An affordable .45ACP thats not a

givo08

I'd vote for the sig 220 as well. You can get a CPO which is basically a factory re-furbished gun (some are in like-new condition) for about $500 or a new one for about $650-700 which is just barely outside of the price range you listed.

mjrodney

I do own a Sig P220 (and a P226 and a P229) and I agree, Sig is a quality firearm.

But I also own a Ruger P345 and for my average size hands, the Ruger's grip size and shape is a better fit. If carry weight is an issue, the Ruger is lighter, as well.

In any case, the real indicator of quality in any firearm is that it works when you need it to.

The Ruger P345 fits that bill very well, indeed.

rellascout

I do own a Sig P220 (and a P226 and a P229) and I agree, Sig is a quality firearm.

But I also own a Ruger P345 and for my average size hands, the Ruger's grip size and shape is a better fit. If carry weight is an issue, the Ruger is lighter, as well.

In any case, the real indicator of quality in any firearm is that it works when you need it to.

The Ruger P345 fits that bill very well, indeed.

I here you and know what you are saying about the Ruger it is a nice gun for the money.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on your indicator or quality in a firearm. Most guns from respectable manufacturers go bang when you need them. Look at CZ, Ruger, HK, Bersa, Sig, Colt, Taurus, S&W etc... the vast majority of their product work as designed.

Quality when it comes to firearms to me equals refinement. Things like triggers. The Ruger trigger is not in the same league as the Sig. I have never shot a Ruger that was as smooth as the Sig DA trigger or had the quick reset and crisp break of the SA trigger. Do you find the Ruger trigger to be equal?

As for the weight difference it is due to the fact that the Ruger is a Polymer. You are making an apples to orange comparison IMHO. Many people do not like polymer guns.

Again I am not saying that the Ruger is bad. I am simply pointing out that if you are willing to buy a CPO you can get a better gun for only $100 more.

zukiphile

The Ruger trigger is not in the same league as the Sig. I have never shot a Ruger that was as smooth as the Sig DA trigger or had the quick reset and crisp break of the SA trigger. Do you find the Ruger trigger to be equal?

Have you used a 345? I agree that other Ruger P series triggers are heavier and creepier than the average Sig. 345s have a very different feel.

I've used several 220s and 345s.

I have a soft spot for 220s because the first really nice trigger I used was a on a 220. That said, I use a 345 for bullseye because the trigger is better.

rellascout

I have shot the P345. I personally did not find it to be as nice a trigger. In the interest of full disclosure I do not like polymer guns so I am a little biased from jump. I have owned a few even a HK USP but ended up selling them all and going back to a piece of steel.

Triggers can vary from gun to gun. I find that the reset of the Sig Trigger to really make the SA of the Sig better than any other again IMHO.
When you get used to the Sig trigger you can feel the reset point in the trigger before it actually resets and fire the weapon. I find this vcan be done with all of the classic P series Sigs. This makes for faster more accurate SA shots for me.

gac009

I have only seen very few .45 BEs in Houston gun stores. Perhaps not easy enough to find for my friend. The CPO Sig 220 and the P345 are much more common. He is a newish shooter and dose not want to search for hard to find guns, he simply hopes that one of the more common guns on the market will fit him. He has not tried everything yet so he still has hopes.

I personally have never much cared for the Sig grip, nor have I cared much for poly guns. I had decided on a CZ 97 for my own .45 but at only a little more than half the cost of a 97 the P345 is worth a look from me, poly gun or not.

Im not good with the names so these numbers may be completely off but I have only held the 226 and the 239. The 226 felt awkard and the 239 felt nice enough but nothing special. I imagine that the 220 would be more like the 226 but this is just an assumption.

All in all I think the 220 may be perfect for my buddy and I may want to try out the P345. It seems its cost may suit me more than the CZ97 since I only want one myself for occasional range fun.

Dave R

You should make a Poll. Looks like Ruger's winning this one. I went with the Taurus PT-145 and have been very happy. Reliable, accurate, feels great in my hand, sights were perfectly regulated from the factory, what's not to love?

JDG

Did anyone say RUGER yet!:D
06083.jpg

gac009

You might want to explain to him that there is a reason that 1911's are so "common."

Im sure he knows why 1911s are so common. Perhaps I could explain to you that at this time he is not interested in one but Im sure you know that as well so lets just skip the explainations and stick with answering the question. :)

I just might make a poll. I dont know what he is going to get but hes going to look at the 220, P345 and the Taurus .45s. He really appreciates your answers.

Also Ill add that you guys have just about sold me on the P345. I heard that they are going to discontinue the decocker model so I may just have to go get one of those before its too late.

JDG- I wish they made a decocker model without the rail or that there was some way to order one.

G-Cym

Glad to hear we might have just converted 2 new P345 owners :p It really is an amazing gun, for the money especially. It makes a great carry weapon due to it's thin profile as well.

sdj

45acp

If revolvers are option: S&W makes some fine revolvers that shoot .45ACP. I'm very happy with my model 625JM.

Good luck.

44 AMP

Staff

I bought a Browning BDA .45. It is a Sig P220 (the old or European model) with the heel type mag release. It is one of the finest working and feeling auto I have owned. Even with the heel type mag release, I have never felt a need to part with it, not even to "upgrade" to a Sig with the US type mag release.

My advice is for your friend to either find a used Sig P220 in his price range, or just sit on it for a while, add some more cash and get a new Sig p220. Of all the modern handgun designs out there, as a 1911 guy, the Sig p220 is the only other one I woudl consider.

Have your friend go out and handle (shoot if possible) as many of the different guns as he can. How well the gun feels (and performs) is worth more than dollars alone. I have a great respect for Rugers, and own several of their excellent SA revolvers and rifles, and .22 autos. But their centerfire autos (inexpensive, and built like tanks) have never felt good in my hands.

Use your head before you use your wallet. A good deal on a brick still leaves you with a brick. Better to spend a little (or even a lot) and get something you like, and feel comfortable with than going with the cheapest available and making it do.

Topthis

Get a 345...it's not just a good gun for the money...its a good gun period. I agree with the above post to a degree. Your friend needs to go to a range and rent some guns that he is thinking about getting and see what fits HIM. I bought a Beretta 96f and a Glock 23c that I can't stand shooting! My XD, Ruger, and CZ get all the range time. I have friends who used to make fun of me because I would never buy the Colts and Kimbers and HK's that they all own (I can afford to buy pretty much whatever I want)...I do not feel any superiority when shooting their guns over mine...fact...my 345 is the ONLY one in our bunch that has not had a SINGLE failure (approx. 8k rounds), I have rapid fired with stacked magazines...different grains, JHP's, FMJ's and still cannot jam it up. it's accuracy is equally as excellent. Actually the HKs haven't had any issues either. The recoil on the 345 is amazing!! It feels like I am shooting my XD9 (I put a one piece guide rod and went with a #22 recoil spring...it really makes a difference!). Bulky?? It's just as slim as any of the other guns in .45 that we shoot. The only issue I have had with my 345 was that I thought it went full auto on me...but my buddy told me that I "bump" fired it, so it just seemed auto. Of course...this is just my opinion.

aquanomics

Affordable .45ACP

I bought A Bersa, Ultra Compact .45 for $400 and don't regret the purchase. It's very close in size to a Glock 30 --- I held the 2 next to each other.

I've fired over 750 rounds through this pistol with 4 FTE/jams which could have been due to a soft grip (limp wrist).

And Bersa has a lifetime warranty with a supposedly 1st rate repair facility in CO.

You could pay more for less.