Am I the only one that thinks Ruger mania is strange?

NWPilgrim

I don't understand what this is all about. What "Ruger Mania"? An increase in popularity maybe, but "mania"?

I would interrupt the reference to "mania" as being the fact that Ruger is back-ordered to 12 months. Several manufacturers are back-ordered but not sure if large ones are back as many months as Ruger.

So a clarifying question is: Is Ruger more backed up on orders that S&W, Springfield Armory, Remington, etc.?

FrankenMauser

You mean all those recalls?
ALL those recalls... :rolleyes:

Compare Ruger's recalls with those of their competition, and they're par for the course. S&W, Remington, Weatherby, TC, Sig, FN, Browning, Winchester, Colt, Springfield Armory, Kel-Tec, NAA, Taurus, and many other companies have all had (multiple) recalls on similar products. It's just that Ruger's recalls are wide-distribution press releases, that get a lot of attention; while the other manufacturers do everything they can to keep things quiet.

Example: Gen 1 Taurus PT-138s. You won't ever hear that there was a recall on them, unless you ship your pistol to the repair center. At that point, they declare it unsafe, and send you a Gen 3 replacement. Oh, what's that, skipping Gen 2? Yea, the Gen 2s were recalled, too.

Example: Weatherby Vanguards. Where Ruger still ships their transfer bar conversion "recall" notices with every handgun sold (and some rifles), I haven't heard a peep about the '80s vintage Vanguard bolt/safety failures in quite some time. That doesn't mean that the faulty rifles all got fixed, though. It just means that Weatherby is avoiding bad press. And... How about the new Vanguards? Again, they recalled the rifles due to safety issues with the bolt. But, Weatherby tries to keep that one quiet, as well.

What am I missing here? Again, I'm not knocking Ruger, but all of a sudden, the firearms enthusiasts have elevated these products way above their actual status on the food chain!
Two things:
1. You answered your own question. When you want a S&W, you look for an old one. S&W quality sucks so bad that you won't buy a new one, but you compare old S&Ws to new Rugers... :rolleyes:
2. If the products are being 'elevated in status', doesn't that mean they have a new place in the food chain? Your opinion may differ, but many enthusiasts are really liking the new Ruger. (As shown by Ruger's massive production backlog.)

Ruger quality has been improving quite a bit. They got some bad press for the lower quality stuff they were putting out in '08 and '09; and they took great steps to improve it.

Now, Ruger is putting out products with better fit and finish than most of their competitors, and at a better price point. In addition, they keep coming out with new products that people are eager to snap up.

Ruger makes products that appeal to buyers, at a decent price point. Sometimes it can be very difficult to make that same statement about their competition.

Ruger is looking forward, and wants to stay in business; while a lot of other companies seem to be stuck in 1978, with a course set for obsolescence.
(Ruger American aside. Even if it is a good rifle, it's an ugly lump.)

Bottom line: Ruger "mania", as you say, is here because people think they're one of the best options on the market. If other companies would stop making absolute crap, maybe Ruger would return to whatever place it is that you think they should be in the firearms food chain.

laytonj1

the fact that Ruger is back-ordered to 12 months
According to Rugers CEO they only suspended new orders till the end of this month.

Jim
Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following comments:

“The Company’s Retailer Programs that were offered from January 1, 2012 through February 29, 2012 were very successful and generated significant orders from retailers to independent wholesale distributors for Ruger firearms.

Year-to-date, the independent wholesale distributors placed orders with the Company for more than one million Ruger firearms.

Despite the Company’s continuing successful efforts to increase production rates, the incoming order rate exceeds our capacity to rapidly fulfill these orders. Consequently, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.

The Company expects to resume the normal acceptance of orders by the end of May 2012.”

Last edited:

Newton24b

hmm what other guns do you have, OP? Are you a flag waver for Glock by chance?

ruger has done more for the tool using world then Glock. Yes, their company politics may not agree with everyone else but listen here.

they are nice guns in europe but in the field of handguns, nothing made since the 1930s really can compete with what ruger makes this week.

JasonWilliam

I've been wanting a single action capable revolver (not DAO) for quite some time. Since a Colt Python is well beyond my means at the moment, I stopped into my local gun shop last weekend and took a look at current production offerings. After handling several options, I then picked up the Ruger Single Six Hunter. It was love at first sight (pun intended ;)) and I knew I'd found my next firestick.

I'm not a new shooter, nor am I stranger to names like Ruger, S&W, Colt, Springfield, Walther, Taurus, not to mention several of the custom shops, etc. I've read forums like this and others long enough to know that I tend to lap up the koolaid, kind of like the OP suggests is whats happening here. But after having figured that out about myself a few years ago, now when I get the itch for a new gun I go to the store first and decide what feels and looks right *to me* before heading home and doing my research. This time, I was so convinced by what I personally felt and saw, I bought the gun on the spot.

OP: I think the answer to your question can be found by doing exactly what I just did. I went in there with no preconceived notions or expectations, and no one else's opinions clouding my own. I just asked the guy behind the counter to lay out my options in a given caliber and type, and I went from there. In my humble opinion, the Ruger clearly jumped off the mat as being superior in every way to the competition, at this time and in this genre. YMMV.

I agree with others that gun sales are up. I think the occupant of the Whine Haus has a lot to do with it. I also noticed that many folks who were neutral have been acquiring firearms. Guess they wanted something called personal protection.

oneounceload

they are nice guns in europe but in the field of handguns, nothing made since the 1930s really can compete with what ruger makes this week.

Now THAT'S funny right there - spoken like a true kool-aid drinker!....:D

BIG P

I sure your not the only one that thinks like that.I own Rugers & smith's alike
But I do like & use my rugers more than the smith's.Cant all of us be die hard Smith fans.I find it strange that anyone would tie theyre self to any one product be it Ruger,smith, whatever.thats just Me.

Ruger mania,Dont know about that.:rolleyes:

Pahoo

So ??

Many feel that Ruger has maintained it's quality while others have not

To date, everything about Ruger speaks to Quality, Value and Performance. Many "past-great" manufaturers have peaked and are struggling. Ruger has always been in it for the long-haul. However, I wouldn't refer to it as a mania and most are aware of the weak links in their product chain. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Sparks1957

they are nice guns in europe but in the field of handguns, nothing made since the 1930s really can compete with what ruger makes this week

Not sure I'd go that far, but Ruger does make a reliable product at a reasonable price

buck460XVR

Ruger does make a reliable product at a reasonable price

This is the just of it. Ruger for the majority of their firearms, has never been known for pretty and for their fit and finish. But they do make well working firearms for the Average Joe and since there are so many Average Joes, they sell a lot of guns. The Ruger not being able to keep up with demands comes not only due to their loyal following, but because many other quality firearms have been missing from LGS shelves due to high demand also. Similar to the Stephan Stills song, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". I own Rugers and shoot them. They work and work well. None are exceptionally scarey accurate and none are breathtakingly beautiful, but all are very adequate for the tasks I ask of them. If they were stolen or lost in a fire, they would be easy to replace, and I would have no qualms replacing them with another Ruger. But, if money was not an issue, I would happily replace them with something else. While their quality has gone up, so have their prices. Many of their DA revolvers now have a MSRP higher than their S&W counterparts. Many quality rifle manufacturers now sell rifles for less monies than the Ruger M77 and they are much more accurate. Ruger also is one of the few major gun manufacturers that gives no warranty whatsoever with their new guns. You pays your monies, and you take your chances. As of now Ruger generally will stand behind their products, but one wonders if they aren't looking for a way out sometime in the future with their new non-warranty.

Again, Rugers are good guns for the money. But they are not that exceptional and in most cases, they are not special. Again, that's why there are so many out there. I'm not bashing Ruger, because I own Rugers. But I am realistic.

Big Dog Dad

I wasn't bashing Ruger!

I own many Rugers, Glocks, and most of all vintage Smiths. I agree that Ruger makes a good quality product for a good price. To me, it just seems that all of a sudden, Ruger is garnering a tremendous amount of praise and addulation like they are the only firearm worth buying anymore. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems every forum I frequent, there is an amazing amount of glorification of Ruger.

-=BDD=-

22-rimfire

Ruger Mania?

From a firearm ownership perspective, Ruger should be praised for producing a diversified list of firearms that are generally very functional, reasonably accurate, and maintain their price niche below the other "name" manufacturer's pricing.

I have purchased two Rugers this year. That is a record for me in one year. I generally prefer Smith's and Colts for revolvers and my favorites generally are not Rugers. With long guns, I have never favored Ruger products although I own the required 10/22 and Mini-14.

Ruger has excellent marketing. The whole thing, not just promotion. They actually listen to their customers and produce guns they request. Is there another firearms manufacturer where anyone in the world can go to their website and send a letter to the CEO so easily? Maybe he doesn't read them, but considering how they adapt to customer preference I bet he does.

chadio

Over the years, I've had the chance to fire:

- Single Six
- 10/22
- SR22 rifle
- 22/45
- SR1911

Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. No 'mania' here, just good experiences. If I had unlimited income, it wouldn't be long before there were a few of them in my safe :D

Pond James Pond

Personally, I find the vehement loathing some have for Glock far more puzzling than the praise others have for Ruger. They're all just guns...

In the case of Ruger, I wouldn't call it mania, I would call it enthusiasm.

I own two Rugers and one Glock as it happens.

The Redhawk has been flawless, but then has seen relatively few rounds.
My MK III has given me some issues (repeated FTEs), but I still feel it is a good gun and I hope it is a running in or ammo issue that I will resolve at some point. However, I believe that generally the MK I, II, III series are solid. They are also very prevalent, and they are also often the calibre people first start out on.

Perhaps there are the foundations of a healthy customer base in later choices: happy with Ruger .22, happier about chancing a Ruger 9mm....

Interestingly, critcise a Ruger and you are going to get far more hostility than if you critcise a Glock, IMO. Yet both do what it says on the tin...
The OP even felt the need to point out he was not bashing Ruger even though, IMO, nothing in the question pointed to any view of Rugers in themselves, just of people's attitude toward them...

Last edited:

22-rimfire

One thing to remember, price does matter when you buy. But two years down the road, the purchase price has no relevance other than helping in establishing a value for resale. Which is why I suggest you purchase the guns you really want the first time around even if they cost more.

Last edited:

SKostas

Discalimer- I do not own a Ruger and have no plans to buy one.

That said, a friend used to work for them in the warranty/repair dept testing repaired/refurbished firearms before sending them back out. Real tough job:D

He acknowledgeds a bit of an exxtended wait time, but tells stories of people doing all kinds of things to their guns and Ruger still honoring their lifetime warranty. The wildest one was where a fellow lost his revolver in the woods, then found it all rusted and pitted out. Sent it in, and according to my friend, who is honest as the day is long, Ruger sent this fellow another revolver. Another good one involved a cylinder barrel mix-up the customer did, where the larger rounds were blowing steel out the barrel when fired. They replaced the barrel to match the cylinder.

Now, that's a warranty.

Salmoneye

Ruger still honoring their lifetime warranty.

Ruger has no warranty, expressed, or implied...

From Ruger's "FAQ" Pages:

Why No Warranty Card Has Been Packed With Your New Ruger Firearm?
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.