A thought on Euro police mouse guns

tdrizzle

The failure was of a PPK back in the 70's when someone tried to kidnap Princess Anne, I believe. Don't know what kind of stoppage it was, but I read the guards switched to Smith revolvers afterwards.

CWO4USCGRET

I have three German Police Pistols...

A P1, P6, and P7. All three are 9mm and far from mousey. You may know them by there more common names:

The P1 is an updated, post WWII P-38 with an with alloy frame; the P6 is a Sig Sauer P225 9mm, and the P7 is H&K's P7 PSP squeeze cocking 9mm pistol.

The P7 was adopted by the New Jersey State Police as their duty firearm.

For the record, James Bond's first pistol was a Beretta 6.35mm; a .25 acp!

Mrrandom

sorry Bart couldn't find the quote button, IIRC it was a PPK a former member of the met polices firearms unit has written a great book called something like police firearms since 1945 and has a bit of info on the various weapons used by the met police

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Beaton that's the wiki page for the Protection officer

Mrrandom

I know at one point (up to the 90s) elements of them did and possible still do, GIGN had them apparently with a torch mounted

a few German units have large calibre revolvers and as recently as last month I've seen a photo of an SEK officer with a heavily customised revolver (custom carved grips with base mounted torch)