AR rifles for hunting?

benEzra

Most gun owners won’t admit that the AR is indeed an Assault Weapon.
A civilian AR is not an Assault Rifle, but it is an Assault Weapon as defined by the AWB and several state laws.
An AR was not an “assault weapon” under the 1994-2004 Federal AWB if it had a smooth muzzle or pinned-on brake, a non-adjustable or pinned stock, and no bayonet lug.

An AR is not an “assault weapon” in New York or most other AWB states if it meets those same criteria and has a straight-back grip instead of a pistol grip. Just like a Ruger Mini-14 isn’t an “assault weapon” with a straight stock but is with a protruding handgrip.

“Assault weapon” is an intentionally deceptive scare term for a Title 1 civilian semiauto that has a certain style stock, and that’s it.

attachment.php

Top rifle, 50-state legal; middle rifle, “assault weapon” in NY, CA, etc.; bottom rifle, “assault weapon” under 1994 Federal AWB.

That’s the same gun, 2 minutes apart.

Attachments

• 6C44E779-E7B3-4FC7-8AB5-061F25E71B53.jpeg
    6C44E779-E7B3-4FC7-8AB5-061F25E71B53.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 117

rickyrick

My point was:
An Assault Weapon is defined by many laws and is a real term. I understand that neutered ARs don’t fit the current definitions, but I’m sure in the future the definition will be expanded.

I also hunt archery--you should hear the absolutely compelling reasons why any hunter worth their salt should never need a firearm of any kind to hunt with.

I know a guy that hunts with a knife. You should hear the absolutely compelling reasons why any hunter worth their salt should never need any sort of projectile to hunt with, LOL.

Just sounds like more of the "If you don't hunt the way I hunt, you are doing it wrong" mindset.

JeepHammer, can you explain how faster twist rates damage barrels? I have not heard of this before.

"Damage" may not be the best wording, but a faster twist rate will wear more. That is because the twist converts forward motion into spin. This process involves friction. The more spin involved coming from more twist (everything else being equal) means more friction and more friction means more wear. The result can be a shorter barrel life.

SPEMack618

My cheap, heavily discounted Ruger AR-556 will shoot pretty good groups at 100 yards with Sierra MatchKing bullets as factory loaded by Federal in thier premium lines. And that's with my crappy eye sight and iron sights. Must be that miliatry training with that "military grade" fully semi auto rifle.

You realize, not everyone hunts with a AR for quick follow up shots. And those lovingly hand crafted bolt guns often wouldn't shoot worth a cuss right out of the box.

Functionally, there is nothing different between a Remington Model 8, as first designed in 1906 by J.M. Browning and a modern day AR- pattern rifle. They are semi automatic rifles feeding from a magazine.

rickyrick

I bet the bolt gun guys have more than round loaded in the rifle to hunt, if the rifle is capable of it. I bet there’s some
Guys that only load one as well. Like I posted earlier, I usually just load 3-5 rounds in a semi to hunt anyway and very seldom needed a second shot. Sometimes never got the chance to fire the first shot.
We are not just spraying rounds in the general direction of the game.

Don Fischer

I've had a lot of bolt action's rifle's that would do .5" any day if I did my part. In fact I have several right now. I have heard of very accurate AR type rifle's in fact have a brother that think's his is the cat's meow! He brought it over a few years back bragging about it so we went out shooting and he got his eye wiped. Can't doubt that there are AR type's than can shoot very well though.

The first AR type rifle nobody ever complained about and in fact don's still today, Ruger Ranch Rifle! I have never had a desire for one of them either but they do resemble an AR type just not named after some military term! I think between that and the looks is what really started the problem. And of course the imagined need for high capacity magazine and the final blow the bump stock. So manufactures design and sell these military appearing rifle's and name them to sound like military weapons and now some idiot bring's out the bump stock that appears to make the thing run with a full auto rifle but technically is not and we wonder why the anti's are upset? Your kidding, right? If I remember right the first model of assault rifle, before the M-16 was a very similar rifle called the AR-15! Now I don't know that the AR stood for assault rifle but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't! Notice anything about the present AR-15 and the prototype military AR-15? We are our own worst enemy! Ya notice that nobody scream's about the Ruger Ranch Rifle, the mod 7400 Rem or the Browning BAR? Come to think of it I don't hear the M-14, the M-2 carbine or even the Colt 1911 being screamed about. Other than the 45, it's all in the looks!