Being a Sig owner made me appreciate Glocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK103K

I suppose it depends on what was beat into your head. Just like the mag release. A lot of people seem anal about reaching it without moving their grip.

Although I can see it being more of an issue with the decocker, as I would still decock the gun at the first opportunity after shooting when I felt it was prudent.

Ive seen more than one person reholster a "cocked" gun that should have been decocked first. Mag releases dont tend to discharge the gun unexpectedly.

AK103K

Because it's become common knowledge that do-hickeys like decockers and safeties are far too complicated to have on firearms.
Its not that they are complicated, its lack of training and ingrained responses, especially under stress that they can become an issue.

As long as you are familar with the gun you are using, it shouldnt be a problem, safety, decocker, or not.

All those GIs with 1911s died because they forgot to take off the safety
That all depends if they in fact had a loaded gun in the first place. The generation of GI's with 1911's Im familiar with, generally carried their 1911's in condition 3, as was the mandate.

I carried a 1911 in condition 1 for over 25 years, and never had the issue. Ive carried SIG's, HK's, Walthers, Glocks, and a couple of others over the years, and never had any issue with any of them either. Its generally not the gun thats the issue, when there is an issue.

Walt Sherrill

Every time I used the de-cocker, I had to shift my grip.

If you're decocking, you're probably preparing to holster your weapon or make it NOT READY in some way -- and you'll probably be changing your grip regardless.

There are a lot of reasons to complain about a gun, and I personally don't like decockers, but a complaint about having to change one's grip when decocking seems a bit like "straining at a gnat."

Maybe this is just a TROLL-like comment to stir up those who have fallen asleep.

Will Beararms

No trolling. No caliber war fodder. No sarcasm. Started with Glock. Went to Sig. Came back to Glock. 'Like the simplicity. 'Like the streamlined controls. 'Like the low bore axis. 'Like one trigger pull. 'Like trigger reset.

Worc

Pretty silly thread. I'm not so sure if you have to adjust your grip to decock is really a bad thing. Doing so, your trigger finger is more than likely exiting the trigger guard.

Maybe you should have tried the the E2 grip if you don't want to shift your grip when decocking.

I've never had to adjust my grip to decock my 226 with any grip that was installed. Decocking it left handed requires a grip shift. Again, I don't see it as an issue at all.

I like ezmiraldo's post much better!

Walt Sherrill

Will Beararms said:
No trolling. No caliber war fodder. No sarcasm. Started with Glock. Went to Sig. Came back to Glock. 'Like the simplicity. 'Like the streamlined controls. 'Like the low bore axis. 'Like one trigger pull. 'Like trigger reset.

I agree with all of those comments. But what has any of that to do with having to change your grip to decock? Decocking suggests you're taking the gun from a ready to a not-ready state. Why does changing your grip matter if you're not going to continue firing?

I don't like decockers, either. I have a couple of SIGS, two of which don't have decockers; I only have two Glocks at the moment. I like the SIG triggers better, but have no problems with the Glocks.

Will Beararms

Silly thread? My finger is out of the trigger guard unless I am dead sure I want to destroy something de-cocker or no de-cocker. I had the opposite experience of the other poster. Now the first thing I look at on any handgun are the "buttons". I am into a simple manual of arms. Truly this not meant to stir the pot, my skills are without peer in that area but the intention here is to see who else feels more proficient with very little manipulation to render the pistol back to safe mode after it is determined the threat is gone or there are not more objects to poke holes through. I have medium size hands. All I want to do is out the trigger finger on the frame perpendicular to the trigger and re-holster. Is that silly I ask you?

mavracer

All I want to do is out the trigger finger on the frame perpendicular to the trigger and re-holster. Is that silly I ask you?

Well concidering that realisticly you are just as safe doing that with any firearm as you are a Glock, yes I think it's a pretty silly argument.

And AK103K the term is Glock leg;)

Will Beararms

Here's another angle, in the increasingly lawless society we live in, I am the token redneck in a bedroom community within a 5 Million person metroplex. As such, I am often consulted by Yuppies wanting to procure a handgun.

Despite some of the bravo Sierra I publish here, safety is something i take very seriously. I suggest that all neophytes start with revolvers but if they insist on a Semi, my first recommendation is the Sig 250 Compact 9mm. If they want to spend more, I suggest the M&P 9 or Glock 17. It's so much more easy for me to teach them with a simpler manual of arms.

Hey I like quick and simple. I see no reason why a perfectly healthy male should take more than ten minutes to perform the three S's. YMMV.

AK103K

Decocking suggests you're taking the gun from a ready to a not-ready state.
Thats not necessarily the case. Decocking, simply puts the gun into a "safer" mode. The gun is still instantly ready, with a simple trigger stroke, but less likely to discharge unintentionally, especially if you are distracted.

I know its just a management issue, but its still one all the same, and something you dont normally have with guns that dont have a decocker or manual safety and are in the same state all along.

The Glock and some of the others, have one basic manual of arms, the DA SIG's have variations that require you to be paying a bit more attention and address things as the need arises or situation dictates.

Walt Sherrill

I don't think your expanded argument is silly, but your original complaint -- about having to change your grip to activate the decocker -- probably was. As you wrote it, your original comments could suggest that had your SIG's decocker lever not required a grip change, you wouldn't have posted. We had to read several responses to find that your real complaint wasn't about about grip changes at all. You just like simple, easy-to-use guns.

Nothing wrong with liking simple, easy-to-use guns. But why beat around the bush?

Question: Does your dislike of complexity or extra levers mean that you avoid nice Single Action guns with safety levers and/or grip safeties?

Will Beararms

Yes....but....for two decades, I was a Guhmit Guy. I believe they are a marvelous platform for the .45 (5") and are less susceptible to limp wristing. Recoil to me anyway is a non issue. However, I will not discuss the 1911 with a neophyte. I believe
the 1911 is best for two training scenarios----full blown immersion as in boot camp or gradual progression. They are not a good choice for the 45 year old yuppie who in the midst of his mid life thing is experimenting with the first handgun.

Walt Sherrill

Walt Sherrill said:
Decocking suggests you're taking the gun from a ready to a not-ready state.

AK103K said:
Thats not necessarily the case. Decocking, simply puts the gun into a "safer" mode. The gun is still instantly ready, with a simple trigger stroke, but less likely to discharge unintentionally, especially if you are distracted.

You focus on the change of safety status, but ignore WHY a change of safety status is necessary. Using the decocker DOES make the gun more safe. (But I felt that implicit point was clear -- why else would someone DE-cock a cocked weapon?) Perhaps I should have stated it differently, but the point is still the same: you don't decock if you are facing a threat.

Your response also overlooks the fact that moving to that "safer" mode generally complicates the trigger stroke, making it longer and heavier. While the decocked weapon is still READY to fire, it's not AS READY as was the case before decocking. While the gun is "instantly ready" to be used, the results might not be the same.

Two shots rapidly fired from the cocked state are likely to get different results than two shots fired after the gun was decocked. Especially if the shooter doesn't spend a lot of time working on the DA/SA transition.

My original point, poorly stated, was that about the only time a gun is decocked is when the gun is going to leave the shooter's hand -- to be placed down (on table or ground), to be holstered, or to be given to another person. The "ready" to "not ready" state should then apply to the gun OR the shooter. But, in all of these cases, GRIP CHANGES -- the focus of the original post -- are mandatory.

mavracer

My original point, poorly stated, was that about the only time a gun is decocked is when the gun is going to leave the shooter's hand -- to be placed down (on table or ground), to be holstered, or to be given to another person.

Additionally.
If you're comfortable using a Glock, why would you need to decock a Sig unless the gun was going to leave your hand?

mavracer

For me it's when I chamber a round. I like a sling shot and boom I'm done.
A Sig chambers a round the same way, so again why would you decock the sig unless it's going to leave your hand?

Will Beararms

I always Bobbit a DA/SA after chambering. It's force of habit. I know. I know. Then again I always carry shotguns with the chamber open when not on deck or in a blind or walking a a draw or field.

mavracer

I always Bobbit a DA/SA after chambering. It's force of habit. I know. I know. Then again I always carry shotguns with the chamber open when not on deck or in a blind or walking a a draw or field.
So what you're saying is you realize that a gun with an added safety that it needs to be used because it's safer, but you'd rather not have one because the added safety isn't really needed.

Round and round:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.