Armed strangers: Good or bad?

Thumper

Oh...didn't answer your questions.

You seem to be fixated so:

1) Do you carry openly everywhere?

No. Can't here. Carry everywhere concealed. Travel to Phoenix occasionally. I carry open there. No one's ever even looked at me funny, that I noticed.

2) Where do you live?

Urban area (Houston)

3) Have you ever run into a situation where someone asked you to put away your weapon?

Yes...everytime I see one of those blatantly anti-gun signs on private businesses that forbid concealed carry holders from carrying.

I don't understand, though;

What does the gun's state of concealment have to do with the conversation?

wolfman97

Wolfman, I answered your question about 4 times, and you never did comprehend the answer once. I clearly laid out to you how hypocritical your stance on the 2nd Amendment was to your example of the 1st Amendment. You never got it and I don't expect you will.

Well, just to review, the question was: If you ask someone to shut up on your property does that mean you are against free speech?

In case you missed it, that wasn't an essay question. It is a simple "Yes" or "No".

I am no more against the 1st Amendment than you. I will not regulate anyone's speech until it starts to harm others in a malignant way.

Well, there I think we could dissect an answer. Let's see, it appears there are circumstances in which you would ask someone to shut up on your property (like he starts talking about the things he would like to do with your wife -- no malignant harm there, just irritating). And, your answer seems to be "No", that just because you restrict his right to speak on your property doesn't mean you are against the First Amendment and his right to exercise free speech anywhere else. Likewise with other amendments.

I also respect 2nd Amendment rights in the same way.

Well, unfortunately, if you wait for the "malignant harm" from guns someone could be dead or seriously injured, rather than just insulted.

You are being stubborn and not listening. Your eyes are obviously shut and you don't want to see your hypocricy.

No, I listened to everything you said and responded to every bit of it. I don't think you did the same.

You are restricting the right to keep and bear arms on your property based on the belief that other people are incapable of being trusted on your property until proven otherwise all so you can reduce liability and protect yourself.

IIRC, I also asked if we should assume that, just because they had the money to buy a weapon, they are automatically a safe gun-handler. Is that a good assumption- the guy has a gun, therefore he must be safe with it? Or have you ever seen someone who had a gun but really didn't handle it correctly?

I didn't catch your answer.

It has been explained to you several times that this same way of thinking is exactly the type of thinking the anti-gun crowd has. You disguise your motives behind your fear or lawyers and Tort Law and try to justify your fear of other firearms owners based on those fears. you have yet to explain how your thinking is any different than the anti-gun crowd except to state the obvious, "It is my property and I can do what I want."

Well, as we can see, just because you restrict someone's right of free speech on your property (for example, I doubt you would let someone talk about what a nice booty your wife has and what he would like to do with it), doesn't mean you are against the First Amendment.

Likewise, just because you restrict someone's right to sacrifice goats or dance with snakes on your property doesn't mean that you are against their right to practice religion. (Or would you allow someone to sacrifice goats and dance with snakes on your property?)

In other words, there could be any number of rights that people have that you wouldn't want them to exercise on your property. That doesn't mean you are against their right to do it elsewhere, does it?

Then in a weak attempt to justify your actions you go on the offense and ask if I am anti-First Amendment if I asked someone to leave my property for using vulgar language.

No, I didn't go on any "offense". I just asked a directly parallel question about rights guaranteed in the Amendment just prior to the Second Amendment.

This example is an excellent example of how liberty minded inviduals expect others to be of good moral character and trustworthy until they prove otherwise. You do not persecute and take away an individuals rights until they prove they are incapable of handling the responsibility.

Let's just note (again) that those rights apply to your relationship to the Federal Government. If you are on someone else's property, the only thing you really have a right to do without their permission is leave.

In other words, I completely support that person's first amendment rights, UNTIL they do something to warrant otherwise, like endanger the life of another or ruin someone's pursuit of happiness in a reasonable way like using vulgar language around my kids.

Well, your timing may be slightly different, but the result is the same. At some point, you will restrict their constitutional rights on your property. (As near as I can tell, the Second Amendment doesn't restrict that right even for negligent handling of firearms, so you would still be restricting their rights beyond what is mentioned in the Constitution even if you took a gun away because they clearly demonstrated themselves to be unsafe.) As I think we have established, that doesn't mean that you are against them fully exercising their rights off your property.

Ok, I just read up on tort law. Answer me a few questions.

If you are going to be held liable for not disarming your guests, the plantiff must prove that "A person has acted negligently if he or she has departed from the conduct expected of a reasonably prudent person acting under similar circumstances." So under the reasonably prudent person assumption, do you have examples of cases where it has been found that a reasonable person disarms all guests of their legally possessed firearms? In order for me to be held liable, it must be proven that reasonable persons would disarm their guests who legally carry firearms onto their property right? So tell us of some examples of where this has been found by a court of law.

No, I don't think I have any particular cases involving guns, but the principles are the same. And, without checking the books myself, I think you got the standard there correctly. And I am reasonably sure that, if someone did get shot, then you are already at the stage where you should have done something reasonable to prevent it, and didn't.

Afterall ,Whether a defendant has a duty to protect the plaintiff from harm is a question decided by the court, not the jury.

The court may determine whether the duty exists (that's a matter of law), but the jury determines what is "reasonable" to insure safety (that's a matter of fact). In this case, as I explained, the plaintiff's attorney is going to argue that the "reasonable" thing to do would have been to ask the person to lock up the weapon. Keeping in mind that, if they got to court, then something bad already happened, the plaintiff's attorney is going to argue that the "reasonable" thing to do would have been to lock up the weapon upon entry. As I said, that's going to be hard argument to beat, simply because you didn't lock it up and (obviously, because you are in court) something bad did happen.

Over time, courts have developed numerous rules creating and limiting a person's duty to others, and sometimes duties are established or limited by statute. Whether the defendant owes the plaintiff a duty depends upon the relationship between the defendant and the plaintiff.

It is pretty well-established that a property owner has a duty to invited guests.

So again, in order to justify your fears, I would like to know of some cases where a person invited to a social gathering is dependent upon the host to disarm lawfully armed citizens as part of the duty to protect the plantiff from harm.

I don't know of any particular cases that match this scenario, but cases are decided all the time without a particular case that exactly matched the current scenario. But, it is pretty obvious what arguments the plaintiff's attorney would make in such a case, and it is pretty obvious how a jury would probably decide the issue. Juries tend to side with the injured party, for one thing.

Now people come to your house with an openly carried firearm. You tell them, "You are welcome to carry your sidearm as long as you understand that unless you life is in immediate danger, you are to leave it holstered. If you are going to drink, you must go put your gun in your car and give me the keys to your car as well." Wouldn't that pretty much limit your liability?

No, probably not. If something bad happens, the plaintiff's attorney is certainly going to argue that you should have done something besides counsel them (obviously, since something bad happened despite your counseling them) and the jury is probably going to buy that argument.

wolfman97

Next, you are trying to avoid liability right? So answer me this. When you ask people to leave their guns in the car or ask them not to bring them, you are establishing your duty to protect the visitor from harm by entering into a contract where they are no longer responsible for their own safety because you disarmed their lawful means to defend themselves. Aren't you pretty much ensuring you will be held liable if someone is injured, and they can prove that they might had not been injured had they been able to immediately defend themself?

No. That was already discussed. There is no such thing as a "contract of strict liability" as someone put it before. Because you took one action to insure safety doesn't mean that you automatically assumed the duty to protect them if Al Qaeda attacks.

Example, I brought my handgun to Wolfman's house, he informed me that I did not need my firearm while at his house. Some of his guests were drinking and started a fight with me and broke my leg and arm, nearly killing me. I was unable to work for 4 months and I was subjected to pain and suffering. Had I been armed I would have been able to defend myself. Wolfman failed to fulfill his contract to provide for my security while on his property and is liable under tort law. Is it probable this might happen?

Well, nothing even remotely similar has ever happened at any of my parties, so I would say the probability is pretty low.

But, my liability would probably be based upon whether I could have reasonably foreseen the event, or possibility of it, and taken reasonable steps to prevent it.

What ifs are like that aren't they? Just like the what ifs of responsible firearms owners bringin a holstered weapon to your house and taking it out and misusing it. Again accidents happen on the range, but how often do they happen when a weapon is properly holstered.

Not that often if the weapon is properly holstered, but then, as I said, you will have to spend your evening making sure it stays properly holstered, that the stranger doesn't get drunk, etc.. Like I said, I don't have barbecues for the pleasure of babysitting other people.

But, if you got to court, then obviously it didn't stay properly holstered.

Tort law is certainly very intersting, but do you have examples of actual cases where it has been proven that a reasonably prudent person would disarm guests in order to provide for their safety?

Not just offhand, but that doesn't change the principles that would govern such a case.

Conversly couldn't it be argued that in order to provide for a guest's safety you might want to arm them?

If you think you can get a jury to believe that, then go ahead and pass out the weapons as your guests enter the door. All things considered, however, I don't think the typical jury would buy that as the reasonable thing to do. After all, like I said, I have lots and lots of experience with BBQs and never run across a case where guns would have been even remotely useful.Just guessing, but I would imagine that most jurors have been to lots of BBQs and never seen the need for a gun, either. (Based on a survey I saw on packing.org that showed that something like 85 percent of all gun owners responding had never had any incident in which they needed a gun to defend themselves in their entire lives.)

You are making some awefully large assumptions that firearms are used solely for the harming of otherwise innocent people.

No, I didn't assume anything about their intentions. I just assumed that people sometimes handle guns negligently and I have seen the proof of that many, many times. It doesn't take any bad intentions on their part to cause injury, only a temporary lapse of vigilance.

Couldn't it just as easily, if not more easily, be argued that firearms actually increase personal safety and that disarming guests is negligence and subjecting a potential plantiff to more harm?

Anything can be argued. But, given the fact that I have never seen use for a gun at a BBQ in 55 years (and most jurors would probably have a similar set of experiences) , I wouldn't bank on the jury buying that argument, and I don't think your lawyer would bank on it, either.

And really, how does leaving your garden hose out and someone tripping over it compare to a person shooting up your BBQ?

In both cases, an injury occurred and the property owner should have taken reasonable steps to prevent the problem.

Under tort law wouldn't it be difficult to prove that you could forsee a guest playing with a firearm that they have direct control over by having it on their person and causing another person harm?

No, probably not. If the person came into your house with a gun on their hip and someone got subsequently injured, it is more likely that the jury will decide that the reasonable thing to do would have been to lock it up.

I still don't see how you are making this jump to the home owner being liable for the negligent actions of another person. Maybe if I saw someone plaing with a gun and I did nothing, I could see how the property owner would be liable. However, if I warn the person to keep the firearm holstered and they disregard my directions and have an accidental shooting without my direct knowledge until after the fact, I don't see how I would be held liable for their negligence.

Well, the jury will be second-guessing you with the hindsight that 1) someone did get injured and 2) that injury could have been prevented if the host had locked up the weapon rather than just talking.

I guess in order for such a scenario to work you would have to prove to a court that firearms are inherently dangerous when used properly and safely and the mere fact that a firearm is around greatly increases the risk of death or great bodily injury.

No, you would just have to prove that the injury occurred and that reasonable steps (e.g., locking up the gun) would have prevented the injury, and that those steps were not taken.

But, if you are in court, then you are obviously already at the point where the firearm was not used properly and safely, so your guess wouldn't apply.

I am sure that sounds familiar to many of you. Again the anti-argument that guns are evil and not to be trusted except for in the hands of the few who are "competent enough".

So, if you tell someone to shut up on your property, or not to sacrifice goats in your front yard, then you must be anti-free speech and anti-freedom of religion anywhere. Don't try to deny it, because those are your stated standards for determining whether someone is "anti". (You "antis" are all alike trying to deny your true feelings.)

Again thanks for this introduction to tort law Wolfman, but until you list cases of where a property owner was held liable for the actions of a negligent person who possessed a firearm on their property, your fear seems pretty remote.

Well, by the same token, given 55 years of BBQs with no problems, your fear that you need firearms to protect yourself at my BBQ seems pretty remote.

But, the law doesn't need an exact match on the case to establish how other cases will be handled. That's what law books are all about -- giving you the principles by which cases are decided, even if you don't have an exact match.

It certainly isn't enough in my book to assume liability for the safety of my guests by disarming them and entering into a contract where I will assume sole responsibilty for their safety by disarming them

Well, you wouldn't incur any extra liability for such actions, so don't worry too much about it. And, I don't know about you, but no one has ever needed a gun at any of my BBQs.

wolfman97

But let me just throw in another part of my thinking on this. I have a former brother-in-law. Let's call him Todd. Now, let me assure you that, if Todd ever shows up at your door packing a piece then the first thing you should do is disarm the fool. I could tell you endless stories about how stupid Todd is, but let me just share one that is particularly relevant. On one occasion, he came over to my father-in-law's house with a pellet gun. Inside of about fifteen minutes, he had three of the neighbors coming out of their houses to complain about him, he nearly shot me, and he put a hole in one of my father-in-law's windows.

There is no question that, any time you see this fool with a gun, you would be well-advised to take it from him before he accidentally shoots you. The guy is a moron. If Todd shows up, then you really don't have an argument about whether it is right to take his gun -- unless you are an even bigger idiot than Todd is.

Now, let's suppose that two people come to your door packing heat, one of whom could be safe, and the other is Todd. Being that you are a sensible person, you rightly recognize that Todd should not hold weapons any more than anyone else with the IQ of a four-year-old, and you take his gun away, but you don't take away the other guy's gun. Todd asks you why you are giving him unfair treatment. Well, the only good answer is that you know that Todd is a complete idiot. But, of course, it's not exactly polite to tell him that he is an idiot but you don't think the other guy is. (After all, Todd is really too stupid to recognize how stupid he is, and takes offense at that.) It seems the more gracious thing to do would be to simply explain to both of them that you prefer to err on the side of caution (because in that case, you definitely know that the risk from Todd is far greater than the risk of someone coming through the door with guns blazing), that you have a standard house rule, and ask them both to check their weapons. In any event, I can assure that, statistically speaking, it would be far safer to lock up both weapons than to allow Todd to have one.

And let me further assure you that I have met more than one "Todd" in my life.

wolfman97

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An owner of property is entitled to assume, with respect to any type of visitor, that visitors will exercise reasonable care for their own safety. Therefore, an owner may defend a premises liability claim by arguing that the injured party was negligent in causing his or her own injury.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to this statement, visitors are still expected to exercise reasonalbe care for their own safety.

Meaning that they should have looked at the sidewalk to see if a hose was laying across it.

Again we get into the quagmire of "reasonable". I would argue that possessing my Glock 27 is a reasonable care for my own safety. I should be armed on yor property. And if I was negligent in causing my own injury or possibly someone else's due to my unholstering and messing with my Glock, the property owner would not be liable.

No, you missed it. In that case, the statement above wouldn't apply to you, it would apply to the party you injured. If they were playing with your gun and shot themselves, then the owner probably wouldn't be liable. If you shot them, then it doesn't apply.

Intersting. If that were true it would pretty much destroy Wolfman's whole arguement that he is liable for another person's negligence on his property.

You misapplied the statement, so it isn't true as you tried to interpret it.

It would also establish that since I should exercise reasonable care for my own safety, when Wolfman disarms me, he once again assumes complete liability for my safety by disarming me. Should something happen to me that could have been avoided by my being armed, I don't see there being any question that Wolfman is liable.

No, that isn't correct, either. Assumption of complete liability is very strictly limited to very specific cases of inherently dangerous activities (dynamiting something, etc.)

This is intersting stuff. Of course we are dismising any arguments that you are disarming people because there is alcohol as it is simple to tell people if you are going to drink, go get rid of your gun.

As already pointed out, then you have to babysit them to make sure they comply. And, if they don't, they you are arguing with a drunk with a gun.

Plus the armed drinker would make an assumption of risk by voluntarily consenting to encounter a known danger created by the their own negligence.

No, you are missing something again. The idiot with the gun isn't the one who is going to be suing you. The one who sues you is the person the idiot shot. None of your arguments above apply to the person who got shot.

PS Note when you read the article in the link that the nature and extent of that the duty to protect members of the public from injury which may occur on the property will vary depending on the jurisdiction in question. The information I listed is for my native PRK. Check your own state and see if it is different.

The general principle comes from English Common Law as described in Prosser on Torts (used in law schools in all 50 states, the last I heard). Jurisdictions may differ somewhat in their application of the principles, but the basics are the same almost everywhere -- even in Louisiana where the laws were originally based on the Napoleonic Code rather than English Common Law.

wolfman97

quote:
Firearms are a unique type of product in that their very purpose is to inflict harm, and if they failed to do so they would be considered defective. Although victims of accidental and criminal shootings may be searching for someone to compensate them for their losses, they are unlikely to achieve that goal by bringing a products liability action.

I don't know about the first sentene in this article. I am sure 90% of us would argue that a firearms "very purpose" is to inflict harm. That sounds more like an opinion than a court decision. If it were true, it would certainly support Wolfman and the anti-argument that guns are evil and need to be regulated for the safety of the general public or invited BBQ population.

You missed something again. That statement above applies to product liability law -- what happens if someone is injured by a defective product. It wouldn't apply in the case we are discussing.

Note the words "products liability action". That means a lawsuit against the maker, seller, or distributor of a product. That has nothing to do with property owner liability.

quote:
Although the courts may be willing to entertain various new theories of liability in gun-related injury cases, they have demonstrated some reluctance to apply products liability law when intentional, criminal conduct is involved. More likely sources of liability in these cases are gun owners and dealers who fail to keep their weapons out of the hands of criminals or inexperienced users.

Note they mention that they are more likely to find liability with gun owners who fail to keep THEIR weapons out of the hands of inexperienced users.

AGain, that's discussing product liability law. It doesn't really relate to the situation under discussion.

So I won't be handing out firearms to my guests to provide for their safety unless they have documented training. It doesn't say they are liable for keeping the inexperienced user from possessing their own weapons.

That's because it really doesn't have anything to do with the circumstances mentioned.

Again it appears the burden of proof is on Wolfman to provide examples of where tort law has been used against a property owner with the assumption that they should be reasonably expected to disarm guests.

Well, if you can get it straight which issues of liability we are talking about, it might become clearer to you. You would do better to look up cases of property owner liability.

wolfman97

Oh...didn't answer your questions.

Thanks for catching it.

You seem to be fixated so:

1) Do you carry openly everywhere?

No. Can't here. Carry everywhere concealed. Travel to Phoenix occasionally. I carry open there. No one's ever even looked at me funny, that I noticed.

2) Where do you live?

Urban area (Houston)

3) Have you ever run into a situation where someone asked you to put away your weapon?

Yes...everytime I see one of those blatantly anti-gun signs on private businesses that forbid concealed carry holders from carrying.

Hmmm, if you are really carrying concealed, how would they know?

But, then you must surely understand that people asking you to put away your weapon is going to be fairly common and, therefore, anyone who is outraged by such must spend a good deal of time outraged.

I don't understand, though;

What does the gun's state of concealment have to do with the conversation?

1) If the gun is clearly visible when someone walks into your house then there is a far stronger argument that the property owner knew about it and, knowing about it, should have taken reasonable steps.

2) As stated before, I have more faith in people who have the good sense to keep their weapons from becoming a possible worry to anyone else.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
Out in public I routinely stay in Condition Yellow, and I think of everyone as a possible threat. Armed strangers don't bother me, because I posit that everyone is armed until proven different.

As far as my property goes, I invite strangers onto my property only under strictly limited and controlled circumstances -- for instance plumbers and such if I have repair work that needs doing. Such people are watched very carefully while on my property, so again it doesn't really matter if they're armed.

Among my friends, there are very strict rules:
1) If you didn't bring a gun with you, I'll show you where the emergency gun is kept.

2) If you're going to be consuming alcohol, your guns go into the safe or into the trunk of your vehicle. Your choice. Any vehicle keys stay with me also. I'm not losing friends due to intoxication-related carelessness. There will be cokes and tea if you want to stay armed or drive.

LawDog

wolfman97

Out in public I routinely stay in Condition Yellow, and I think of everyone as a possible threat. Armed strangers don't bother me, because I posit that everyone is armed until proven different.

Hmmmm, then, by that standard, if an invited guest brings a friend to one of my BBQs then I should consider him armed and a possible threat -- contrary to what others here have advised, that I should automatically consider them safe.

As far as my property goes, I invite strangers onto my property only under strictly limited and controlled circumstances -- for instance plumbers and such if I have repair work that needs doing.

Have you ever had a friend bring one of their friends that you didn't know to a party, BBQ, etc.? If so, did you grant or refuse entry based on your assumption above?

Such people are watched very carefully while on my property, so again it doesn't really matter if they're armed.

It would matter to me, simply because I don't want to have to babysit them when I should have been relaxing and enjoying my friends.

Among my friends, there are very strict rules:
1) If you didn't bring a gun with you, I'll show you where the emergency gun is kept.

Ever had an emergency that required you pass out the weapons?

2) If you're going to be consuming alcohol, your guns go into the safe or into the trunk of your vehicle. Your choice. Any vehicle keys stay with me also. I'm not losing friends due to intoxication-related carelessness. There will be cokes and tea if you want to stay armed or drive.

Quite commendable.

I am assuming there that you would inquire of their intentions and enforce the rule before they actually started consuming. And that, you would give them the option of either 1) complying with your rule whether they thought it was reasonable or not or 2) leaving immediately.

Hmmm, that sounds vaguely similar to what I might do. That doesn't mean you are anti-gun, does it?

Wingshooter

Ok,

Finally made it through this whole post. Let me say HOLY CRAP!!! What a long read. I think I had a seizure about the 5th page, but I'm much better now.

To answer the question:

I think Blackhawk summed it up best... I would quote him, but I don't remember which page it was on and I don't have the stength to go back and find it.

The only people that show up at my house are usually invited guest. They are welcome to be armed. I know how much of a pain it is to take a holster off a belt, I can't imagine doing it in the middle of the street standing by your car trying to be discreet. Wearing an IWB holster without a gun is not very comfortable. If I was having the "BBQ" and they showed up they are welcome. If they came with someone I know, they are welcome as well. If I can trust them to use my bathroom without rifling through my medicine cabinet or steal the good silver, then I think I can trust them with a gun on or about their person.

That point seems pretty moot to me. If I invited them over then I wouldn't place those kind of restrictions on them. That's rude.

If I don't know them and no one is with them to vouch for them, what are they doing at my house in the first place???

I'm armed on the street every day, I assume others are too. Big deal. Armed strangers are a good thing, one of them might save my bacon one day. I'd have to have them over for the next BBQ... and they would be welcome to wear their weapon however they chose.

p.s.

I forgot to add this:

Quite commendable.
I am assuming there that you would inquire of their intentions and enforce the rule before they actually started consuming. And that, you would give them the option of either 1) complying with your rule whether they thought it was reasonable or not or 2) leaving immediately.

You shouldn't have to ask what their intentions are. They are adults, they should have that part down without being told. I'm their friend, not their Mother. If you're gonna drink, the gun stays in the car. Among my friends this is so obvious that we've never even discussed it, it just happens. Where I come from this is common sense and is a non issue.

Thumper

Hmmm, if you are really carrying concealed, how would they know?

It matters little whether or not they know, Wolf. They've now put me in a position where I would be breaking the law by entering. So I don't.

I think you would be really srprised upr
But, then you must surely understand that people asking you to put away your weapon is going to be fairly common and, therefore, anyone who is outraged by such must spend a good deal of time outraged.

Wrong...very unusual to see those signs. Most business owners realize that such signs are financial suicide in our political environment. I understand that, wherever you are, things are different.

I think a lot of our arguument here is geographical. You can't understand the freedoms some of us enjoy because you've never enjoyed them.

(You'll note that I'm taking for granted here that you are the product of one of our more left leaning states. I'm comfortable with my assumption.)

I'm sure in whatever socialist political environment you find yourself in, you consider yourself a bastion of the Second Amendment. You should realize, however, that in a lot of areas, your opinions are considered controlling and quite anti. This should be obvious to you by now. I really don't understand the point of continued argument. You've made your stance plain.

Just don't try to claim to be on my side of the fence.

wolfman97

You shouldn't have to ask what their intentions are. They are adults, they should have that part down without being told. I'm their friend, not their Mother. If you're gonna drink, the gun stays in the car. Among my friends this is so obvious that we've never even discussed it, it just happens. Where I come from this is common sense and is a non issue.

I am glad you are so lucky to have sensible friends. Now, if you care to meet my former brother-in-law, I think even you would agree in short order that there are some idiots that shouldn't handle weapons.

wolfman97

Wrong...very unusual to see those signs. Most business owners realize that such signs are financial suicide in our political environment. I understand that, wherever you are, things are different.

I would venture to guess that open carry is not allowed in the states which comprise some 90 percent plus of the population.

I think a lot of our arguument here is geographical. You can't understand the freedoms some of us enjoy because you've never enjoyed them.

Well, it is a rare place that allows open carry. But I have lived in some of them, as I mentioned, and I can't recall ever seeing anyone carry openly so, even where it is allowed then apparently the vast majority of the public sees no particular need for it.

(You'll note that I'm taking for granted here that you are the product of one of our more left leaning states. I'm comfortable with my assumption.)

Well, I think that anyone who applies such labels as "left-leaning" has already left their thinking cap at home. It's my observation that people who apply such labels generally only do so to protect their prejudices.

I'm sure in whatever socialist political environment you find yourself in, you consider yourself a bastion of the Second Amendment.

I am not sure how one determines whether one environment is more socialist than another. It appears to me that people apply such labels on their own selective criteria because it is easier than actually thinking.

You should realize, however, that in a lot of areas, your opinions are considered controlling and quite anti. This should be obvious to you by now.

You mean, just like someone who puts limits on certain speech in their home is anti-First Amendment?

I really don't understand the point of continued argument. You've made your stance plain.

Well, in case you missed the obvious, other people replied to me and even asked me questions. You know, like you. If you didn't want to hear from me, then why did you post a message directed to me?

But, after a while I do get curious to see if anyone can really come up with an intelligent argument that holds up. Just for the sport of it, you know. Still waiting, of course.

Just don't try to claim to be on my side of the fence.

OK, as long as you don't claim to be in favor of free speech or religion.

Thumper

Well, I think that anyone who applies such labels as "left-leaning" has already left their thinking cap at home. It's my observation that people who apply such labels generally only do so to protect their prejudices.

Maybe I'm just being obtuse, Wolf. Do you mean to imply that certain areas aren't more "left-leaning" than others? Of course they are. No prejudice there, simply an understanding that a person's opinions and attitudes are affected by their environment.

I do get curious to see if anyone can really come up with an intelligent argument that holds up. Just for the sport of it, you know.

Argument against what? What is your stance exactly? You seem to be arguing many amorphous points...none well, though you seem to have convinced yourself that you have done a smash-up job.

I have to admit, your style of argument is a bit foreign to me: You post someone's quote, then proceed to make a somewhat rambling point that has nothing to do with the quote you posted?
Also, your fondness for the false inductive inference would shame any 9th grade debate teacher. Perhaps it's just above my head.

I don't want to just throw my hands up here, though...

Again, What point are you trying to make with regards to this particular thread?

Wingshooter

I am glad you are so lucky to have sensible friends. Now, if you care to meet my former brother-in-law, I think even you would agree in short order that there are some idiots that shouldn't handle weapons.

There probably are, but that isn't up to me. If I like someone enough to invite them to my house, then what's in their pocket is really none of my business unless they cause a problem. If they act accordingly... they will probably get an invite back.

I've only had to ask one person to leave a social function early( as an aside he was a co-worker of my roommates) and that was because he was trying to pick a fight with a friend of mine. We parted on good terms and he was extremely polite after he was shown the error of his ways ;) . He was never invited back though.

Wingshooter

I forgot to ask:

Why does your brother in law have no business with a firearm? Did he handle one unsafely? If so is he generally an unsafe person or is he just unfamiliar with firearms?

I would think that this would be a good opportunity for a responsible person to offer to educate instead of condemn, especially if said person is a relative (by either blood or marriage).

Just something to ponder...

El Rojo

I think what we must focus on is the good that came out of this thread for the people who read it and didn't try to get involved. I think they realize that it is difficult for a person to support the right of the people to keep and bear arms while at the same time having so many anti-gun justifications to limit those rights all in the name of security. Everytime Wolfman tries to justify himself, it sounds exactly like an anti-gun argument. The lastest being, "How likely are you to really need a gun? Since it isn't a high probability and since only 75% of people don't think they will ever need a gun, then obviously it is ok for me to regulate those people's rights."

Sorry Wolfman, we tried, but as far as the right to keep and bear arms go, you are pretty left leaning. I guess the good thing is that as long as you just apply that to your own little world, we might be ok. I just hope you truly don't hold that same attitude in public as you claim you don't. I can't get past the hypocricy of it all, but hey, I tried to point it out to you and you just don't see it. You will continue to be blinded by your sense of "security" by disarming those around you. And I am sure it will work for you too.

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
Hmmmm, then, by that standard, if an invited guest brings a friend to one of my BBQs then I should consider him armed and a possible threat -- contrary to what others here have advised, that I should automatically consider them safe.

If I label someone a 'friend', then they are worthy of my trust. If my friend brings someone to a party of mine, then that stranger is either unarmed or can be trusted with a weapon. It is good manners, however, for my friend to quietly inform me that his guest is carrying.

Have you ever had a friend bring one of their friends that you didn't know to a party, BBQ, etc.? If so, did you grant or refuse entry based on your assumption above?

See above.

It would matter to me, simply because I don't want to have to babysit them when I should have been relaxing and enjoying my friends.

In regards to workmen, I am not watching so much to prevent assaults, but to prevent items and objects of value, sentimental or otherwise, from disappearing. As for unknown guests during social occasions, see above.

Ever had an emergency that required you pass out the weapons?

Yes.

All of my friends already know of that rule, and routinely practice it at their parties. Even so, during my duties as host, I gently inform people who may not know of the 'no guns whilst drinking' rule during my greetings and introductions.

LawDog

John28226

Thank you, Thumper

Thank you for posting the question and for starting a new thread. If one supports the 2nd Amendment he must, by necessity, support the right of strangers to carry weapons - unless you know everyone in the country that is!

In general the laws of the land make a presumption of innocence; I think that would apply here too. Unless someone has proven themselves untrustworthy they should have the same rights I claim for myself.

No doubt antis have discovered this forum. I am confident that they would write such things as, "I support the right to CCW, but....." or "if your having a gun makes someone else uncomfortable ..." etc. In my view these posters are no different from those who stop prayer, or references to God, or any other of the rights we all have.

I have a word or two for them but no doubt that would get me kicked off the forum and I do learn a lot from others here.

John
Charlotte, NC
USA

pax

In honor of Halloween ...?

Did congress declare this to be Zombie Thread Week or something?

:confused: :D

pax