Anyone use CB shorts/longs for silent shooting of pests?

Bill DeShivs

Gut shot, so they just run away and die."
You should be ashamed. Nothing-pests included, deserves to suffer. If you can't make a clean kill, you shouldn't shoot.

hoytinak

You should be ashamed. Nothing-pests included, deserves to suffer. If you can't make a clean kill, you shouldn't shoot.

Agreed. I normally go for a quick head shot but I missed once and hit a skunk in the gut, he hurt too bad to run but was walking away pretty fast. I ended up getting within 10' of him (I just knew I was gonna get sprayed, but I think that was the last thing on his mind) just so I could make a proper head shot and end his suffering.

jlbpa

.ooops wrong picture

10-12 feet with aguilar colibri

Attachments

• snubbieandaguilar.jpg
    snubbieandaguilar.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 96

mega twin

A coon can be a very dangerous animal if cornered. I would definitely shoot to kill if the need arose. I'd hate to think that a neighborhood kid got hurt by a wounded animal that I had "gut-shot",so I wouldn't have to dispose of it.

markj

I use a winchester semi auto rifle in .22 short. It makes less noise than a firecracker. Shoots very accurattly too. We have shot a lot of varmints with it.

saltydog452

.22CB Caps don't make much racket, even in a cheap, pot metal RG revolver.

In a pistol, .22 Shorts are louder than you might imagine.

salty

Piper Cub

I have dispatched a few rodents in my back yard with 22CBs in my Remington M512. It is a bolt action with a tube mag. It has a 22inch barrel. The longer the barrel the quieter the CB round. I can't own silencers in my state.

shortwave

I use Rem. 22 SubSonics shot out of a rifle for all (4 legged) pest control. Enough power to do the job and very easy on the ears.

cbrgator

How loud would a .22 CB be out of a Savage Mark II (20.75" barrel). The rifle is for .22lr, is .22 cb safe to shoot out of it?

hoytinak

I shot a couple CB shorts outta my Savage MKII and they were very quiet, much quieter than my 10/22. The longer the barrel the quieter they'll be.

WARRIOR I

CB caps from my 77/22 are very quiet. Colibris are almost
silent, like using a supressor, but low powered so that I
have to hold over just a hair if theres any distance involved.

Anyway, you might want to try a gas powered leaf blower
first. No kidding, they really hate the noise and wind blast.
The last possum I got rid of I used this method, and after
3 or four encounters he didn't come back.

Good Luck

Piper Cub

+1 Marlin 981T
The CB round will have a hard time to take out opossum and/or raccoons Maybe it you hit em in the eye socket?

peejman

I've dispatched many a squirrel with CB's out of an old Rem rifle. Works great under 50 yds if you're a reasonable shot. They sound about like a high powered pellet gun (had one of those too). Hammering nails outside is louder.

I don't know this personally, but I've heard rumors that they'll take down nuisance deer at close range. So they're not something to take lightly.

hardluk1

BillDeshivs The coon hunters around here after they turn there dogs loose and after chase'n them up a tree then gut shoot them so there dogs can eat them up or get ate,depends some on the coon . Go whine to them. I get these darn coons in the bird house's ,feeders and even stand to bitch at the deer in the deer feed till they try to stomp them in the ground. After a week or two of controled ratcoon reduction they are gone. Don't real care if they suffer some ,i spend to much time rebuilding bird houses and try'n to keep the bandits out all ready. And no blood to bleach off. Oh they do die about 80 feet out regularly, just off the grass and in the tree line.

rnr

cbrgator

How loud would a .22 CB be out of a Savage Mark II (20.75" barrel). The rifle is for .22lr, is .22 cb safe to shoot out of it?

Should be quieter than a pellet gun. My 39A is that quiet. In my 10/22 the action cycling is louder than the report of the bullet.

Use the cb longs. Same length as LR, but same powder (or lack there of) as a CB short.

Drummer101

I have a Talon SS CO2 and I have no qualms about getting little things with it (for rabbits and such I would prefer to have an air tank).

Hitting the target is louder than firing it, I used to use it in my backyard till the local laws changed.

hardluk1

rnr The cb's sound like ,,, all i hear setting behind my wife when shooting is the trigger slapping the round out of a rem. scoremaster. Maybe quiter than a cap gun. Just a very mild pop. She can shoot one at 10feet and bolt another round and shoot the second one,thats pretty quite. Agullia has a couple that are even quiter. The cb will leave a carbon build up that will be as big as the difference between a LR and a CB. Put a wet nylon brush in there and just spin it with a drill then some cotton patch on the brush and spin a couple times and the chamber should be like new. Like a 38 in a 357 will do.