a beauty, and will also handle a little touch-up with cold blue around the edges quite well, if you choose to. I enjoy looking at the Beretta finish in sunlight. The contrast between the blue steel and the black aluminum (as well as plum high-hardness parts) is almost hypnotic, and difficult to find on a mass-produced pistol these days. The graceful curves add to the effect.

GaryED50

There is a unique wear pattern on the front of the grip, the finish has been rubbed off but the metal is still smooth as glass.

IMG-0289.png

Metric

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black can help with wear spots on the frame. It's not a super-durable finish, but it does help.

Mine also has some nicks around the front of the grip. My guess is that it has something to do with rings being popular man-jewelry in Italy, at least in the early 80's.