Back up Knife?

sw_florida

I dropped a nice German-made folding knife I had bought on sale and couldn't make myself by an equally expensive again. I called around to the places I had been to that day, but, nope, no knife. I bought a Japanese-made knife at a gun show later and the grip, blade and price were all good. It's more or less impossible to inflict damage on a pitbull with your bare hands, and especially if they are two or more. To reload a revolver with a pitbull hanging from your wrist will not be easy. A knife can be useful in such a situation, along with opening packages.

Brad Kenney

I always carry a decent folding knife on or off duty (Spyderco Endura or Chinook). On duty, I think a backup gun is wise. Off duty, I don't.

Stiofan

henckelsstockman4blade.jpg

I carry this Henckels 4 blade stockman pocketknife 99% of the time with me, except mine has a buffalo horn handle.

About 75% of the time I also carry my Gerber multi-tool, but that really can't be termed defensive, although it has a small blade.

About 10% of the time I carry my old and worn Buck 110, especially when hiking/fishing/camping/hunting. Served me well over the last 30+ years, and still in great shape as far as use, but I have so many things hanging from my belt I usually forgo it around town now.

FLA2760

I carry a Smith 642 as a BUG to my Glock27. I have carried a knife for years even before a gun. Currently I carry either a Cold Steel Safemaker III that I wear as a neck knife or a Kabar TDI small size worn on belt. I also have a Benchmade folder with a 3.5 inch balde that stays in the drawer most days now. ;)

bigghoss

I carry a CKRT m16 knife with about a 4 inch blade everywhere. mostly just because I need a decent knife for everyday cutting chores but it's big and sharp enough to

Brad Kenney

I was going to comment on the foolishness of "throwdown" weapons, but decided it's obvious.

I encourage every cop to carry a backup while on-duty. One major consideration is we all tend to focus on the other guy's weapon and we will both probably shoot at it. So . . . if we get hit in the hand or the handgun, a backup could make the difference.

Last edited:

Erik

On whether or not knives may be used effectively to fight with:

Of course they can. Which is not to say that all people, all knives, or all supposed "knife fighting" techniques lend themselves well to the prospect.

For example, someone who knows his way around a boxing gym would be a devastating opponent in close with a push knife in his fist. It would be fighting with a knife, all right, and damned right it would be effective, even without much resembling what many consider to be "knife fighting."

Or another, this time with a mixed martial artist looking to ground and pound someone having introduced a conveniently located small fixed blade. Again, not much like "knife fighting" in the minds of many, but effective? Yep.

But, perhaps even more true than Cooper's quote would be it adapted for knives:

"Owning a knife doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

DeathRodent

I carry a Camillus Heat to work most days. Its a handy tool to have even in the office environment - used it this week to pry the lid off the battery compartment on a safe at work.

Cut the plastic tag on some reading glasses my wife bought this afternoon.

When I walk the dogs I like to slip a Camillus Cuda Maxx in my pocket. Of course thats not for self defense either cause self defense isn't allowed in Kalifornia.

Hard Ball

When I am carrying weapons openly "give me a knife like Bowies" and I want it to say "Ranvall made" on the blade.

threegun

I have taught myself how to fight with a knife........with the help of a few experts at the discipline that is. I even went so far as to slash and stab hanging beef and pork slabs. A knife, while not better than a gun (usually), is a great tool for defense against unarmed foe's.

One thing I want to stress to you guys is a knife is messy. My technique calls for me to slash any available areas and stab only when the risk of losing the knife is low (a defensive technique). Thats not going to look real good for me in court when I have to explain the 10 deep slashes on the now '"good boy" BG. Please don't forget the aftermath.

LanceOregon

The problem with doing this, in my opinion, is that a knife is yet a second lethal weapon. I would much rather that my other weapon be non-lethal, like pepper spray or a taser.

taser_kahr_on.jpg

threegun

Tasers and pepper have killed and the knife can be used without killing. Remember most pepper and electrical units are called "less than lethal" as apposed to "non lethal" nowadays. With the knife slashes to tendons can disable arms and legs with only the risk of death coming from blood loss if help is not given.

I would agree though that a taser or pepper would be a better option prior to deploying the knife if time, space, and circumstances allowed it. For me the knife is my last resort period.

Erik

I'm glad its your last resort, because the whole "I used it as a less than lethal by benevolently cutting up my assailant" defense likely isn't going to count for much with the police, the prosecutor, the jury, or the judge.

Last edited:

threegun

I just wanted to point out that a knife can be used without killing.

My earlier point was that using a knife, especially like I have been trained to use it, will be extremely gruesome & bloody and possibly cause trouble in court defending its usage.

pax

I just wanted to point out that a knife can be used without killing.

So can a firearm, but that does not make it a non-lethal tool.

The law (in Washington state, and nearly all other states have very similar language in the statutes) defines deadly force as "the intentional application of force through the use of firearms or any other means reasonably likely to cause death or serious physical injury."

Using a knife on someone is reasonably likely to cause serious physical injury even if it does not cause death. That means that, under the law, if you use a knife on someone you had darn well better be justified in using lethal force.

pax

threegun

Definitely a "lethal weapon" then. I wasn't thinking in a legal definition since I wouldn't deploy my knife unless my guns have failed......that means I'm probably dead anyway and lethal force requirements were met already.

I was thinking of how many areas can be cut causing incapacitation of limbs without causing immediate death. I shouldn't have mixed the knife in with other "less than lethal" options. You are correct and thank you for the correction.

tuckerdog1

I carry a Buck. Not sure what the model is. I just looked for a long time to find something that fit my grip well, and felt like it would not twist or turn, should it get wet. It also had to have a blade that locked solid and was mighty sharp.

I change up when we walk the dogs. We've been "confronted" several times, and actually attacked once by other dogs. They are amazingly stout creatures. Slashing & stabbing a dog could prove difficult. And even a serious wound may not make them break off the attack. So I started carrying a Ka-Bar marlin spike folder. I can do some serious deep stabbing with that spike ( possibly into the skull ). And should my hand slip & slide down the knike, I won't be slicing up my own hand.

Tuckerdog1

Erik

You might want to consider an impact weapon for the mutts. The don't like to be wacked much.

.300H&H

Maybe a little unorthodox...but I like my $60 Boker joint/penknife - a 4 blade 'congress model'.:D Here's my thinking: 1) it's nice looking and is fun to show off as a gentleman's pocketknife...and has 4 nice carbon blades. 2)it'll cut well
and the 1st wk. I had it I almost had to get stitches for my index finger:eek:
3)if in a real rare sort of emergency where I needed a blade it would work...
if I did my part. 4) if it showed up in a court of law as something belonging to me...there's not likely a judge or jury that would find it to be a menacing weapon...but just a gentleman's pocketknofe - not even a lockblade.
Also, things get a bit scary when one looks at the various state laws concerning 'knives' ie. in my state it's okay to carry a lock blade, but the state next door is a bit more restrictive and persnickety...