6mm arc?

jetinteriorguy

so, quick update. I now have a 6mm arc build completed on a 20in ballistic advantage barrel.

Brass is an issue as expected. I bought 100rnds of Hornady factory ammo to get me started. Supposedly Peterson was supposed to start making it early this year, but so far it does no appear on their website. I will probably wind up putting some starline 6.5 grendel brass on backorder and forming my own. 100pcs is not enough for what I want to do with it. and I am not going to keep paying for factory ammo to get the brass.

Shot 90 of that yesterday. Had some accuracy issues that I am chalking up to my muzzle device coming loose.

But I did get some rounds over the chrono. the Hornady match box stated they used a 24in barrel. The black did not list a barrel length, however it was only 3g difference in bullet weight and the listed velocity was identical, Id say its probably the same length.

Hornady Match 108g eldm listed 2750fps
Chrono at 15ft
81F
18 rounds recorded
Avg 2570 fps
ES 83
SD22

Hornady Black 105g OTM listed 2750fps
Chrono at 15ft
81F
20 rounds recorded
Avg 2613 fps
ES 39
SD12

Jetinteriorguy

May be having some issues with the brass goat. not 100% sure yet. I noticed after firing the case mouths appeared to be slightly smashed or flattened on one side. nothing crazy but noticible. I took the brass goat off and chased a few down and they looked normal. Also ejection was right at 3:30 with the brass goat off. However i had a fair bit of brass on the shell deflector, making me think the brass goat was causing the casings to bang against it while being ejected. still need to test that theory a bit more.
Interesting, I haven’t had this happen with any of the .223 I’ve fired using the goat. I’ll have to try it with 7.62x39 to see if that will ding the necks.

stagpanther

Why are other better 6mm's not seen in AR's? Because they're likely a pain to get to cycle and feed properly. Getting cartridges to seat and feed from semi-auto magazines can be the make-or-break deals. The ARC--along with the 6.8 spc version (ARP has one called the 6mm Predator)--are based on proven cartridge designs that work reliably (though my personal experience with cats from both the grendel and 6.8 spc has been the 6.8 spc has an edge in reliability). 6.8 spc also has an advantage in a more straight-forward bolt/carrier topology having avoided the type 1 vs 2 and thin wall vs superbolt wars.

The dinged case mouth is not uncommon--that can happen upon ejection when the spent case pivots backwards and the mouth hits the deflector on the upper. I cut a triangle of the fuzzy stuff in velcro and attach it to the deflector and usually that solves that problem.

Last edited:

stagpanther

I've never had ARC brass or dies since it first came out--I just use starline's grendel brass and neck it down. I had to buy a grendel bushing sizing cause no ARC dies were out when I first jumped on the bandwagon. It's an easy to reload for cartridge--even if you have to improvise. The one thing I'd recommend you look for is a PRI magazine with the front cut-out so you can seat those long bullets long; some of them look like they could reach all the way down the case and hit the top of the case head web when seated to 2.26.:D:D

Its not premium brass, but its good quality.
I've shot tons of starline and Hornady grendel brass--I prefer starline's.

Last edited:

stagpanther

To shadow--I had something of a brain fart when I compared the 6mm ARC to ARP's 6mm Predator--I had forgotten that Harrison had actually developed his cartridge (using the grendel case as parent) a couple years or so before the ARC came out. I have AR builds for both--AFAICT the ARC differs only in the shoulder being set back by a few thousandths of an inch. Neither case is very long and both can seat bullets fairly long when using a magazine that allows going beyond 2.26. Harrison had actually used Hornady to make dies for his 6mm Predator--and then Hornady rolled out the ARC. That few thousandths of an inch does make something of an impact on case capacity, though.

Shadow9mm

To shadow--I had something of a brain fart when I compared the 6mm ARC to ARP's 6mm Predator--I had forgotten that Harrison had actually developed his cartridge (using the grendel case as parent) a couple years or so before the ARC came out. I have AR builds for both--AFAICT the ARC differs only in the shoulder being set back by a few thousandths of an inch. Neither case is very long and both can seat bullets fairly long when using a magazine that allows going beyond 2.26. Harrison had actually used Hornady to make dies for his 6mm Predator--and then Hornady rolled out the ARC. That few thousandths of an inch does make something of an impact on case capacity, though.
Very interesting!

stagpanther

I felt a bit silly in not readily recalling the load formulas I had used for the 6mm ARC--but then stumbled across my data for the 6mm predator and realized it is almost the same as the ARC except that it affords a bit more powder capacity--like the original grendel. Anyway, I had some really good results in the predator using 8208 XBR and I have a hunch (hope) that it works equally well in the ARC.

rickt300

I was going to put together an ARC but came into a good deal on a complete rifle chambered for the 6mm Grendel. Love it, very accurate, functions perfectly. I load it using ARC dies set out a ways just bumping the shoulder of the case formed from Grendel brass. I like the fact that getting Grendel brass is not an issue. Sure the 243 gets 2-300 fps more, so what? Both are deer capable rounds better for that job than the 223.