Armed strangers: Good or bad?

wolfman97

I know I should have let this die but why does everybody let strangers in their house?

There were two situations posed. One was a customer in a store, unknown to the owners. Obviously, there is a reason for letting in strangers in that case.

The other case was, you are holding a barbecue and an invited guest brings a friend you don't know for purely social reasons. I don't know about you, but that has happened to me quite frequently.

wolfman97

Let me ask a few questions that I asked before but nobody seems to have answered (forgive me if I missed the answers):

For all you people who get so offended that someone might ask you to put away your handgun as you entered their house:

1) Do you carry openly everywhere you go?

2) If so, where do you live? The reason I ask is that I don't know of any major cities I have ever been in where open carry is allowed.

3) You have never had anyone (store owner, homeowner, etc.) ask you to put your weapon away? This I would find mighty surprising, too.

wolfman97

Now on the issue of people producing firearms in a gun store......
You don't have to unload where I work but you must tell me that you intend to produce your firearm. There is a sign. We go through a procedure to make your gun safe before you put it up on the counter.

In other words, your management doesn't entirely trust people to handle guns safely.

I will repeat again...one or two drinks fine!
Sitting for a session....don't drive or handle firearms if you suspect you will soon be in an impaired state.

And when they have the third or fourth one and are handling the firearm then, as the homeowner, you are rather duty bound to disarm a drunk. Good luck, because you will probably need it at that point.

wolfman97

Just answer why you trust me to be armed in public but not on your property? Answering "because it is my property" is not valid. Public property is your property as much as it is mine.

That question was answered earlier. Because, if you are on my property then I am possibly liable for anything stupid that you might do. In a sense, I became your legal babysitter. On public property that doesn't apply.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
I once carried openly...before CCW in GA made it illegal. Never had a problem.

I don't have a problem with you asking me not to be armed in your house or your business. I just choose not to visit at your house or shop at your business. And I'm not offended...just elsewhere.

wolfman97

I once carried openly...before CCW in GA made it illegal. Never had a problem.

Everywhere? And how long ago was that?

I don't have a problem with you asking me not to be armed in your house or your business. I just choose not to visit at your house or shop at your business. And I'm not offended...just elsewhere.

Just as it should be.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Everywhere? And how long ago was that?

Back in the mid-70's and yes, about everywhere...grocery store, people's homes, drug store, liquor store. I didn't carry in church.
I've open carried in police stations back then and banks. Now this wasn't in a major city, granted, but I've walked down Broad Street in Augusta, Georgia carrying openly and nobody blinked an eye.

On the other hand, in those days you still saw pickups with rifle racks that were full of rifles...sitting parked, unattended, and with the windows rolled down. It was a different time.

wolfman97

That's pretty much what I would expect -- long time ago, not in any big city. I was in Augusta for six months in 1966 and never saw a person carry any firearm openly. I don't know whether it was illegal or nobody ever saw the need for it. But, as you said, a much different time back then.

I can't think of any city of any real size that I have been in the last thirty years or more where you could carry openly everywhere (anywhere?) without an issue. So . . . if anyone is outraged that someone would ask them to put their weapon away (as some have expressed here) then my conclusion is that either they live in the backwoods and don't get to the city much or they must spend most of their time outraged.

wolfman97

How is that not exactly the anti- position on gun rights?

Same way that you have a right to say anything you want, just not on my property -- is not anti-free speech.

Same way that you and your friends can get naked and smear peanut butter on your bodies and lick each other's posteriors as your free practice of religion - but not on my property -- is not anti-freedom of religion.

wolfman97

I lived in AZ for a year when I was a kid, and my mother lived in Phoenix for about twenty years and I visited her a number of times. In all those times, I can't ever recall seeing anyone packing a gun on their hip (other than cops, of course). I am not sure of what the laws are there but, if open carry is allowed, then I would conclude that thevast majority of people see no need to carry openly,

El Rojo

And when they have the third or fourth one and are handling the firearm then, as the homeowner, you are rather duty bound to disarm a drunk.

Duty bound to disarm a drunk? I don't know how to disarm a drunk. I think I would rather ask them to leave. Since when am I liable for the actions of another? If I ask him to leave, or I ask them to shape up and they don't. I would simply call the police and let them handle it. I think Wolfman assumes way too much liability for the actions of others.

I can't think of any city of any real size that I have been in the last thirty years or more where you could carry openly everywhere (anywhere?) without an issue. So . . . if anyone is outraged that someone would ask them to put their weapon away (as some have expressed here) then my conclusion is that either they live in the backwoods and don't get to the city much or they must spend most of their time outraged.

Ah the ever classic rationalization of, "I know what I am doing is not necessarily correct, but since other people are doing it, I feel justified." In essence, I know Wolfman still believes in his right to do what he wants on his property. Again, this was never a point. However, he now brings up that since big city liberals who distrust firearms and firearms owners would never let an openly armed man walk around unchallenged in a large city, Wolfman would take the same actions of the big city anti-gun sheeple.

Wolfman, what is the point of your posts? You simply continue to destroy the arguments you might have had with more and more failed justifications and flawed logic. Now you add in little tidbits of information stating how you never see people open carry. What is the point? Why is it relevant that we know your opinion of "I am not sure of what the laws are there but, if open carry is allowed, then I would conclude that thevast majority of people see no need to carry openly,"? So they all carry concealed. What is your point? Are you making an argument against open carry?

I just don't your point of continuing your posts on this thread. The more you talk, the more I get the idea you don't have the capacity to see the harm you are doing to this cause. I don't particularly care what the sheeple in a big city think, I already know what they think because I lived there for two years. I can think for myself. And I think that if I expect to retain my rights to self-defense, I have to extend those same rights to others as well. If I feel a need to be armed, I would expect my friends and their friends to see that need too. But as you so aptly pointed out, big city sheeple can't quite coprehend what it means to provide for your own self-defense. They expect "the authorities" to do it for them. They delegate their self-defense rights to others. Fine by me. You bought into that idea too by thinking you are going to be "the authorities" and provide their personal self-defense for them. Congratulations. Enjoy. You have that right. Don't blame me though if I treat you like the rest of "the authorities" that think I don't need to protect myself in the gun-free zones like schools, post offices, and in some states churches. I don't believe you and I will continue to carry and you won't know about it.

This has nothing to do with disrespect to you or me feeling like I am threatened and have to be armed around you. The same dis-trust you have of other pistol packers in your home is the same dis-trust I have of "the authorities" to provide for my safety. You expect me to trust you to be the keeper of firearms in your house yet you don't trust me with a firearm? Your desire for self-preservation and security are the same desires I have. The only difference is I realize that I am responsible for my own safety, no matter where I am. I am not going to rely on your to protect me while I am at your house.

I know your response to all of this, "Why do you need to be armed around me? Why do you need a gun at my house?" Anyone recognize that logic and reasoning? Why does anyone need a gun at a high school football game? Why does anyone need a gun while at church? Same anti-gun, distrust of gun owners rationalization.

Wolfman, I know I am not going to get you to concede. That is fine. I just hope you open your blinders long enough to realize this has nothing to do with property rights. Zero. This has to do with the attitude that you display. It really doesn't have anything to do with an actual situation we might run into. If I come over to your party, I am going to be concealing and you are not going to know about it and if you do, it won't be until after I leave. Being a responsible gun owner, I am not going to be drinking at your party because I am carrying and because I am going to have to drive home. Your distrust of other firearms owners and you belief that since so many others don't feel a need to be armed, others shouldn't need to be armed around me is what we are so against.

I will tell you one thing, I would love to go shooting with you someday. A shooter is a shooter. We could enjoy each other's company on the firing line I am sure. I don't hold any hard feelings here.

bastiat

I feel like CR Sam because I see all this typing and I just have a simple answer:

If I didn't trust someone enough to let them have a gun, I wouldn't trust them to be in my home.

Besides, believing someone with bad intent is going to voluntarily put their concealed gun on your shelf is like thinking criminals are going to register their guns. :rolleyes:

OF

Sam would have stopped at the word 'home', but you just couldn't help yourself could you! ;)

- Gabe

Fred Hansen

Want to be trusted? Fine. Prove to me you are competent. This applies to a lot more than guns by the way.
One of the dumbest of all human concepts "prove you can be trusted". There is precious little more useless than "proof" of trust. To date in all of human history, everyone that has been betrayed by a fellow human being, believed that they had some proof of trust of the person that betrayed them.

I have no doubt at all that after Cain slew Abel (and Adam and Eve were betrayed) that there was some talk of having other people prove that they could be "trusted" before they were allowed to handle rocks. Of the millions of people who have since taken other human lives using rocks, I would bet the farm that 50%+ had proven they could be trusted.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Strive for situational awareness. All else is fickle.

PATH

This is the thread that never ends
It just goes on and on my friends
Some people started posting to it at some time long ago
and they'll continue posting to it just because they're in the know

This is the thread that never ends.........:D

I love this place! LOL!!!!;)

wolfman97

Duty bound to disarm a drunk?

Yes.

I don't know how to disarm a drunk. I think I would rather ask them to leave.

Well, whatever you choose to do, at that point you are dealing with a drunk with a gun. That's not how I want to spend my leisure time.

Since when am I liable for the actions of another?

Since they are on your property with other invited guests.

If I ask him to leave, or I ask them to shape up and they don't. I would simply call the police and let them handle it.

Uh huh. So, maybe an hour later, the SWAT team shows up and surrounds your house. And while you were waiting for the cops to arrive, you spent the time arguing with a drunk with a gun while your invited guests left in a big hurry. Well, it will make one memorable barbecue. Personally, I would rather just skip all that fun.

I think Wolfman assumes way too much liability for the actions of others.

No, it is just standard tort liability law. The bottom line is that, if that guy comes on your property, then you basically became his babysitter. Look it up yourself (Prosser on Torts is the standard textbook) or ask a lawyer if you don't believe me.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah the ever classic rationalization of, "I know what I am doing is not necessarily correct, but since other people are doing it, I feel justified."

I don't know where you got that from what I said. I was simply commenting on the fact that people carrying openly is a pretty rare thing most places I have been. Therefore, anyone who pretends to be greatly offended that someone would ask them to check their piece must not do much traveling to major metropolitan areas. The reason being that, whether you like it or agree with it or not, the fact is that most cities of any size don't allow people to carry guns openly. And, even when those cities do allow it, it seems to be fairly rare and private property owners still impose their own restrictions. Therefore, either they live in the backwoods, or their outrage is phony because they must have encountered this situation many times before.

That doesn't have anything to do with justifying anything I think.

In essence, I know Wolfman still believes in his right to do what he wants on his property. Again, this was never a point.

It was the original point that started the thread, and it was a specific point that I brought up in my example. I know it's a long thread, but if you care to read it, that's what you will find, explained many times.

However, he now brings up that since big city liberals who distrust firearms and firearms owners would never let an openly armed man walk around unchallenged in a large city, Wolfman would take the same actions of the big city anti-gun sheeple.

No, you missed something. I don't know that I would recognize a "big city liberal" without their "big city liberal" t-shirt, and I never get so silly as to try to label people with such simple labels, anyway.

If you will read it again, carefully this time, I was commenting on the fact that it is a pretty rare place where open carry is allowed and, therefore, any gun owner who travels very far outside their property will routinely run into people who will ask them to put it away -- therefore it is pretty strange to act so outraged.

Wolfman, what is the point of your posts?

To discuss the issues. Of course, along the way, it helps if people will stick to what I said, rather than supplying their own meanings when they reply.

You simply continue to destroy the arguments you might have had with more and more failed justifications and flawed logic.

Well, before you make that judgment, how about sticking to what I actually said?

Now you add in little tidbits of information stating how you never see people open carry. What is the point? Why is it relevant that we know your opinion of "I am not sure of what the laws are there but, if open carry is allowed, then I would conclude that thevast majority of people see no need to carry openly,"? So they all carry concealed. What is your point? Are you making an argument against open carry?

No, I am noting that it ain't all that unusual to go places where people object to open carry, therefore I wonder why the people here get so inflamed about the idea that someone might object.

I just don't your point of continuing your posts on this thread.

Because someone responded to what I said and asked me some questions? Of course, I could just refuse to answer you. But, if you didn't want responses, then why did you post?

And, if you care to read back through the thread, you will find that I didn't respond to anything for a long time and the thread went on without me -- even with some people agreeing with me, no less -- so I don't think I am the problem here.

The more you talk, the more I get the idea you don't have the capacity to see the harm you are doing to this cause.

Well, actually, I have been working with people to train them how to promote controversial political causes for the last decade or so, and achieved some measure of success with it. Just FYI, I have some professional experience in the Public Relations field and have taught at least a few semi-prominent people how to make their points more effectively. Of course, there are always people who don't understand the value of what I advised them.

I don't particularly care what the sheeple in a big city think, I already know what they think because I lived there for two years.

That's fine if you don't care. Just don't pretend to be hugely outraged (or even surprised) if you run into a situation that is pretty much the standard across the country (e.g., people will ask you to put your gun away).

I can think for myself.

Good for you, but that wasn't the issue. I can't recall questioning your ability to think for yourself. I might question your critical reading, however.

And I think that if I expect to retain my rights to self-defense, I have to extend those same rights to others as well. If I feel a need to be armed, I would expect my friends and their friends to see that need too.

Hmmm, then, if you are on my property and I tell you that I have never seen the need for anyone to be armed on my property, then whose feelings should prevail? Yours just because you happen to own a gun and feel a threat that no one else on my property feels?

But as you so aptly pointed out, big city sheeple can't quite coprehend what it means to provide for your own self-defense.

I don't think I mentioned "big city sheeple" or what they might comprehend. I simply stated a fact about the environment you will find if you travel most places in the US. You know, same as I would tell you it rains a lot of places, so don't be surprised if you need a rain coat.

They expect "the authorities" to do it for them. They delegate their self-defense rights to others. Fine by me. You bought into that idea too by thinking you are going to be "the authorities" and provide their personal self-defense for them. Congratulations. Enjoy. You have that right.

Actually, there has never been a situation at any of my barbecues that required anyone to defend themselves with a gun, so protecting everyone has been a pretty easy job so far, and I am happy to say that I have been 100 percent successful -- all my guests have left alive and uninjured. Can't get much better than that. As I said, if Al Qaeda attacks, I will be happy to pass out the guns and ammo and let you help.

But, whether you agree with it or not, that's the case. And that's what the original question was about.

Don't blame me though if I treat you like the rest of "the authorities" that think I don't need to protect myself in the gun-free zones like schools, post offices, and in some states churches. I don't believe you and I will continue to carry and you won't know about it.

If you have the good sense to keep the gun from becoming an issue with the people around you, that's the first step. But, the original question related to a person who went onto someone else's property and was asked to check his weapon. Whether you agree with what they did or not, the property owner is boss as long as you are on their property. Therefore, you either check your weapon or don't go on their property but, either way, you really don't have a bitch.

As a matter of fact, as I recall from childhood, whenever we went anywhere with a weapon we were required to carry the weapon in a manner that anyone fifty feet away could see that the weapon was safe. Bolt visibly open, muzzle in a safe direction, etc. That applied like God's law even on the shooting range itself, so I don't find it all that strange.

This has nothing to do with disrespect to you or me feeling like I am threatened and have to be armed around you.

Thanks. I understand that. And I also understand that it feels good to have a pistol on your hip.

wolfman97

The same dis-trust you have of other pistol packers in your home is the same dis-trust I have of "the authorities" to provide for my safety.

And it probably comes from the same general source -- bad things happened when you did trust them without checking.

You expect me to trust you to be the keeper of firearms in your house yet you don't trust me with a firearm?

As long as 1) you are on my property and 2) I don't know you, then "yes". Same reason I assume all guns are loaded and dangerous until I have personally opened the action and cleared them.

Your desire for self-preservation and security are the same desires I have. The only difference is I realize that I am responsible for my own safety, no matter where I am. I am not going to rely on your to protect me while I am at your house.

That's fine. Just remember that I don't want to spend my time babysitting strangers with guns at my house. If you decide that you absolutely can't go anywhere that you don't have a pistol on your hip, that's fine too -- just get used to the fact that you won't be going a lot of places.

I know your response to all of this, "Why do you need to be armed around me? Why do you need a gun at my house?" Anyone recognize that logic and reasoning? Why does anyone need a gun at a high school football game? Why does anyone need a gun while at church? Same anti-gun, distrust of gun owners rationalization.

Come to think of it, I have been going to all high school football games and churches for about 55 years now and I can't think of any occasion when a gun was needed, so it seems like a fair question. Do you think that just because someone had the money to buy a gun then they should automatically be trusted? And are you willing to assume legal responsibility for people with guns that you don't know?

Wolfman, I know I am not going to get you to concede. That is fine.

Maybe, maybe not, but I am certain you will do better if you stick to what I said, rather than supplying your own interpretation which isn't entirely accurate.

I just hope you open your blinders long enough to realize this has nothing to do with property rights. Zero.

If you will read back through the thread, you will find that the two questions posed were both related to carrying a gun on someone else's private property, and their wishes about same.

This has to do with the attitude that you display. It really doesn't have anything to do with an actual situation we might run into.

Read the thread again. You will find that I posed a question related to actual situations that happen to me all the time, and the original post was about an actual situation that occurred.

If I come over to your party, I am going to be concealing and you are not going to know about it and if you do, it won't be until after I leave. Being a responsible gun owner, I am not going to be drinking at your party because I am carrying and because I am going to have to drive home.

That's great. But how exactly would I know that if you showed up at my barbecue? How would I know you from the fool in the next town who looks, walks, and talks just like you but thinks three six packs of beer and a 9mm is great fun?

Your distrust of other firearms owners and you belief that since so many others don't feel a need to be armed, others shouldn't need to be armed around me is what we are so against.

Early on in the thread, I advised someone to repeat the words "on my property" a few hundred times. you might try it. Try adding the words "where I have legal liability for your actions" If you aren't on my property, I am content to let the cops worry about you, as they may see fit.

I will tell you one thing, I would love to go shooting with you someday. A shooter is a shooter. We could enjoy each other's company on the firing line I am sure. I don't hold any hard feelings here.

Thanks. I feel pretty much the same way and we might very well enjoy a day shooting. However, I don't go shooting with a lot of people because of these same general concerns. If we go shooting, we must both agree to follow the strictest safety rules and, if you see someone violate those rules even accidentally, then you should politely remind them of the rules and take appropriate steps to see that the rules are followed. You may think "that goes without saying" but I always feel better if it is actually said and explicitly agreed. You know, that's just what I was taught from the first time that I ever touched a gun.

wolfman97

If I didn't trust someone enough to let them have a gun, I wouldn't trust them to be in my home.

So you have never had a friend bring one of their friends that you don't know over to your house?

wolfman97

One of the dumbest of all human concepts "prove you can be trusted".

If you are on my property, it is no dumber than "personally verify that all guns are unloaded and safe."

There is precious little more useless than "proof" of trust. To date in all of human history, everyone that has been betrayed by a fellow human being, believed that they had some proof of trust of the person that betrayed them.

I have no doubt at all that after Cain slew Abel (and Adam and Eve were betrayed) that there was some talk of having other people prove that they could be "trusted" before they were allowed to handle rocks. Of the millions of people who have since taken other human lives using rocks, I would bet the farm that 50%+ had proven they could be trusted.

I would agree that people often violate trust, even otherwise good people, sometimes. That's why I was always taught to personally monitor every gun near me and constantly make sure it is safe, even if the weapon is being carried by someone else.

If that's the case, then the safest thing to do would be to ask them to check their weapons upon entry.

Strive for situational awareness. All else is fickle.

I agree. A corollary would be to control the situation so you don't have to spend so much time being "situationally aware" (i.e., babysitting people you don't know.)