Back up Knife?

9ballbilly

I've read quite a bit lately about the pros and cons of carrying a BUG. I personally never have, even when I was a cop. I did carry a sap, switchblade, and push knife while on duty and have continued the practice of carrying a tactical/personal defense knife daily in addition to a handgun.
Mine is a Kershaw 1640 vapor designed by Ken Onion with a 3" blade. I'm curious, how many of you guys carry a tactical knife in addition to your firearm? Anyone use pepper spray? Something else?

Note: I'm not making any judgement of BUG's. Just wondering how many people chose a different option.

Keltyke

In the past, I knew LEOs who carried a gun, two speed loaders (in the days of revolvers), a blackjack, pepper spray, a nightstick, AND a Maglite. I've known some cops to carry a backup piece AND a "throwdown" piece.

Carrying CWP, I've never carried a backup gun or spare ammo. Maybe I'm kidding myself. I feel pepper spray has too much chance of missing or being misdirected by the wind in addition to a hype or drunk not feeling it, and a knife allows the perp to get too close.

Moe Howard

Both I carry a BUG, a primary with extra mag, a lockback knife, (Camillus Heat), and a Victorinox Swiss Champ pocket knife with 30+ tools. When I am at work I have a Leatherman, and whatever else I can get into my vest. When I get undressed at night it is like disarming Germany.:eek:

I have a number of different blades that I rotate out with my CCW. The "most carried" list is as follows:

(I carry only one of these at a time) :)

Spyderco Endura
Benchmade Ambush
SOG Flash II
SOG Trident
Kershaw Speed Bump (Ken Onion)

I also carry a Ontario RAT-3 Fixed blade and Leatherman Micro in my Maxpedition Versipack.

honkylips

I've known some cops to carry a backup piece AND a "throwdown" piece.

That's a pretty bold assertion to make. So you personally know cops who carry 'throwdown' pieces, or you're just making uneducated assumptions?

ChicagoTex

I used to carry a Vapor II as my fairly non-threatening "college knife" because it wasn't blacktical and it was cheap in case it ever got confiscated by the local college gestapo.

Back in my on-duty days however it was a Kershaw Blackout, mostly because I liked the idea of reliable and quick deployment each and everytime and the all-black finish went well with my uniform pants (which were also black). Bear in mind however I didn't carry it as a weapon, the thought was always in my mind that it might be needed as such, but really, I just carried it for utility.

The only knife I own that I really think could cut it as a "fighting" knife is my first generation Spyderco Chinook, but it eats up my entire pocket and scares the sheeple something fierce, so I don't carry it much.
My Benchmade TSEK Axis is a close second.

Shadi Khalil

I carry a small pocket knife along with my pistol and an extra mag. I have always had a knife in my pocket, ever since I was a little kid. I never thought of it as a defensive tool till I took some CC classes. Since taking the classes I've decided to get a knife that meets the needs what what I was taught to use it for defensively as well of something that cuts stuff....I ordered a SOG twitch. Im pretty excited.

EastSideRich

I always carry a knife; not so much as a back-up weapon, but because they always come in handy. I end up using it for something at least 9 out of 10 days.

A couple of knives I regularly carry could easily be used for self defense (Kershaw Boa, Sog Flash Tanto)

On occasion I'll carry a Colt Commander boot knife (which I would consider an actual fighting knife)

Usually (until I lost it a couple of months ago:mad::mad::mad: after about five or six years and THOUSANDS of times being used) I carry a Kershaw Scallion. It's blade is 2 1/4"; it could really hurt you, but definitely not meant for self defense.

Everyone should carry a knife at all times. IMHO it's absolutely the most useful tool on the planet.
After all, our ancestors were using blades for cutting over 2 Million yrs ago.

spamanon

I do carry a knife for back-up/utility

I only carry my Emerson Karambit.

Karambit_BT.jpg

Karambit_BT.jpg

tomato_pd.jpg

Last edited:

Crimp

I always have a pocket knife. Usually my little Buck 505. Often, I'll drop a Kershaw Leek or Scallion in my pocket. I have absolutely no training or knowledge of using a knife as a weapon, so it scares me more than comforts me.

Erik

"Everyone should carry a knife at all times. IMHO it's absolutely the most useful tool on the planet."

Yep.

Erik- who advocates and carries a BUK.

starshooter231

I don't carry a BUG I do however carry a knife. I have carried a pocket knife since I was a little kid. I carry one now just in case I can not draw my sidearm or I am in a car wreck and can't get the buckle to release. You never know when you will need a knife for a job a sidearm just can't do.

Hk_Allday

In normal everyday life, I don't carry a BUG. Florida weather and corresponding attire can make CCW interesting for a single sidearm, let alone two.

I never leave the house without my Benchmade auto-styker in my hip pocket, but I suppose I consider it more "utility" than "back up". There are so many things in life where a knife is just simply better applied than a gun.

As for letting the BG get too close, well here's some graphic (very graphic) photos of what getting too close to a knife can end up like.

I'll post as attachments, so those who don't wish to look don't have to see them.

Attachments

• TooCloseToKnife.jpg
    TooCloseToKnife.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 209
  • TooCloseToKnife-1.jpg
    TooCloseToKnife-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 177
  • TooCloseToKnife-2.jpg
    TooCloseToKnife-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 167

Keltyke

honkylips

"That's a pretty bold assertion to make. So you personally know cops who carry 'throwdown' pieces, or you're just making uneducated assumptions?"

I stand by my statement.

flyby

a Cold-Steel Voyager folding tanto is one of my favorite carry knives...
36539.jpg

..also have a Spyderco,Gerber,Benchmade etc...