• M14

Votes: 111 72.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SR420

06-14-08-Xa.jpg

nemoaz

I don't see the point of the comparison. Two obsolete weapons from two different classes of weapon systems.

AKS74 vs. M16, makes sense. Maybe SVT40 vs. M14. SVD vs. M14/M21. Those perhaps make some sense, but AK vs. M14 doesn't in my mind.

It's like trying to ask which is better, a 30/30 lever or a 30/06 bolt. Different tools for a different job. Both the AK and the M14 kills people but the pros and cons of each weapon are basically the pros and cons of the entire class of assault rifles and battle rifles as a whole, at least vis a vis each other.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I don't see how you can objectively compare military rifles which were intended for two completely different tactical doctrines--and thus different design parameters.

Cartridges of notably different performance characteristics. Completely different intent for use in battle.

What's to compare?

Sure, the AK is better for the Russian mass-assault at close range. But so what? The M-14 is better for engaging the enemy at longer ranges. Again, so what?

For the intended use within the tactical doctrines of the militaries, they're pretty much equal.

MTMilitiaman

Neither of the two different classes of weapon systems are obsolete.

At least not any more obsolete than the M16 or the AK-74...

If Afghani rebels can hold a Russian military armed with shiny new AK-74s at bay with 100 year old Enfields and AKMs, I think it will be a while before the M14 can be considered obsolete.

WhyteP38

For the intended use within the tactical doctrines of the militaries, they're pretty much equal.
When two different tactical doctrines meet head-to-head, perhaps the first question should be, "Which tactical doctrine is better suited for contemporary combat?"

My guess is that WWII-style battlefields will be rare and dominated by high-tech weapons. Small arms will play far less of a role in that arena, but will continue to play a significant role in urban arena, which will grow in importance inversely proportional to the decrease of the WWII-style battlefield.

If my guess is correct, the next question to follow after "Which tactical doctrine is better suited for contemporary combat?" is "Which tactical doctrine is better positioned to carry over into future combat?"

ronc0011

My only real issue with either the AK or the AR is cartridge. Now that the AR is being chambered in the 7.62 I think it is a perfectly suitable platform for urban situations.

SPUSCG

i say .223=varmint round, so why use it on people? no m16, but a .308, thatll teach enemies a lesson, and the m14 comes out as king!

aks are no when it comes to percision shots, there a close range machine gun that looks cool and not much else, i think it has pretty bad ergonomics myself, but an m14 w/out pistol grip is good

SR420

spfb only if m1as werent like 1500 dollars
Shop for a used Poly Tech or Norinco M14.
You get an M14 with a forged receiver and a chrome lined barrel for less than you would spend on an M1A.

ronc0011

I have to agree the M14 will eventually be completely removed from modern warfare. In fact I’m guessing it will happen about the same time that they start issuing a weapon system that doesn’t use bullets. Probably long after all of us here are dead and forgotten.

People have been saying the M14 is gone ever since it was first replaced by the M16 and they are still saying it today. Ya know this is why we still have wars, the human animal is incapable of learning from history or it’s mistakes.

nemoaz

Yeah, I heard it was replaced about 5 years after it was adopted by the M16 then later the M4.

I suppose you could think the M1903 was still "in service" during the Korean War also because a couple of hundred snipers used them... mostly because it was what we had gathering dust.

The military being what it is (conservative), it tends to fight the last war. The Garand was designed for WWI. It served ok during WWII mostly because the Germans will still also attempting to fight WWI. Hitler really loved the K98. When the Garand was matched up against a MP38/40 in urban warfare, GI's were in trouble. The Germs had many times the number of subguns as we did, because the idiots at ordnance were still fighting WWI.

The M14 was little more than a M1 with a box magazine. Nearly useless in urban fighting and uncontrollable on auto. We tried to give away M14s for decades but no one was interested. My current employer has hundreds if not thousands in a few warehouses. It is one of the biggest failures in history.

Despite all the myths otherwise, there are but a few hundred M14s in service--again, just because they are "good enough" for DRM/sniper spotter role though not really good enough for sniper use (3-4" moa for a standard M14), but mostly because they are free- and probably a half a million M16s/M4s in active service.

Spec Ops troops have almost always had other weapons at their disposal, inluding M14s, but we rarely chose them. There is of course, a role for DRM and the military sorely needs a weapon capable of doing the role. They have recognized this, finally. I have heard the military is not happy with the M14 in the role and have instead adopted the Knight SR25 for this purpose. We'll see what pans out.

SR420

And yet nobody is really happy with the lackluster performance of the SR25 and M110 in dirty, sandy conditions.
I am told they are great from the bench though...

Of course neither of these AR type rifles have any bearing on this thread - their existence is irrelevant.

WeedWacker

I have and SKS but it looks like an AK does that count? :p But seriously I would take the M14 over the AK mostly because of the extra 12mm of casing/powder. So far my SKS has performed perfectly for what I need but I still would like that extra range on it

Status
Not open for further replies.