Am I missing something on a Glock replacement trigger?

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Considering the attention paid to optimizing trigger pull by manufacturers of 1911s and the fact that practically nobody runs a fully stock Glock or M&P trigger in competition, it is probably not trivial.

Hardly scientific, but it appears the consensus is that trigger jobs will help you shoot better if you've got the skills to take advantage of it.

On the other hand if what you're saying is that if I handed someone who isn't much of a handgunner a weapon with a smooth, short and crisp 3-4lb pull and then we compared his shooting when he used a weapon with a stacky/gritty/slacky/mushy/spongy/etc 5lb pull based on criteria of speed and precision, I agree the difference would be null.
[1] Competition is one thing, and real world self defense application is another.

[2] A decent service grade trigger (crisp 4 to 5 pounds in a 1911, a smooth 5 pounds or so in a striker fired gun, or a smooth 10 pound +/- DA trigger) is one thing, and stacky/gritty, etc., trigger is another.

Bottom line is that if you can't shoot well with a decent service grad trigger, you need more training and practice, not a trigger job.

I know someone who is a police instructor and armorer and who could be an expert witness. He will state that a 4 to 5 pound trigger is appropriate for a service handgun (single action or striker fired) and that he will not set a trigger lighter than 4 pounds. If I used one of my 1911s with a 4.5 pound trigger, he will be testifying for me. If someone used a 1911 (or another handgun) with a 3 pound trigger, he will be testifying for the DA. His testimony will be something to the effect that as an expert he would consider carrying a gun with a trigger lighter than 4 pound is reckless.

Burner

What I said according to you.
Bottom line is that if you can't shoot well with a decent service grad trigger, you need more training and practice, not a trigger job.
What I actually said.
it appears the consensus is that trigger jobs will help you shoot better if you've got the skills to take advantage of it
Will help you shoot better isn't the same thing as you need it to shoot well.

Note the quotation I had replied to initially.
Reminds me of when they made shoes with pumps on them. People were swearing it made them a better basketball player.

Implying that a trigger job or match trigger was 100-200 dollars of do nothing feel good. All I said was that this is not the case. I say zero times a trigger job is necessary to shoot well or is necessary on a carry gun.

warningshot

I leave the hammer cocked on my loaded revolver all the time. The transfer bar will protect me, and you too, from a accidential discharge. All of my fingers are always always always always, where they should be. I can't make a mistake. I have a good stiff holster.

Now if you will excuse me, I've got to mail this down payment to some guy whom I've never met before on some beach front property in Nevada before it's too late.

iamdb

the fact that practically nobody runs a fully stock Glock or M&P trigger in competition, it is probably not trivial.
:rolleyes: Add that to the check list. #16 Knows what all the comp shooters do.

Funny, I found the complete opposite true. At least in the stock divisions. Just because the top level pro's do it doesn't mean most do. 1 thousandth of a second can make or break you at that level.

Hardly scientific, but it appears the consensus is that trigger jobs will help you shoot better if you've got the skills to take advantage of it.
Not scientific at all and is purely subjective.

On the other hand if what you're saying is that if I handed someone who isn't much of a handgunner a weapon with a smooth, short and crisp 3-4lb pull and then we compared his shooting when he used a weapon with a stacky/gritty/slacky/mushy/spongy/etc 5lb pull based on criteria of speed and precision, I agree the difference would be null.
I'm saying the opposite. A good shooter will shoot both equally as well. A rookie or someone with poor trigger control might slightly benefit if they decided practice was not important enough. Sort of like the bumber pads in the gutter at the bowling alley. Good bowlers don't need them since they don't throw gutter balls.

Burner

Check list for proving your point on an internet firearm forum.
1)
Add that to the check list. #16 Knows what all the comp shooters do.
Imply anyone that disagrees with you is a mall ninja (adult equivalent of the no life trenchcoat mafia).

Iamdb, I never insulted you or made presumptions about who you are aside from a wall of text on my screen. Why don't you extend me the same courtesy.

Not scientific at all and is purely subjective.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

What you actually said is there for all to see.
You paraphrased me pretty inventively and left the proof of my statement open ended. Where do I say you need a trigger job to shoot well, or that it is needed on a carry gun?

Last edited:

iamdb

Your jumping to the wrong conclusions. I have no problems with anyone disagreeing. I do have a problem with people throwing out logical fallacies as fact.

I did not mean to insult you. My apologies.