Asking someone if they've shot/killed another person...

Is it impolite to ask someone if they've shot/killed somone

• Total voters

Vergeltung

So I'm sitting there, trying to enjoy the game when someone's girlfriend says "So, I bet you've had to kill someone before right? That's why you carry the gun around in case you have to do it again?"

dude. it's obvious. she was bored, and wanted you. ;)

Buzzcook

It is a rude, thoughtless, question. It is also a teaching opportunity.

When I find out that someone was in the service I usually as What was your MOS, where were you stationed, and how was the food there.

Last edited:

ChicagoTex

I have a large amount of buddies who are either active or retired military.
I know for a fact several of them have killed before. However, it doesn't change who they are (to me, today). And the only reason I know is that they've told me of their own volition.

I've never in my life asked anyone if they've killed someone before because it's NOT any of my business and it's almost always irrelavent. I don't have a morbid curiousity or wild fantasies about our boys and girls in the sandbox. The way I see it, it's a job (albeit an often unpleasant and high-risk one) and sometimes killing people is part of the job - I don't see any reason to be weird about it unless they are.

Maybe that's a callous way of looking at it, but several of my military friends have commented to me that they feel very at ease with me because I have no fascination with what they do half a world away. If there's something they want to tell me, they tell me.

rem870hunter

i'm pretty sure my father has taken a life or 2 during his military service. he never fired his rifle in combat, never had too. did throw 1 grenade. he was marine recon. 1 tour in nam. did or would i ever ask him, nope. if he wanted me to know i'm positive he would've told me many years ago,without me asking. it does'nt change my mind about him or any soldier,sailor,airmen or marine. they do what they must do. what they are trained to do. point blank and simple.

are you a murderer for killing another human being while in the service of your/our country? i say hell no you are NOT. to those veterans that have replied and to those going to. THANK YOU.

BillCoe

"Why do you want to know?" Might have been good response to memorize so you can deal better next time. it will give both of you time to reflect on it and come up with better questions and answers and or move away altogether so everyone can stay civil.

My mom didn't know that my dad was in Germany during WW2 until a few years ago. She knew he was in the service during the war because he'd mentioned something about being in England once. Dad passed away @ 15 years after he'd returned, and my mom didn't know that he was ever in Germany at all till her mother in law had died and some letters my dad had sent his mom from during the war came her way.

Same with my wife's father. 442nd and they raged across Europe. My wife knew her dad and Uncle were in the most decorated Army unit in WW2, but one day we're sitting watching TV and some show come on detailing i companies role in the rescue of the Lost Battalion. My wife heard "I" Company and her ears perked up because her dad had been an I company member, but she had no idea of the **** that entailed or that only 8 of the 200 I company members had survived that single engagement. Her dad had never said a word of it. I eventually learned lots and lots of stories by just asking some generic question like "what was the scariest thing you experienced" during an appropriate moment, and Kiichi opened up to me, maybe cause I'm a vet. Once I was conveying a few of these stories to my family after Kiichi had passed on from a heart attack, and my surprised wife had not heard any of it or anything like it. Nor had she thought to intrude and ask. I'm telling her, second hand, about her dad being shot dead center in the chest near Pisa in Italy. How his buddies and him opened up at the same time and the ensuing chaos. Her mouth is wide open in shock and surprise. How Kiichi remembers being on his back in the tall grass and seeing the sky when the medic leaned over him to help him out, how the medics head explodes from gunfire and then he collapses right on top of Kiichi. How he had to free himself from underneath (like at 110 lbs soaking wet) get out of the area and then walking 10 miles to the aid station because he wanted the buddies who were real hurt to have the few remaining trucks to get a ride to the distant aid station.

Not the kind of thing a man wants his daughter to know...or ever experience, even vicariously. Not the kind of thing she would ask.

I think in some ways it's society that has changed.

Last edited:

B.N.Real

Sparks2112,reads from her response after the question,you handled it perfectly.

Kudos and thanks for your military service.