Am I missing something on a Glock replacement trigger?

warningshot

No Glock bashing. Just tell me if I'm off my rocker.

Is packing around a Glock with a 3 lbs. trigger normal? Have I missed something!?

At the gun show, a salesman, selling lots of aftermartket Glock parts, hands me a Glock with a 3 or maybe 4 pound trigger pull. A 'Carry-Gun' no less.

Pistols with external safeties, i.e. 1911, with very, very light triggers is no big deal. But a Glock? I have no problem with any stock Glock trigger. But this?

Burner

I carry a G34 with a replacement trigger, that probably has a trigger pull weight somewhere in that range or lower. Doesn't bother me any. I'm sure it would bother others. Nothing is getting in that holster and all the automatic safeties are active. I doubt those 2lbs will ever mean the difference between an ND or no ND - but unsafe firearm handling will.

eldorendo

I install aftermarket connectors in all my Glocks, including my daily carry G26. The G26 trigger pulls @ about 4#. Just got back from the range from shooting my nightstand G17, which has a 2 3/8# trigger. However, I'm going to increase the G17's trigger pull by about 1/2 pound, as I'm going back to the factory strength striker spring. Had a few light strikes @ the range, using the reduced-power striker spring.

jfrey

I used a Glockworx connector and a polish job to get my G19 trigger down to 4 pounds. Everything else is stock. I carry this gun all the time with no worries. If my finger isn't on the trigger it won't fire by itself, no matter how light it is.

I don't know about normal, but it isn't unheard of. The Glock trigger is already light enough I think there isn't much more of a safety issue. If you re-holster with your finger on the trigger the gun will fire either way.
I won a free connector for my G27 a while back and traded it for a much less expensive pistol case though. I am quite happy with my current trigger.

eldorendo

I'd have to add that I despise factory Glock triggers. I'm happy that there's a significant market for aftermarket connectors. Wonder why?? ;)

Burner

I'm happy that there's a significant market for aftermarket connectors

There's a sub set of the the Glock aftermarket larger than most modern combat handgun's total aftermarket devoted only to entirely replacing the fire control group.

warningshot

How about Cocked but not Locked?

Thanks to one and all. Now...What if....

I pack a 1911. It has a custom 4 pound trigger. It is in & out of the holster 100 times a month. I never use the safety. The safety latch is never never ever used. Like all guns, my 1911 is always loaded. What say you?

Burner

I would use the manual safety as I would have gotten a Glock with a manual safety in a second if they offered one with a similar safety the 1911 - a nice, big, shelf safety that is easy to use.

That being said, what you're doing isn't inherently unsafe and you've got the grip safety. Go for it. 4lbs isn't that light anyways.

BIG P

My wife & myself both carry our Glocks with 3Lb. triggers,And have for years now.NOfear no promlems. Like you said My gold cup is much lighter trigger.
3LBS.just isnt that light.

Burner

My wife & myself both carry our Glocks with 3Lb. triggers
I can't even imagine my carry gun without the Fulcrum Trigger. A smooth, light and short pull with a crisp break really makes the weapon a lot more effective in my hands.

geetarman

I never use the safety. The safety latch is never never ever used. Like all guns, my 1911 is always loaded.

Maybe just me, but that does not sound safe at all.

Are you carrying cocked but not locked?

Geetarman:(

mumbo719

I am not a fan of outfitting a carry weapon with a lighter trigger than is shipped with the gun. If you ever had to use it in self defense the prosecutor will have a field day with it.

A little smoothing, polishing cleaning up the trigger for reliability should no problem though.

I pack a 1911. It has a custom 4 pound trigger. It is in & out of the holster 100 times a month. I never use the safety. The safety latch is never never ever used. Like all guns, my 1911 is always loaded. What say you?

It's your funeral and or hospital bills.

eldorendo

I am not a fan of outfitting a carry weapon with a lighter trigger than is shipped with the gun. If you ever had to use it in self defense the prosecutor will have a field day with it.

That internet silliness has been discussed to death. You won't find any cases to back up your irrational fears.

Last edited:

Burner

Massad Ayoob makes a good case of supporting his claim that prosecutors will try to capitalize on things like lightened triggers.

In doing so, I think he also may be missing the larger point that he is a prosecutor assigned to your case, he wants a win and he will go after you with anything real or imagined. Along these lines you better stop shooting IDPA or that will be seen as premeditation. I think as long as you make a righteous shoot you will be okay and the issue will never even come up in the first place. I say lighten your trigger all you want as long as you handle the weapon safely. Different strokes for different folks.

iamdb

Why not learn to shoot with the factory trigger? do you really need a .3lb pull to shoot your gun? sounds like that money would be better spent on ammo.

Burner

Why not learn to shoot with the factory trigger? do you really need a .3lb pull (more like 3lb) to shoot your gun? sounds like that money would be better spent on ammo.

I think the question for me personally is, why bother with the factory trigger? Nothing is gained by keeping it and there is a reason that trigger jobs and replacements are the most common work done on pistols other than new sighting systems. The one without external modification is still competition legal even when I choose to do so. Replacing it is a small fixed cost that makes the weapon better for the thousands and thousands of rounds I have fired out of it since replacement, rather than just shooting 400 more rounds on one occasion. And I don't have a problem carrying it, the automatic safeties are active so anything that would cause an ND with the weapon in its current configuration would cause one with the stock configuration.

What I gain is I enjoy shooting the weapon more with the replaced trigger and I know I shoot it better. This makes me want to take it to the range more. It gives me more confidence when I pull the trigger whether I am double tapping or handgun hunting coyote, especially because I transitioned to Glocks from SA hammer fired guns with much, much better stock triggers. I really like everything about the Glock but the DA trigger so it had to go.