anybody break Cheapshooter's golden rule of gun ownership?

silvermane_1

today i broke Cheapshooter's golden rule of ownership, i traded my IAI Automag 4 for a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger the "six gun" model, it came with the factory box, owner's manual and scope mounts and two boxes of Hornady ammo. so to all of my fellow TFL members, do you folks have any thoughts, suggestions or stories to share? thanks :)

Last edited:

CajunBass

You mean never sell or trade a gun? Is that the one?

Shoot, I buy, sell, trade, and swap them all the time. They're just things, meant to be bought and sold. I don't get emotionally attached to them.

TripHlx

I don't think I will ever sell another gun, only one I ever sold was a Taurus revolver (don't remember model, sorry) in .357 Mag that I bought from my father. I needed the money, but regretted it almost immediately after.

I know they don't have a great rep, but that was one of the sweetest shooting guns I've ever owned. I assume I just got lucky with that one, haven't really considered replacing it with another Taurus, mostly because of their current reputation. I still miss that gun, tons of fun at the range.

I mostly console myself with my Ruger SP-101 these days, hoping to dip into the S&W pool soon. :D

JWT

I'm OK with trading a gun in for a different one. Cannot sell one, just doesn't seem right.

highpower3006

I have tried to keep every gun, but sometimes financial situations arise and then they have to go. Lately though, I have been on a buying spree (17 firearms in 2012) and have only sold a couple.

I just put some money down on an unfired S&W 29-2 and a NIB 57, so I am off to a good start for 2013.

baddarryl

I recently sold a G26 and G17 to get a G19. I did that to down size a little. I kinda miss that 17 though. I am otherwise very hesitant to sell anything.

jmfc606

I break that rule CONSTANTLY!! I have a few regrets, tops on the list are a
Delta Elite, Too many S&W revolvers to list, Ruger Redhawks in 41 mag 7.5" blue and 5.5 stainless, old model Blackhawks, etc,etc I need to stop now before I throw up and since this is the handgun section I won't let any of the rifles or shot guns creep into this thread. STUPID,STUPID,STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prof Young

Selling to get better quality

Shooters:

I've been selling off my cheap guns to get guns of better quality.

If I kept everything I'd have guns that sat in the safe and wouldn't see the light of day for a long time.

So far I've sold off a hi-point 9mm, a super comanchee 45/410, a remington 1100 12 ga., a rem nylon 22 lr, a rem 1187 20 ga, an older traditions in-line muzzle loader, and a Rem model 7 chambered in 223.

My latest additions include a Savage in 223, a Henry Big Boy Golden in 45C, a Winchester 13 12g a with both a vent rib barrel and a slug barrel, and the most recent addition is a Beretta 92 FS.

It's fun stuff. I've been looking at the new Savage 42 as it looks like the perfect squirrel gun. May just have to buy that one out right without selling anything first.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

barnbwt

I've only sold one gun, a Franchi I-12 which fit me so badly I couldn't hit jack with it, and didn't feel too bad about losing a couple hundred on it to fund a Franchi O/U that's like an extension of my arm.

TCB

Indi

I'm guilty, but nothing recent. I've sold 2 m1 garands(cai builds), 1 mak90, xds, xdmc3.8(45acp), 1 m1 Tommy gun, 1 ar, 1 p12.45. I miss some of them but I'm enjoying what I bought even more.

jason_iowa

Constantly. If I see a good deal on something I don't really want Ill buy it to trade or resell. I generally end up selling em to friends for what I paid but sometimes I up sell or trade up on something I want.

There are guns I won't sell or trade for sentimental reasons other then that they are simply a commodity to me. No different then silver or gold where I try to buy low and sell high. I do try to hang on to things for at least a year just in case I decide there is a place for it in my collection. After that I cut it loose. I have some regrets yes. Most regrets are guns I passed up buying though. Not ones I sold or traded later.

Sorry Cheapshooter I am a bad grasshopper...

giaquir

Shoot, I buy, sell, trade, and swap them all the time. They're just things, meant to be bought and sold. I don't get emotionally attached to them.

I do the same thing,whenever something different comes along,
old or new. I'll trade a gun in to giver her a try.
I have a core group of guns that I won't likely trade---BUT WHO KNOWS!
Most are "play things" for fun. I've gone from revolvers
to autos back to revolvers and now I'm in to six shooters and lever
actions that shoot handgun bullets.

Niantician

I've sold (in order) a
Walther P22- Cheap fun, useless though
Rem 7600 308- Not what I thought it would be
Taurus Pt145-great gun but no ambi safety
Mossberg 590A1-too one dimensional
Ruger 96/17 lever- selling it was the worst mistake Ive ever made sober
XD9 sub- Great gun , but I wanted something different
Taurus TCP 380- Good cheap gun, but I discovered I don't like guns that small

Of those, I really regret selling the Ruger. It was very accurate, very nice looking, and now very hard to find.
I dont regret selling the XD because I can always get another. But I miss it from time to time.

lockedcj7

I've sold and traded away many guns for lots of reasons. Sometimes I get rid of them because I don't shoot them well or they just don't have a niche in my safe. Other times, I've traded so I could upgrade. Virtually every time I've sold a gun specifically to raise money, it's been a sacrifice and I've regretted it. Here are some guns that I've sold and not regretted.

Ruger Security Six (cylinder would bind in DA mode)
Star Firestar (great little gun but nothing special)
Ruger Vaquero (thought I was getting into CAS but didn't)
S&W 66 snubbie (too many similar guns)
Charter bulldog .44 (light strike and often failed to fire)
Ruger P95 (bought it on a whim but it was too clunky)

I'm sure there are many others that I can't think of at the moment. Maybe later I'll list the ones I've regretted. I won't even go into the long guns...

mrt949

I have done it on my own and theives have taken guns away .Over the years of gun ownership .They are like old girl friends take care of them and they will serve you well. As time goes on they move on .Always looking for the perfect one.:D

Roland Thunder

For my first gun I was debating between a Ruger SR9 and a Sig 226 (both 9mm versions). After agonizing over the decision, I bought the SR9 because of the price difference and the fact that I was inexperienced and this was my first gun. 30 days later I went back to the same gun store and traded the SR9 for the Sig 226 which I still have. They gave me $300 for the SR9 toward the 226 which had the asking price of $around 800 so I don't think I came out too bad.

As an addendum to Cheapshooters rule, I would like to suggest always get what you really want in the first place as you will probably end up with it anyway at a significantly higher cost