75 compared to P226

Walt Sherrill

Cosmodragoon said:
...Expanding on that, Sigs generally have the decocker and come in various finishes. CZ has a few offerings in stainless but I don't think that includes any of the decocker versions. Just something else to think about.

SIG also makes SA versions of the P-226.

Screwball

I have a P228 and a SP-01... gun to gun, they are similar (minus the compact verses full-size). If you train on either, you'll have a very capable gun in your hands. The 75 can be had in a similar fire control system (decocker), but also cocked/locked (in DA/SA).

Moving away from the capabilities... CZ is my suggestion. They aren't as popular, but their pricing is far more realistic than SIG's classic line.

roarshock

Thanks. Was wondering if anyone ever considered price while making decisions - all else being equal. Of course CZ is superior, regardless. Solid, well known fact....

sigarms228

Thanks. Was wondering if anyone ever considered price while making decisions - all else being equal. Of course CZ is superior, regardless. Solid, well known fact....

Hardly, matter of personal preference. I personally would go for the P226 even with the larger initial investment if I could have only one but I plan to keep both.

hemiram

I have a real CZ-75b and a bunch of Tanfoglio made clones, along with a Sig P226 and a P220. IMHO, the CZ platform looks a lot better than any Sig short of one of those stainless framed Elites, but it does feel cheaper than the Sigs. I like both of them, a lot. The only complaint about the P226 I just got is it seems like the DA trigger pull is way heavier than any other Sig DA gun I've ever shot. I ordered a new 18 pound hammer spring for it, and hope that lightens it up. I looked over the innards and they all seem to be fine, so I hope it's just that the hammer spring is stronger than normal. I put a Bic pen in the barrel when I first got it to make sure it fires and it flew out further and faster than any gun I've ever owned. The DA trigger pull is higher than a friend's trigger pull gauge can measure, 12 pounds. I would say it's at least 15.

Pilot

My Sig P228 is a fine gun, but sits in the safe, and has for a long time. It was replaced long ago for carry by a CZ-75D PCR. It even fits in the Sig holster perfectly. My primary range, and HD guns are a 75B, 75 Pre-B, and a 97B. My Kadet Kit fits perfectly on the 75B, and PCR for cheap .22LR shooting. It is also very accurate.

The Sigs feel clunky to me, are not higher quality, are less accurate, at least in MY hands, and cost a lot more.

tallball

I own a lot of service pistols, including a Sig, though not the one the OP mentioned. Of all my service pistols, my favorites are definitely my full-sized CZ's.

Quartermaster

CZ 75

My brother is after a Legion, to be honest I prefer the way the CZ's feel in my paws. One thing that is totally undeniable about both platforms is that they are both proven in different ways. If I needed a gun for competition I'd probably pick the CZ, if I needed a gun for fighting it'd probably be the SIG.

On a side note, I recently handled a German made P226 LDC (Long Dust Cover) which is SIG's answer to the CZ SP-01 Shadow. That thing is buttery...the slide feels like it's floating on the frame, that slide just glides. Extremely smooth. However...I'd still have a CZ75. It would take a miracle for me to part with my Tactical Sport...either that or a Dan Wesson ;)

Either way BoogieMan, enjoy the journey to your next purchase. You won't regret either.

Peace,
Quartermaster

BoogieMan

Thanks Quartermaster. I bought a CZ75 SP01 tactical and a Kadet kit. Cant pick up until Tuesday because of NJ 30 day BS. I am looking forward to it.

Strafer Gott

Usually I'm all about the 226, especially the German stamped steel slide.
One day I saw this rather oversize CZ at the local gun store. Six hundred dollars. .40 S&W. It followed me home. That's how I came by the Tactical Sport. My gawd what a machine! I wouldn't trade it for nothing, no L5, no L6, nothing!

BoogieMan

That's how I came by the Tactical Sport. My gawd what a machine! I wouldn't trade it for nothing, no L5, no L6, nothing!
TS Orange is what I was after. As soon as I decided I wanted a CZ, so did everyone else. I actually paid near retail for the SP01. In 30 days I have my last permit to burn. Jersey thing. By then I will have put a few hundred rounds or more down with the SP01. Maybe a TSO is still in the cards for me. I am also tossing around the idea of a higher end 1911 or a 2011. Tough choices when there are so many fine firearms available.

RickB

Virtually all of the shooting I do is competition, and among DA/SA, hammer-fired guns, the CZ75 derivatives are the most popular pistols in the world, while virtually nobody shoots a P-series SIG.
I'm not a fan of DA/SA, so I'd take the CZ because it has the cocked 'n' locked option.

Walt Sherrill

RickB said:
Virtually all of the shooting I do is competition, and among DA/SA, hammer-fired guns, the CZ75 derivatives are the most popular pistols in the world, while virtually nobody shoots a P-series SIG.
I'm not a fan of DA/SA, so I'd take the CZ because it has the cocked 'n' locked option.

Guess it depends on WHERE you do your competition.

I'll agree that there doesn't seem to be a LOT of SIGs in IDPA or USPSA in the Stock Service Pistol or Production classes --but polymer, striker-fired guns seem to dominate there -- with Glocks and S&W M&Ps being an overwhelming presence.

I don't think CZ75 derivatives are the most popular pistols in the world (even if you include the Tanfoglio-based models and the many, manyTurkish-made copies.) There are a heckuva lot of Glocks and Berettas out there!! If you look at whats used by militaries and police forces around the world, Beretta may be the champion. The US military has probably accounted for a half-million+ M9s, alone. That will change, of course, when the U.S> Army starts introducing the new striker-fired SIGs in the coming years.

CZs are popular, and slowly becoming even more so. I'd argue that the BEST CZs are based on the Tactical Sport design, which is really like a more sophisticated and mature big brother of the smaller 75 design: same concepts, SAO, but on steroids. :) Those guns cost 3-6 times more than the basic CZs, however.

When you move up above the Stock Service Pistol/Production categories, you'll find CZ Tactical Sports and SIG P226 X5 in the mix-- along with a variety of other hammer-fired guns, many of them based on the 1911 design. But you'll still see a lot of Glocks competing (and competing very well.)

Note: if you're shooting CZs, don't like DA/SA, and haven't converted yours to SAO, using the upgraded safety lever(s) and a two-way adjustable trigger installed, you're missing out, big time.

chaim

Between the CZ 75B and the SIG 226 I would go with the CZ, in fact I did. For a year or two (about 10 years ago) I had both a CZ 75B and a SIG P226. I love my CZ, it is one of my best guns, highly accurate, very reliable, and fits my hand perfectly. The SIG P226 was OK. When I needed some money and figured I should sell one full sized 9mm, the SIG left.

Now, if you were looking at the SIG P229, that would make the decision far more complicated. I did sell my 229 at a time I needed some money as well, but unlike the P226, I miss that 229 all the time. If the P229 was a 9mm and not a .40, I really don't know which one would have stayed (I will always have one service pistol size 9mm, so my last full size 9mm was definitely not on the table when I had to decide what to sell).

MagnumWill

Enjoy the CZ, it's a great gun. I have a CZ75B SA and love it, but I would still also like a 226. I own two Sigs and they're very well made.

Personally, between your two choices you couldn't have gone wrong.

BoogieMan

Bit of a follow up. I took the new SP01 to the range last night. I had braised short ribs finishing up in the oven so not a lot of time. I managed to get 150rnds of 9mm and about another 100 of 22lr out of the SP01. I made the right choice. 10 & 15yd groups are pretty tight for me. 3ish slow fire and 4ish fast fire moving between targets. The Kadet slide works well and produced 2ish groups. Thing is they all landed left of the POA. I cranked the sight over but got very little change. Need more time. The only downside to this gun is the small area to grip and rack the slide. Not bad on the 9mm slide but very tight on the Kadet slide.

Walt Sherrill

BoogieMan said:
Not bad on the 9mm slide but very tight on the Kadet slide.

Yeah, a bit of a problem when the Kadet Kit is installed, because with the Kadet Kit, the slide (really, the UPPER) doesn't move -- just a small section at the rear of the slide moves, and that's similar to the BOLT in some other .22s. (Try racking the slide on a Ruger MKII-MKIV: no slide to grab, just a bolt that must be pulled by grabbing tabs.)

Quartermaster

Nice work BoogieMan! Admittedly I find grabbing the slide of the CZ75's a bit tricky too (compared to something like a Glock) because of the way the slide is seated inside the frame. It's not such a big deal on the tactical sport, I've gotten into the habit now of using the rear sight as something of a cocking handle.

I'm glad you've had the opportunity to get some time on the range! Just out of curiosity, did the kadet kit need any sort of filing down to fit your gun properly?

Peace,
Quartermaster

BoogieMan

I'm glad you've had the opportunity to get some time on the range! Just out of curiosity, did the kadet kit need any sort of filing down to fit your gun properly?
The Kadet went on very tight. I had a little trouble getting a reliable feed with Remy Golden. Switched to Aguilla HV and Federal auto match for a mag or 2 then back to Remy and the problem got better but still there. I think I am going to touch up the Kadet with a fine stone and see if I can loosen it slightly. Other than that I think it will improve reliability with more rounds down the pipe and a better lube. I wiped down the new gun oil and put on a cote of Frog Lube and went to range. When I cleaned this morning the Frog Lube was tacky.
I am completely and totally satisfied with the performance of the CZ as well as how natural it feels in my hands. This is one of the cheapest hand guns I own and its one (if not the one) of my favorites already.