Arrested on Suspicion of Being Suspicious, or, Why I HATE the Sheriff. (LONG)

LoneStranger

In a vain attempt to justify my reading of this thread. Hand Rifle Guy if you were to attempt to use the I'm Italian Claim to explain your slight nervousness you must be specific that you are Northern Italian, they have blonde, blue eyed people up there.
:D

Hand_Rifle_Guy

Wolfetone;

One of the things that bothered me the very most about the whole situation was the feeling of complete betrayal at the hands of the people that I had been RAISED to believe were on the side of the law-abiding citizens who have done nothing wrong, and have nothing to hide.

I guess it was just an epiphany. A significant change in my fundamental belief system.

I raised my voice ONCE in disbelief at a completely outrageous proposition, i.e. admit to a felony to avoid a felony so I get to keep my guns.

The second time I was being harrassed, TWO AND A HALF YEARS LATER, for PRECISELY the same thing, right down to the semantics.

Disorderly conduct? For raising my voice?

I wasn't stopping traffic.

I wasn't inciting a riot.

I didn't get into a fight.

I didn't even block the sidewalk.

All I did was argue with the deputy on the street.

A one sided argument.
The merit of which I don't think anyone will dispute.

And I like cops just fine. Realistically, I even support the sheriffs. I am absolutely behind law enforcemenrt 100%. I hate criminals and want them locked up, because they are responsible for making the Liberals WANT TO CONFISCATE MY GUNS.

But only the sheriff actually treats ME like a criminal. For no other reason than my brain works a bit faster than his.

"Sir, you're going to have to come with me. Being over six foot three is felony, you know. We're going to have to lock you up, and you'll have to surrender your firearms. People of your height just can't be allowed to roam around, purposely being taller than everyone else. That's a criminal offense."

The Hole is less fun if you didn't dig it yourself.
Just don't feel right, lessen' you EARN it.

I thought staying out of jail was considered an achievement, albeit a pretty basic one. Something that might earn one the designation of "honest person", at the very minimum.

I'm not gloating about it, I'm GRIPING about it.

If I have a break-in, I get assaulted, I'll probably call a cop. But I'll have to deal with the situation myself before I'd ever call a county sheriff.

I no longer trust them, you see. They have lost ALL credibility with me. They have become the enemy, right up there with gun-grabbers.

I really, REALLY hate that. That they have so completely destroyed my faith in an institution I have a lifetime's worth of training at supporting.

MURDEROUSly unpleasant. Oh yes. I really hate that too. I never want to feel that way again. I've only felt that angry once before, and THAT situation I exited very quickly lest I find myself doing something out of control.

My self control is very important to me. It is one of the defining aspects of my personality. By trapping me in a situation like that, the sheriff robbed me of my self control.

EVERYONE has limits. They pushed me past mine, something not easily done AT ALL.

I cannot forgive them, for that. I've tried. All I can do now is pretend, a technique whose success requires very heavy-handed mental gymnastics.

Not an especially fun prospect.

sven

hand_rifle_guy, i feel your pain, totally. i can't imagine how i would react in that situation.

i am moving back to Palo Alto from Seattle in a few weeks, and don't look forward to this sort of potential confrontation. that said, i drive a Lexus (family car), so i probably won't raise eyebrows in PA. stealth mode.

re-reading your story, and in particular noting the things you quoted yourself saying to the cop, i can't really imagine him acting too terribly differently, especially with your violent outbursts. if i were in his position i'm not sure how I would react. granted, i wouldn't be in his position - ever. no disrespect to leos and former leos out in TFL land with your heads screwed on.

i am not suggesting that your hyperactivity/add is BAD, or that you _should_ change it - but you should definitely be aware of how you look to the outside world, even if exponents of that outside world are twisted individuals.

someone suggested acquiring a medical statement documenting your condition - this seems like a great idea. i would ask the doctor to note manifestations specific to the diagnostics used by LEOss (heart rate, ...). this would no doubt help, especially if presented calmly....

... and there is the rub. in particular, IF the anger part of your hyperactivity COULD be controllect, even just in these special situations, even just a tiny bit, my guess is that this would probably save you a lot of hassle.

in other words, if you kept your cool (i know, impossible given the behavior of this lamer... but... actually, not impossible... just difficult...) i doubt future situations would devolve as your past one did.

it wouldn't hurt to have some lawyer friends. if you don't know any, you can hire a 'friend'. alas.... if you can't afford one, then you are screwed - big time. and justice for all... with the dosh.

i am fortunate (!) to have a lawyer friend, who helped me get out of a pretty severe speeding ticket recently. i chose not to go to mitigation, but instead to take it to the judge.

in court, i watched 12 people go before me - none of them knew how to address the judge, had EVIDENCE of what had transpired or what was bogus in the claim. one exception: a pretty girl got off when she started crying... the judge quieted let her off, and the secretary even had to ask him again to confirm she was free... but all of the others faired poorly.

then it was my turn. i was prepared.

i had BULLETS ready for the judge... not CCW-style, but legal preparation style. he looked a little shocked when i asked to file a preliminary motion... end story: my case dismissed. BUT, had this failed, I had FOUR MORE PRELIMINARY MOTIONS ready if that first one had failed. this is what a good lawyer gets you - backup research and loophole finding.

all of this because of my lawer friend. i owe her dinner again.

regardless of the situation... if you do go to court, if you are pulled over.... knowing the rules of engagement, the lexicon, and your rights will get yor far. playing by their rules actually restricts your opponents degree of freedom.

out.

my $0.01.

-steve

Hand_Rifle_Guy

My hyper thing DOES NOT make me at all short tempered. That requires unbelievable, outrageous, ludicrous LIES on the part of the deputy.

I have flown off the handle to that degree TWICE in my post-teen years. All fifteen of them. I really am the most level-headed person I know. How many of you can say they've lost their temper ONLY TWICE in the past fifteen years?

What that means is that EVERYONE ELSE THAT I'VE MET SO FAR SEEMS TO DEMONSTRATE LESS PATIENCE THAN ME. About everything. All of them. I'm really laid back. I hate stress.

An adrenalin dump is not the end of my rationality by any stretch. But it doesn't leave me a whole lot of patience for absolute card-carrying silver-plated bullsquat.

Additionally, it's not a typical circumstance. Nervous does not equate to panic. It did the first time because I was ignorant of the outcome. I didn't know if I was stuck in jail until my arraignment, or anything, until I got released the next morning. The second time, nervousness completely evaporated upon the sight of the sheriff's cruiser, which suddenly (for me) redefined the situation.

Which led in a straight line to my subsequent explosion. I was hoarse afterwards I yelled so loud. But I kept my head, despite my anger. I think that kept me out of jail. My voice was raised, derisive and contemptous, but my arguments carried weight.

I didn't make any lawsuit threats, either.

I'm pretty nervous/worried around cops typically. I usually play it cool, and there's no issue.

the deputies notice the worry, add to it fast speech and jittery movement, and their "specially trained" alarms go off. Ding! Ohboy, a crankster! 'Nother arrest fer me this month, doncherknow! (breathes on and polishes nails, struts around trying to look important.) Hey guys! Come and look at the ARSENAL this guy's got in his ammo box!

It's enough to make your head explode, being paraded around like a big-news capture. I wish the guy had kissed me, as it's always nice to get kissed while you're being screwed.

Brandon French

wolfetone

We don't hate the police, at least I don't. But Im sure everyone can agree on hating *******s. I know we must all rise above small-minded individuals and be better when confronted by such. But to make a point, I don't call the cops when I need help, I calll them afterward in accordance with the law. Police can't protect me or my family, they can only deture your would be criminal by there presents. That is what police do, and I thank them for that. We depend on police,and most of the time we admire them for there action. Many in uniform died for this nation on Sept11. these brave people will always have my deepest respect.

Be Safe

B

wolfetone

Brandon, It was good to see your reply. I agree with you about disliking ***holes, but some of the other posts seem to have devolved into general police bashing. Regarding your statement that the police, at least in your case, are only called afterward, in accordance with the law, let me say this; People call us all the time from cell phones reporting road rage incidents, erratic operators, domestic abuse, etc., and we respond immediately. Certainly you've heard some of the stories of people hiding in their homes and calling the police while some dirtbag is in the process of b & eing same. We interrupt crimes in progress more than you probably know. Anyway, I'm glad you don't let a few anecdotes indict every fair, hardworking, honest cop out there. And there are many more of us than the other type. Believe me, we all appreciate your support.

Hand_Rifle_Guy

Wolfetone:

I don't even let MY anecdotes indict every fair-minded hardworking guy out there doing his job. I don't even like the idea of hammering the guys who want to nail me. They just get a lot less patience and understanding. I said as much in my stories.

I'm simply at wit's end as to what to do to prevent it. Although lots of people here have given some good suggestions.

Grim though my stories are, I don't regard them as LEO-bashing, just graphic illustrations of the actual events. I don't even think of the guys I dealt with as a-holes. They were nice enough, just misguided. The a-holes in this situation are the people who decide on the policy, and define what the training these guys receive is, and how it's implemented. Curses worked into my high-volume diatribe were NOT insults, or at least not intended to be, they were just emphatic punctuations.

I just REALLY WISH there were more of your stripe around. The world needs more of such.

JohnKSa

Administrator
wolftone,

Here are a few incidents that have helped shape my views about police.

1. My father, head of the Neighborhood Watch, calls the local cops regarding a suspicious vehicle that has been cruising the neighborhood very slowly for around an hour. The local cop arrives and pulls up to my folk's house. My dad says, pointing, "There he is." The car was a couple of blocks away, rounding a corner. Cop turns off his car, gets out. Dad says: "There he is, that's the guy I called about!" Cop says: "Is this your vehicle?" and proceeds to write dad a parking ticket. Parking ticket is dismissed as the neighborhood has a grandfather clause in the city law due to the fact that the streets, driveways & sidewalks were constructed years before the law was passed and didn't allow conformation to the law.

2. Some nut drives down the street about 2AM discharging a .357 revolver (guessing by the noise, # of shots & bullet hole size--I was visiting & awake). One of the bullets passed through my father's van that was parked on the street. Cops arrive and try to get my father to admit to being a drug dealer or being involved with some kind of gang activity. Examining the truck, they try to prove that it was shot more than once (it wasn't) as evidence that the shooting was personally motivated. Next morning I walk down the street and find 3-4 more bullet holes in other vehicles & houses. The cops were so sure my dad was involved that they hadn't even paid attention to the witnesses who said that the car had fired several other random shots as it drove the quarter mile or so down the straightaway before it got to my folk's place.

3. My cousin, attending school in OK was pulled over one day. The cop was driving the other direction and pulled a U-turn to stop him. Cop told him that he was speeding (he wasn't). Later, upon telling another police officer from another department the story, the police officer confirmed that this was BS since the department concerned didn't have, at the time, radar that would function while the police car was moving. They pulled him out of the car, laid him on his face. Patted him down. Searched the vehicle. Then issued him a warning for speeding and sent him on his way.

4. Driving through Kiowa City, OK with my wife. Pulled over for going exactly 5mph over the speed limit. If you've driven up HWY 69 in OK, you can understand how this happens. They change the speed limit every 2 miles. I missed a sign and was going exactly the wrong speed limit. Anyway, the officer took me back to his car and grilled me while writing in his little book. Where are you going. Why. Where do you work. Etc, etc. After 10 minutes or so of that, I got tired of it and said: "You're not really going to ticket me for 5 miles over are you?" He looked a little surprised and said that he had in the past, but that he wasn't going to this time. He finally let me go without even a warning.

Then there's the little town that I drive through on the way to work every day. They've had construction signs up on their 1 mile section of interstate for the last 5 years. They get to collect 2X the fine for people they catch speeding because of the signs. The last construction that actually occured was about 5 years ago. They never took down the signs.

Admittedly, these aren't exactly horror stories, and I have had several positive experiences with LE to balance them. It's just sad that there's so much LE Chicken$#1+ that goes on around the country.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I got my car towed one night and passed the breath analyser...so they had no reason to tow my car. So they charged me with illegal crossing of the center line. I was parked when they first saw me:D

JohnKSa

Administrator
Crud!

I didn't realize I was resurrecting an old thread...

I read the current thread on the Sheriff encounter which referred me to this one which referred me to a third...

Anyway, after reading down through all three threads, I lost track of which was which and responded to this one, thinking it was the most recent...

scud

I was arrested for concealed weapon cop killer knife once that was in my car when i was on the phone, cop ask me if it was for killing cops so i said you're not dead are you ( it was a absurd allegation seeing as the knife was in view 30 ft away in my car ), he then searched my car and found a french fry and decided it was crack and charged my friend with posession of it - he also refused to test it with his little cocaine test kit he had and I saw on him - he had it out to begin with - guess he thought he had something. He then looked at my registration and noticed my car was paid in full, he said "it's my car now" - the next 3 hours he handcuffed us at the substation we cussed him the entire time - ( I had never seen the french fry, my friend did so I assumed he planted it so i was going to at least cuss him as much as possible ) they finally let my friend go and admitted it wasn't crack - he must have spent that time trying to find some crack to substitute it with IMO, i got the knife thing thrown out. Needless to say I was POed.

chink

Pulled over 4 times by the Santa Clara County Sherriff. 2 good experiecences, 2 bad ones

CHP is seems cooler.

The bad experience happened when I was 16. Apparently I didn't look 16, made a turn from a stop sign with a truck coming at me. I knew my could make it and I didn't see the Sheriff behind him. the cop pulls a U-turn and pulls me over, questions the validity of my license and lectures me about how I was unsafe and says "Do you realize that was an unsafe turn?"
I reply "I made it didn't I?"
he says "thats not the point that was unsafe..." and continues. Long story short, he gives me a warning

The other bad expericence happened in like 1999, I was driving to work at like 1 am to check on some tests I was running. Took a turn a little fast and couldn't decided which lane I wanted to be in ( Cox and Saratoga ave if anyone cares), because I didn't want to miss the light and spend 3 minutes sitting at a light staring at darkness. follows me a while as I drive the speed limit and then finally decides to pull me over (Lawarence and Doyle) tells me he pulled me over because I took the turn really fast, only he was like 100 yrds from the light and couldn't really see me when I took the turn. then he tells me that there are people walking in Saratoga. If you know anything about saratoga, people don't walk after 7 pm they are all asleep, because they are primarily old.
I am sitting the for 10 minutes and as a joke he tells me that the car came up stolen. Only think is that I got the car from an police auction and well... i think it had a checkered past. once while working on the car i found what I suspected to be Crack, which I promptly flushed down the toilet, when I was putting a stereo into the car, I took out the backseat and found all sorts of dog food, lastly, every single screw in the car was loose when I got it. I did a lot of work on the interior to get decent stereo setup and every screw I every came across was loose, which I figure was from a cursory search to find what I did 4 months after purchasing the car. The cop scared the crap out of me, it was supposed to the be quick 1/2 hour trip to the office and back, and I thought this cop was gonna bust my ass. then says "J/k the computer in the car is down i am just checking on your license, when that comes back you can go. JUst slow down" 5 minutes later i am free to do.

Tropical Z

Unfortunately, IMHO,a good percentage of todays cops are poorly trained,not too bright,and on hopeless power trips.The last cop i had a run in with drove off in a rage after i called him on his illegal activities.His department had been running an illegal speed trap from private property for some time and i informed him how his department was full of crooks.He wasn't happy,but knew i was right and he was wrong.I haven't seen the trap in a year now.

Mike Weber

H_R_G aka L_H_R:
I must say that I wasn't impressed with California law enforcement during the two years that I worked in southern California. I only had one run in with them and that was enough for me. I was living in Van Nuys at the time. My vehicle was suffering from some major problems at the time, so I had it parked and I was riding the bus and walking until I could save up the money for the repairs. I happened to be walking down Van Owen Blvd. one afternoon heading for a bus stop on my way to work. Just as I was walking by a cafe an LAPD squad car pulled up to the curb two cops got out and the next thing I knew I was being slammed up against a telephone pole and being searched. When I asked them what this was all about I was told that I was in an area frequented by drug dealers and because of this I was a drug suspect. Another thing that thay told me was that because I was wearing a long sleeved shirt that this increased their suspicion that I was a drug user. Now I'm from the northwest I have always worn long sleeved western shirts all of my adult life except for my stint in the military. I never have been a drug user. To make matters even worse while one of the cops is rumaging through my pockets, I had one of those chrome zippo lighters in my pocket with the schrimshawed ivory slabs on it. The cop sees the bottom of the lighter, thinks that it is the butt of a .25 automatic and the next thing I know is that I have the muzzle of a 9mm Beretta shoved into my back. When he sees that it was just a cigarette lighter he holsters his pistol. From the time that he pulled his weapon the other cop also had his weapon trained on me. The cop goes through my pockets dumping the contents on the ground. checks my arms for needle marks doesn't find any needle marks. Then they run my ID which comes back clean. As I am picking up the contents from my pockets from the ground. I've missed my bus causing me to be late for work, I've had two pistols pointed at me. When all I was doing was walking down the street minding my own business trying to catch my bus. As the cops were leaving one of them says "Sorry for the inconvenience".

J

Jeff, CA

At least yours had the courage to apologize. Mine didn't even have that.

Jeeper

All these stories are why I am going to law school. Knowing your rights and the legal situation would relly pay off some times. Plus you can sue people without paying ridiculous fees.

Jason Demond

When I was young I used to get pulled over all the time. I was given two tickets, one was for failing to stop at a stop sign, and the other was for speeding in a school zone. The stop sign was a bogus ticket and the cop new it, but what could I do, I was only 16. I had told everyone I could that the police where I lived were harassing me but couldn't get anyone to believe me. One day I had a MI State Police officer from the local post pull me over. The cop was real pissed off because my Grandfather was in the car and that now had a witness to all the police harassment I had to endure. My Granddad was livid; when I got him home he started his phone campaign to anyone who would listen, he even called the Mayor of Hasting {that’s where I live}. I don’t know all that was said, but I was never pulled over again.

Scott Conklin

Both cops would have been dealing with lawyers, mine, for whatever remained of their careers, Weber. Whether it ever got to court or not. Whether I ever won anything or not. Harrassment works both ways.