• AK47

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • M14

Votes: 111 72.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Socrates

Refuse to compare. 300 dollars vs. 1500.
Short range cartridge vs. long range.
Accuracy of a shotgun, vs. tack driving.
Both are designed for a certain job, and, both do it.
Get both.

HorseSoldier

And yet nobody is really happy with the lackluster performance of the SR25 and M110 in dirty, sandy conditions.

The end users seem pretty happy with them. The only 7.62x51 rifle with a "lackluster" record in the desert this go 'round is the M14.

kraigwy

It appears that every gun site has this debate. Most are are about the M16 vs the AK. That was bad enough but damn.

Compairng the M14 to a Ak is akin to comparing a rolls royce to a yugo.

I'm been shooting the M14 since 1966 (with a break in 67-68 while I was using the M16A1 in SE Asia, attending a live fire FTX with pop up shoot back targets. The last 30 years shooting highpower.

Two things I notived. You dont see AKs in High Power Matches. and in SE Asia, I competed against people shooting AKs. I'm here typing, they arn't.

I was infantry and played with the AK quite abit in SE Asia. I also spent 3 years (after I came home) in a NG SF Company as a weapons Sgt. We had AKs (as well as other forgien weapons) for training.

Lessons learned: The Ak is no more (or less) reliable then the M16. The M16 is a hell of a lot more accurate then the AK. I hear a lot about the AKs being good up to 300 meters, at what? Barns for targets. The newer 16s are competeing at 1000 yards and holding up to the M14s/M1a.

Sorry, the AKs are Junk. Fine for third world countries who can't afford real rifles. Fine if you're into Spray and Pray Shooting. but thats not for me.
I did a lot of testing of the M16s (as OIC of the Alaska National Guard Marksmanship Unit, as well as my experience with the M-16 in Vietnam, Republic OF. I found the M-16 to be every bit as reliable as the AK, and walks away from the AK in all other areas.

As to the M14/M1A, that is my favorite. I got dist. (badge # 1071) with the M1A, the same one I got in 1977, except for replacing shot out barrels, and some stretched out slings, I've hadno problems with it at all. I went to the USAMU Sniper School (Oct '78) using the M-21 (M14 Sniper system), and ran several NG Sniper Schools using the M-21. Im my opinion one of the better sniper systems developed.

Having said that, if by some Chance I was to go into combat (highly unlikely at 60), as a grunt, I'd choose the M-16, if dm or sniping it would be the M14/M21.

JMHO

Kraig Stuart
CPT USAR Ret
USAMU Sniper School Oct '78
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited:

Crosshair

Short range cartridge vs. long range.
There is no shortage of AKs chambered for full power cartridges. The design scales extremely well.

Accuracy of a shotgun, vs. tack driving.
You're comparing a Saiga-12 to an M-14? Why not the Saiga 308 to the M-14. I'm sure you will find the long range accuracy much better.

SR420

Quote:
And yet nobody is really happy with the lackluster performance of the SR25 and M110 in dirty, sandy conditions.
HorseSoldier

The end users seem pretty happy with them. The only 7.62x51 rifle with a "lackluster" record in the desert this go 'round is the M14.

Quote:
I am told they are great from the bench though...
High Planes Drifter

I've read nothing of htis. Link to article please?

I think it would be better for all if you started a new
thread all about how wonderful the M110 and SR25 are.

It should be very informative and educational.

Status
Not open for further replies.