Am I the only one that thinks Ruger mania is strange?

HisDudeness

Interesting Salmoneye. I know places still exist where a handshake and a man's word commonly replace any written agreement. It seems that they may be more interested in producing firearms and taking care of their customers than in lawyering.

On another note, I've read that Ruger is retrofitting pre-transfer bar safety revolvers to the newer/safer design free of charge. May be worth looking into if you have one of the original designs.

Salmoneye

IMNSHO, Ruger indeed cares more for their product than many manufacturers...I have seen them repair owner induced damage due to the owner's own negligence, free of charge...I must say that I also saw Colt do this back in the day, but I have had no dealings personally with them in decades...

As for the transfer bar, unconverted Single Actions seem to be garnering a higher price these days...

I know that Ruger USED to return the original parts with the converted gun, but I have heard 'rumors' of late that they are not returning the original parts...

I have even heard stories of some people removing the original guts when sending unconverted guns back, simply so that they do not have to worry about the original parts coming back to them...

JimPage

That's why I'm not sending my .357 Blackhawk back again. I had it worked on once for sights being out of range (Shoots 8" high with rear sight cranked all the way down). They put the transfer bar mod in it. Ruins the smooth action. Makes the gun clunky. So I changed it back to original configuration but they didn't fix the sight problem.

I fear if I send it back, they will modify it again and keep the parts. :(

arcticap

If anyone wants to see some Ruger "enthusiasm", check out the live bidding for Ruger guns that goes on during some of the larger on line auctions. Some of the prices for the used models approach the prices of new ones, especially some of rifles that instantly go up up up up before the buyer's premium fee is even added in.
And not all of these folks are just average Joe's. Some are collectors who have a chance to inspect the guns before the bidding starts.
Some of them can probably be found hanging around the Ruger collector's forum, and they probably know more about the various Ruger models and their values than the average Joe's do. Some of it may truly be mania but they would at least claim that there's some logic behind it. :)

Last edited:

wayneinFL

Folks are buying Ruger Handguns faster than the factory can turn them out. 454 Alaskans on Gunbroker , when listed , are $500 over MSRP. The 380 LCP was one of the most popular new guns offered in recent history. Almost every other manufacturer quickly turned out their ,"mimick." I

:confused: Actually, it was Ruger, S&W, and Taurus mimicking the lowly kel-tec 3AT.

As for Ruger's popularity, it's hard for me to get really excited about Ruger. I own several, but they're not a Smith and Wesson. There's some history to a Smith or Colt. I have a Brazilian contract Smith 1917 that has more history than any Ruger.

checkmyswag

Hi, my name is "check" and I"m a rugerholic.

Actually I still like their rifles a lot, but have backed away from their handguns in favor of S&W.

Went I first re-entered the gun scene after a long layoff where uncle sam paid me to shoot his guns...I was deep into Rugers.

I thought...why would anyone buy anything other than a Ruger, so reliable and reasonably priced...

Well, second thoughts are usually best.

So I'm currently:

Ruger: rifles
S&W: pistols
Remington (edging towards Mossberg): shotguns

Now on to step 2.

22-rimfire

A little "mania" is a good thing because it's fun. It is no different than supporting your favorite college, NFL, or NBA team.

Newton24b

really, until you see whole magazines devoted to the latest ruger handgun, see people with ruger logo flags on their cars/trucks/whatnot, you cant make the claim of ruger mania.

i dont beleive that the op here would call glock mania , a mania or even un reasonable based on some interpretations made here of other posts.

ive seen people spend 700 on a glock, and then buy the same gun a week later when glock changes the front sight color and calls it something else. then again i see that with alot of semi autos these days.

johnbt

"Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."

Who needs a written warranty when you have a history of fixing your customers' guns. A well earned reputation beats a piece of paper anyday.

The amazing thing about Ruger, at least to me, is how they made money from the beginning. They started in 1949 with $50k to build their .22 pistol and never borrowed in order to grow. They had enough cash flow to expand.

johnbt

I was looking for something else, but found this article.

Ruger sold 1.2 million guns in 12 months.
And donated over $1.2 million to the NRA.

www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=6412

"...completed the fourth and final quarter of its "1.2 Million Gun Challenge to Benefit the NRA." During the quarter ended March 31, 2012, Ruger sold 382,500 firearms. During this year-long challenge, Ruger donated a total of $1,254,000 to the NRA.

"We believe that Ruger is the first firearms manufacturer to build and ship more than one million firearms in one year," commented Ruger CEO Mike Fifer on this historic accomplishment."

SPEMack618

I wouldn't call it Ruger mania, but then again, I've been a Ruger fan since my first 10/22 and watching my first epsidoe of the A-Team.

True, Ruger doesn't offer a warranty, but they have done repair work on my Red Label that was caused due to operator negilence free of charge for me.

hoytinak

Out of the 5 firearms I currently own, 3 of them are Rugers....but then again, I've always been a fan of Rugers.

Willie D

Ruger sells a lot of guns. Lots of people own Rugers. A lot of gun owners talk up what they own and seem particularly bad at criticizing their faults. Hence, Ruger 'mania'.

Newton24b

they may have been odd on magazine capacity for civilian users of their products, but they make a good product and take care of the user. in a way ruger has no need to buy a magazine cover and advertise the same product over and over again every year.
we know what "ruger" means, in durability and quality.

and thats what we actually want.

sig220mwxxxx

Over the years I have had 10 ruger products. I have never had a problem with function or dependability on any. I currently have 4 rugers. 2 rifles and 2 revolvers. I handload for all and they are very accurate. I really don't know what else I could ask for. I own other brands also and I'm definitely not manic about rugers but do like them.